Cooking deer ribs in crock pot

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
My son sent me this picture today of some deer ribs he cooked in a crock pot. He said they were as good as any beef ribs he had ever eaten and he barely used any marinade at all. Meat was so tender it just fell off the bones.

Last edited:
My son an I made some that way last year and it was pretty tasty. One thing I did what add a little beef fat to render over the ribs too.

Was that a cut leaving the backstrap attached to the ribs at the top or is that cut from a lower section? Wouldn't think there would be much meat on the bone lower.

Either way they sure look good.

Was that a cut leaving the backstrap attached to the ribs at the top or is that cut from a lower section? Wouldn't think there would be much meat on the bone lower.

Either way they sure look good.

No, the backstraps were removed. That is meat between and around the bones.

He had tried cooking ribs before without much luck but was elated at how these turned out in the crock pot. Those ribs are from the deer I killed, but we saved the ribs from the one he killed too.

Never would have guessed.... I didn't think there was enough meat to bother! Looks like I was wrong.

-John

he didn't have to scrape the tallow off the roof of his mouth?? I would love to know before prep on the ribs. what they looked like before going in. I have never saved the ribs. ever.

he didn't have to scrape the tallow off the roof of his mouth?? I would love to know before prep on the ribs. what they looked like before going in. I have never saved the ribs. ever.

He said they were delicious. I didn't look at them before prep, but I would suppose they looked like any deer ribs when you pull the hide off one. I took that deer to a processor and told him to cut the ribs just like he would cut beef ribs. We got several packages back, but I personally haven't opened any. I think the secret is the crock pot. We've tried grilling them before and it's like trying to eat your boots.

if you wouldn't mind... I would like a picture posted pre cook on the ribs. Meaning what the ribs look like before they hit the crock pot. Also, more details on the cook time. By the looks of the hill billy teeth on the ribs they were in there for a LONG time.

I tried an experiment this weekend on my pellet grill with a piece of hind quarter, about a 1 pound chunk. I smoked it for 6 hours with some pork ribs, actually about 7. It was pretty dry, but decent. ribs were amazing.

if you wouldn't mind... I would like a picture posted pre cook on the ribs. Meaning what the ribs look like before they hit the crock pot. Also, more details on the cook time. By the looks of the hill billy teeth on the ribs they were in there for a LONG time.

I tried an experiment this weekend on my pellet grill with a piece of hind quarter, about a 1 pound chunk. I smoked it for 6 hours with some pork ribs, actually about 7. It was pretty dry, but decent. ribs were amazing.

I just went to the freezer, and the one package left is vacuum sealed in plastic. I can ask him to take a pic the next time he cooks ribs, but he may or may not remember to.

What I can do is ask the details of how he cooked them next time he is home and give you that information.

I am interested. My dad talks about someone doing this at his camp 30 years ago all the time. I know on Meateater Steve Rynella did it in kind of a buried Dutch oven setup on low heat all day. I saved that episode on my DVR.

I have never saved them and I have always tossed them. I had them once when I was younger and you had to scrape the tallow off the roof of your mouth. Looked nothing like Natives kids. I was curious on the prep. I know there is a "layer" on top of the ribs. I know in processing every deer I have ever killed in my life, you can pull that away leaving ONLY the ribs. That layer has a lot of fat on it. Hence looking at the pic of what is done in the processing piece was so important to me.

One of my favorite videos on you tube. Watch the whole thing.. but at 4:51 starts the process of what I am talking about on the ribs. Is that left on??? minus the part where he cuts out the backstraps. I got that figured out. :) LOL

Okay, below is reply from son on the questions:

I cooked them on low heat in a crock pot with a locking lid overnight, maybe 6 hours. The only marinade I did was salt, barbecue dry rub, and a beer to keep it moist. The bones were sliding right out of the meat. I'd cook them like that and drain them and then add barbecue sauce.

Some of that sticky fat was in the liquid after they cooked but it wasn't an issue. It rose to the top and hardened after it all cooled off.

well... can't wait to shoot some deer next year and try them. regret not saving them this year. Although.. they had some damage.. :)

well... can't wait to shoot some deer next year and try them. regret not saving them this year. Although.. they had some damage.. :)

Good luck with it. If he provides anymore info later I will post it up.

Thank you Native, I am going to give that a try next year. Pass along some thanks from me to your son. I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Native, I am going to give that a try next year. Pass along some thanks from me to your son. I greatly appreciate it.

I will do that willy, and I hope it turns out good for you. I