Conifers for bedding question

Bc4abc

5 year old buck +
I'm in the mountains of southwest VA ...I have two areas picked out to create some bedding for our deer and my thoughts are to achieve this using conifers and and bushy type trees. Both areas are.prob 1/2 acre in size on a hill side .....I have loamy sandy low.ph soil ...Roughly 5.3 pH

Any thoughts on type of conifers/trees for my area and any tips ?

Thanks in advance

What conifers grow there?

You probably need a flat spot like a point or bench for bedding. A hillside with slope might be tough to work with until the root mass gets big enough to create a flat spot for one deer.

White pine...Loblolly ...VA pine ....Amoung others .....

Hill side has some flat.spots already built in

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Any spruce?

Do your conifers grow on certain slope, maybe north facing?

Yes we have some spruce too

Plant some Norway spruce. Tolerant to many soil conditions and the fastest grower.

Norway Spruce are a great choice if they do well in your area. They are what I plant for bedding areas.

Norway Spruce are a great choice if they do well in your area. They are what I plant for bedding areas.
Diesel.....Can you elaborate on your experience with them? Do Dee r browse? grow fast ? Spacing? Pictures?

I have planted thousands of bare roots with a dibble bar over the years. Somewhere between 10-15 years worth of trees and shrubs in the ground. I just recently started planting plugs due to the ease of planting. This will be my third year planting the plugs. I am sold on the plugs after planting them just due to the ease in planting them and they seem to have just a bit better survival rate.

The Norway are pretty dense and the deer really gravitate to Norway plantings, especially in the winter. I assume much of it is due to their ability to break the wind and insulation properties. They keep their lower branches and the deer do not browse them. I have never had a problem with deer nipping the seedlings either. We have high deer densities and the shrubs I plant get hammered if they aren't protected. Interested to hear others experiences on that.

The Norways grow pretty quick and start to come into their own about year 6 or 7. They are usually at least as tall as the deer then and with the weeds and grass between them the deer feel pretty comfortable and they are a beginning to be a good bedding area for me. 10-12 years and you have legitimate Pine thickets depending on how tight you space them. I usually space them about 12 feet apart in mass plantings and don't worry about the few that don't make it unless I lose a bunch. This last summer we went through a good drought and I am waiting to see how many I lost. A bunch look sick and I am not sure if they are going to make it. I will probably buy plugs to stick in last years planting due to the uncertainty of those plantings. I don't have any pictures and will have to take some.

I have planted thousands of bare roots with a dibble bar over the years. Somewhere between 10-15 years worth of trees and shrubs in the ground. I just recently started planting plugs due to the ease of planting. This will be my third year planting the plugs. I am sold on the plugs after planting them just due to the ease in planting them and they seem to have just a bit better survival rate.

The Norway are pretty dense and the deer really gravitate to Norway plantings, especially in the winter. I assume much of it is due to their ability to break the wind and insulation properties. They keep their lower branches and the deer do not browse them. I have never had a problem with deer nipping the seedlings either. We have high deer densities and the shrubs I plant get hammered if they aren't protected. Interested to hear others experiences on that.

The Norways grow pretty quick and start to come into their own about year 6 or 7. They are usually at least as tall as the deer then and with the weeds and grass between them the deer feel pretty comfortable and they are a beginning to be a good bedding area for me. 10-12 years and you have legitimate Pine thickets depending on how tight you space them. I usually space them about 12 feet apart in mass plantings and don't worry about the few that don't make it unless I lose a bunch. This last summer we went through a good drought and I am waiting to see how many I lost. A bunch look sick and I am not sure if they are going to make it. I will probably buy plugs to stick in last years planting due to the uncertainty of those plantings. I don't have any pictures and will have to take some.
Thanks so much

My advice would be plant twice as many as you think you will need.

I plant norways/blue and black spruce/white pine and hemlock. Deer eat on the white pine, dry summers can really thin them out and bucks will rub way more than you would think.