Cover Crops Performance and Roles

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
Interesting charts on different cover crops.

Attachments

• MCCP_Chart_2.pdf
    520.5 KB · Views: 37
Put the whole book out there. If you're a soil wonk along with plotting, you need this in your bathroom library.

http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Managing-Cover-Crops-Profitably-3rd-Edition/Text-Version

It is priceless when thinking about creating your own plot blends while addressing your soil needs at the same time. It also covers ease of establishment, drilling and broadcast rates, control considerations, residual considerations (like rye), termination considerations, what does well hot, cold, dry, wet etc.

I have both the second and third editions saved right to my computer. Excellent resource!

WOW I started reading and now my head hurts. Lot of information there.

I have read through much of the SARE information but I still have questions on how it applies to food plotters. Maybe someone has a resource? For example, how many growing days is required for there to be benefits for each cover crop? The SARE information assumes full establishment while plotters often terminate before full establishment and often are growing during cold periods. In my situation in September (frost date Sept. 23) I over-seed my corn and soybeans with clover and rye and then terminate in mid May (around the 20th for planting); what am I achieving for N for my clover and root growth for rye with sub-optimal growing conditions? Much of this will differ between plotters depending on growing days and soil type but some guidance would be helpful. I am pretty far north and so far rye is the primary CC I am using to build my soil. I like the idea of the other CC but with just over-seeding I have not had good luck with germination of radish or even clover. Rye even requires generous amounts (150 lbs acre) to get good coverage. I plant about 6 acres of plots and have been applying rye for 4 years and other than OK germination I am impressed with its benefits.

You are going to be hard pressed to find that info Freeborn. These "studies" are all done with actual farming in mind and you are correct, they all assume a full season of crop growth. This is one reason that if a cover crop is going to be laid down only for winter ground cover, it is mostly cereal grains that are used, not really clover so much. For most, it is not worth the expense to plant $2-$3 a pound clover when cereal grains can be put down for under .35 cents a pound. The N credits are just not there when the crop is only actively growing at most 2 months in the fall and 3 months in the spring before termination. This makes the benefits of a short term clover crop not as economically feasible as a cover crop of cereal grains. Don't get me wrong, if you are making nodules, you are producing N, how much is the question. Go out before you plow down your clover and dig up a few plants and check the root systems for nodulation, this will give you an idea of the amount of underground OM from the root systems as well. Then do the same with the rye. As you said, all this will depend on the individual application, so the only real way to know on your place is to get out the shovel and get your hands dirty in your own dirt.

The book above references the topics you mentioned, but it doesn't quantify variances based on conditions. Their observations are rather results taken from actual studies in places. For example, there is a spot in there where one legume was noted leaving 170lb of nitrogen/Ac in one example somewhere (I'm winging it here). Another mentions how deep sudex roots will tiller if mowed when it reaches 3-4 feet. Depth of cowpea roots reached 8 feet in one trial.

I find it most useful for gauging ease of establishment and broadcast rates. We did throw and grow last year with rye and daikon radish. We didn't even drive it in or drag a log. We got very lucky with rain and it went gangbusters. The reason I picked those two was because they were listed as easy to establish via broadcasting. Now my hope for soybeans or cowpeas via broadcasting is going to be a long shot.

You are going to be hard pressed to find that info Freeborn. These "studies" are all done with actual farming in mind and you are correct, they all assume a full season of crop growth. This is one reason that if a cover crop is going to be laid down only for winter ground cover, it is mostly cereal grains that are used, not really clover so much. For most, it is not worth the expense to plant $2-$3 a pound clover when cereal grains can be put down for under .35 cents a pound. The N credits are just not there when the crop is only actively growing at most 2 months in the fall and 3 months in the spring before termination. This makes the benefits of a short term clover crop not as economically feasible as a cover crop of cereal grains. Don't get me wrong, if you are making nodules, you are producing N, how much is the question. Go out before you plow down your clover and dig up a few plants and check the root systems for nodulation, this will give you an idea of the amount of underground OM from the root systems as well. Then do the same with the rye. As you said, all this will depend on the individual application, so the only real way to know on your place is to get out the shovel and get your hands dirty in your own dirt.

Very good advice wiscwhip.

Each farm is different and each year can be different. I'm betting on the rye and hopeful with the clover. With my different soils it will be different depending on my plot location.

I'll get the shovel out and see what I can learn.

Thanks for the advice.

FB

Very good advice wiscwhip.

Each farm is different and each year can be different. I'm betting on the rye and hopeful with the clover. With my different soils it will be different depending on my plot location.

I'll get the shovel out and see what I can learn.

Thanks for the advice.

FB
I know we have discussed it before, but do you have enough acres to let that broadcast clover stand for one full season, or even longer?

Say fall broadcast in 2014 or frost seed early 2015 and take it out in the spring of 2016?

I know we have discussed it before, but do you have enough acres to let that broadcast clover stand for one full season, or even longer?

Say fall broadcast in 2014 or frost seed early 2015 and take it out in the spring of 2016?
Art, unfortunately I don't so I may just stick with rye. I do have an old grain drill so depending on the spring I may try planting grains in April and plow down end of may for beans/corn.