Crabapple timeline

Bur - Looks like you have a lot of "hangers" yet on some of your trees. Those deer don't look malnourished either.

I've got a couple Golden Hornets planted on G222 because that was all I could find at the time and it's not that bad of a rootstock. I have since grafted scions from them to M111 to make bigger trees.
Anyway...my third leaf GH maybe 7' tall really load up on quarter size orange little crabs that are beautiful to the eye and taste OK, also have crazy slow drop some hang all winter long. Monday I was at the farm and this GH is just about to break blossom and still has fruit hanging on it.

h6F8Gk0.jpg

I've got a couple Golden Hornets planted on G222 because that was all I could find at the time and it's not that bad of a rootstock. I have since grafted scions from them to M111 to make bigger trees.
Anyway...my third leaf GH maybe 7' tall really load up on quarter size orange little crabs that are beautiful to the eye and taste OK, also have crazy slow drop some hang all winter long. Monday I was at the farm and this GH is just about to break blossom and still has fruit hanging on it.

h6F8Gk0.jpg

My experiences with GH are the same. Great deer tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t have as many apples as last year, but will have some.

To the left of the tree line is new seeding alfalfa. The foodplot in front is beans with about 25% corn in it. Apple trees to the right.
2c4c0640ea7d66f27a28099e8801b51b.jpg

This Kerr crab rested last year, but will make up for it this year.
b10b5737613563d75f34c5842834a8d1.jpg

WOW!!!!!

I was up yesterday and I only had one tree with blossoms. Everything is still tight clusters at best. I did see a few blossoms on one of my franklins and 90% of last year’s grafts made it through the winter. After 7 years starting to see some good things happen.

Trees showing their first blossoms and possible first fruit tasting for me are Rescue, Whitney, and Bastian’s Orange Flesh crabs.

There are also two or three seedlings showing their first blossoms.

I have eaten many Whitney’s off of the ‘mother tree.’ Heck if I know that is the proper name for the scion donor.

9bfee3fdd330b70ebf7432d879ff65f8.jpg

Here is a neglected seedling that is crowded by tag alder and willow with first blossoms.

Trees showing their first blossoms and possible first fruit tasting for me are Rescue, Whitney, and Bastian’s Orange Flesh crabs.

There are also two or three seedlings showing their first blossoms.

I have eaten many Whitney’s off of the ‘mother tree.’ Heck if I know that is the proper name for the scion donor.

a23874244e90f004897f2d676c5f5870.jpg

Bur,
Nice on the Whitney as that's a lot of flowers for first bloom. Whitney seems to be a fast growing early bearing tree for me. Had first blossoms at 3rd leaf but much less than what your tree shows. Overall a nice tree but ripens earlier than most here like late Aug. Whitney and Chestnut crabs are definitely quick growers

I am finally getting some blooming with the regular apple varieties at 5th leaf. Enterprise and Wolf River.

I was up yesterday and I only had one tree with blossoms. Everything is still tight clusters at best. I did see a few blossoms on one of my franklins and 90% of last year’s grafts made it through the winter. After 7 years starting to see some good things happen.

1 of 4 Franklins also has a few blossoms on my place. 4th leaf on B118. They have been modest growers in my locations. Crab apple varieties grow much faster here.

1 of 4 Franklins also has a few blossoms on my place. 4th leaf on B118. They have been modest growers in my locations. Crab apple varieties grow much faster here.

I feel crab apples are more tolerant of less than ideal conditions as compared to larger apples.

I just found a crab along the edge of my alfalfa field. I have probably driven by it thousands of times in 30 years, but it started to bloom.
0cc3693af8726968e1ffc4ad4b16a163.jpg

c27185aa42021a2dff8ecb5f6082b121.jpg

Here is another first bloom for me. A got scion from another deer habitat buddy.

c8d9af609a98e9b3aa21214a4986fc5b.jpg

I planted these Manchurian crabs over 30 years ago. I wish I had planted some edible sized crabs or at least some dolgo seedlings.

Bur,
Nice on the Whitney as that's a lot of flowers for first bloom. Whitney seems to be a fast growing early bearing tree for me. Had first blossoms at 3rd leaf but much less than what your tree shows. Overall a nice tree but ripens earlier than most here like late Aug. Whitney and Chestnut crabs are definitely quick growers

I am finally getting some blooming with the regular apple varieties at 5th leaf. Enterprise and Wolf River.
Funny you say that, I just plucked all the blossoms off my 3rd year Whitney on B118 yesterday.