Crabapple timeline

My Dolgos are holding, and they have until late November most years.

My Dolgos are holding, and they have until late November most years.

Dolgos are a strange bird or else some seedling dolgos are being involved in the discussions. Perhaps weather, soils, minerals also change drop times.

Nearly every year, my grafted dolgos drop most of their apples by September 10 or earlier. 10% of the apples might hang on.

Seedling dolgos have lots of variation.

I have seen some individuals selling ‘dolgos’ on the internet at very reasonable prices. I suspect these are potted dolgo seedlings.

There may also be two varieties of dolgos being grafted by the larger suppliers in the country. My last purchased dolgo would have come from Bailey’s, which supplies much of the upper Midwest nurseries.

I know some people who feel Whitney crabs have two different varieties under that name.

Where did your dolgos come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just add to above, Dolgo I have also likely came from Baileys as sold by Wallace-Woodstock and usual price for grafted tree. Starts dropping by end of Aug but has held a bit more than usual for end of Sept this year. Never anything into Nov. Fruit is classic Dolgo shape and size from most pics.

Interesting on the Whitney. Any idea of spread on drop time for the two

Just add to above, Dolgo I have also likely came from Baileys as sold by Wallace-Woodstock and usual price for grafted tree. Starts dropping by end of Aug but has held a bit more than usual for end of Sept this year. Never anything into Nov. Fruit is classic Dolgo shape and size from most pics.

My records show that I picked Whitney on 8-15-20. My notes for 2021, say ripe on 8-25.

My buddy has a ‘whitney’ that is much later and he says the apple doesn’t resemble the Whitney he remembers from years past.

Maybe a mislabel, but he is wondering if there are two varieties.

I have a photo from 8-26 on my phone of yours truly with a Whitney in your hand, from years back. The picture might even be on this thread.

Back then I bought all my trees from Motz nursery near Eau Claire, I believe they got them from Baileys, but I am not sure. They did once tell me they got their tree orders from southern MN.
I will make a point today and walk out to the Dolgo I have in the yard, and make sure it is grafted.

Back then I bought all my trees from Motz nursery near Eau Claire, I believe they got them from Baileys, but I am not sure. They did once tell me they got their tree orders from southern MN.
I will make a point today and walk out to the Dolgo I have in the yard, and make sure it is grafted.

On many trees, I can’t tell if they were grafted or not. Especially after they age.

I have a photo from 8-26 on my phone of yours truly with a Whitney in your hand, from years back. The picture might even be on this thread.

Yes I remember you asking ok to post my pic in your early start to this thread. Normally I considered Dolgo and Whitney to ripen within about a week of each other. That tree the fruit was from for several years has unfortunately died and my other Whitney is now my sole tree for observation. Just was interested if Whitney has a broad range of ripen times normally

Yes I remember you asking ok to post my pic in your early start to this thread. Normally I considered Dolgo and Whitney to ripen within about a week of each other. That tree the fruit was from for several years has unfortunately died and my other Whitney is now my sole tree for observation. Just was interested if Whitney has a broad range of ripen times normally

I would agree with them ripening within a week of each other. This is based on only 2-3 years of observation of Whitney, many years of dolgo.

On many trees, I can’t tell if they were grafted or not. Especially after they age.

there looks to be a knot at the bottom of the Dolgo I have in the yard, so I assume it is grafted.

More on Whitney - if that's what it TRULY is (from Morse Nursery) - ours at camp is full of fruit. 1 1/4" dia. , yellowish with red blush, on the tart side.

I also tasted some Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN. Tart - but VERY tasty!! I can imagine they'd be a great addition to cider or apple sauce. 1" dia. and bright red.

Tasted the first fruits from a SLN wild apple seedling planted in spring 2013. It's yellowish-green, 2 1/2" dia. , hard & very crisp, juicy, tart mostly but with some sweetness too. Great eater!! This tree is about 15 feet tall now, and has about 30 apples on it. Fly speck and sooty blotch on them, but who cares?? Great taste - and deer don't mind cosmetic blemishes. I like it.

More on Whitney - if that's what it TRULY is (from Morse Nursery) - ours at camp is full of fruit. 1 1/4" dia. , yellowish with red blush, on the tart side.

I also tasted some Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN. Tart - but VERY tasty!! I can imagine they'd be a great addition to cider or apple sauce. 1" dia. and bright red.

Tasted the first fruits from a SLN wild apple seedling planted in spring 2013. It's yellowish-green, 2 1/2" dia. , hard & very crisp, juicy, tart mostly but with some sweetness too. Great eater!! This tree is about 15 feet tall now, and has about 30 apples on it. Fly speck and sooty blotch on them, but who cares?? Great taste - and deer don't mind cosmetic blemishes. I like it.

I wonder if Charlie was selling Whitney or Whitney seedlings.

Sounds pretty much like what I had a couple weeks ago on my tree. They have become more red now and probably a bit overripe. I too noticed definitely on the tart side. They do seem more "mini apple" like than a dolgo which has a more egg or oblong shape.

Whitney from 9-11-21
Whitney Fruit (Medium).JPG

He offered both grafted and seedlings. I planted one of his grafted Whitney's in 2017. It didn't wake up this spring.

I often wondered if his were really Whitney. He claimed they slow dropped into December, everything else I've ever read indicated they're done dropping much earlier.

He offered both grafted and seedlings. I planted one of his grafted Whitney's in 2017. It didn't wake up this spring.

I often wondered if his were really Whitney. He claimed they slow dropped into December, everything else I've ever read indicated they're done dropping much earlier.

I have heard that before.

It was a grafted tree - I saw the graft scar. Heaven only knows if it's really a Whitney Charlie grafted to that rootstock. Whatever it is, it produces pretty well, and the fruit tastes pretty good. The other "Whitney" we have hasn't done nearly as well. Only a very few fruit have been produced. Also from Morse.

Sounds pretty much like what I had a couple weeks ago on my tree. They have become more red now and probably a bit overripe. I too noticed definitely on the tart side. They do seem more "mini apple" like than a dolgo which has a more egg or oblong shape.

Whitney from 9-11-21
Looks just like what our Whitney tree has on it.

Reporting back on the Franklin Cider. Fruit is still very hard right now but seeds are showing brown. Taste is definitely pretty tart but hint of sweetness. Not any where as sweet as a ripe Chestnut or Whitney but at least to me I don't consider it a spitter. Maybe the flavors still have some to develop. Will check back in a couple weeks and see what numbers are still hanging from several trees fifth leaf on B118. Sorry about the washed out pics, guess I need to adjust the camera auto setting some. Pic is one of about average size but have to admit my soil is nothing special and plenty of grass and weeds too.

DSC01941 Franklin Cider1 (Medium).JPGDSC01942 Franklin Cider2 (Medium).JPG

Looks just like what our Whitney tree has on it.
My Whitneys are hanging extra long this year but some watercore is happening now vs. none in the few Chestnuts that have managed to hang this long. Chestnut is way better in my mind but a bit softer at this stage.

Reporting back on the Franklin Cider. Fruit is still very hard right now but seeds are showing brown. Taste is definitely pretty tart but hint of sweetness. Not any where as sweet as a ripe Chestnut or Whitney but at least to me I don't consider it a spitter. Maybe the flavors still have some to develop. Will check back in a couple weeks and see what numbers are still hanging from several trees fifth leaf on B118. Sorry about the washed out pics, guess I need to adjust the camera auto setting some. Pic is one of about average size but have to admit my soil is nothing special and plenty of grass and weeds too.

View attachment 37416View attachment 37417

Thank you for the update. I haven’t heard much about Franklin lately.

No fruit on my Franklin.