Chief River Nursery

Belo

A good 3 year old buck
Has anyone ever ordered from these folks? I subscribe to "if it looks to good to be true" and their prices seem just that for some of the oaks and conifers I was looking at. At least compared to some other online retailers. Or maybe their prices are good and I'm just new to this. Recommend some others if you have them please.

please remove link if not allowed.

I have in years past, some of their prices are good, and others are very high. I have an order through them now for 25 white cedars.

I've ordered from them and can't complain at all. Prices usually go up on older/bigger trees. For any evergreens I have been going with the PLUGS the last few years because they are so much easier to plant and they seem to do just fine. jmo

I've ordered seedling apple trees from them in the past and I was happy with the quality.

Has anyone ever ordered from these folks? I subscribe to "if it looks to good to be true" and their prices seem just that for some of the oaks and conifers I was looking at. At least compared to some other online retailers. Or maybe their prices are good and I'm just new to this. Recommend some others if you have them please.

please remove link if not allowed.
I've ordered several times, the quality of trees seems to keep dropping every year though. Last year was probably my last, the bare root birch trees came leafed out already and nothing covering the roots. I called with my displeasure but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, most of the trees died.

appreciate the feedback all. thanks.

Placed a smallish sub $200 order yesterday for some doug firs I want to plant as a property privacy wall and threw some 2'-3' white oaks in the cart. They are by far the cheapest for doug firs and reasonable for the oaks. Will update this thread if it's a sh!t show or if it turns out well.

I picked delivery for the week of 4-20, that is an average date I plant. So I should be getting my order next week, and let you know how mine turned out as well.

I was supposed to get an order of 12 canadian hemlock and 6 concolor fir this week. They are not showing up cause they couldnt get them lifted. Probably the last time I order from them. I had some Dolgo crab a few years ago. All 5 of them died within a few weeks. Not impressed.

I was supposed to get an order of 12 canadian hemlock and 6 concolor fir this week. They are not showing up cause they couldnt get them lifted. Probably the last time I order from them. I had some Dolgo crab a few years ago. All 5 of them died within a few weeks. Not impressed.

Not the news I wanted to hear. The good thing, I only have 25 trees ordered from them, the bad news, I only have 30 trees ordered total this year, that I know of.

I would hope mine ships soon as well, although we have time in the northeast. I'm waiting on my whitetail hill chestnuts and persimmons that I ordered on black friday too

They're all getting crazy. The SWCD tree sales still seem like really good deals, but as most have discovered, the timing can get tricky if you don't have a wide open spring calendar.

This is the price list from Chief River on 2-3' ROD bare roots. This is why I get excited about moving around and clearing around what is already on or near my property. Had I bought 50 quantity of 2' dogwoods from them, it would have cost nearly $700 after shipping. I rounded mine up in ten minutes just walking around the bush just off my yard. I'm crazy, but I'm not $700 for one dogwood experiment crazy.

1713836535258.png

The chief river price on what I pulled from under the powerlines and off my own property this season would have been over $2,000.

They're all getting crazy. The SWCD tree sales still seem like really good deals, but as most have discovered, the timing can get tricky if you don't have a wide open spring calendar.

This is the price list from Chief River on 2-3' ROD bare roots. This is why I get excited about moving around and clearing around what is already on or near my property. Had I bought 50 quantity of 2' dogwoods from them, it would have cost nearly $700 after shipping. I rounded mine up in ten minutes just walking around the bush just off my yard. I'm crazy, but I'm not $700 for one dogwood experiment crazy.

View attachment 63975

The chief river price on what I pulled from under the powerlines and off my own property this season would have been over $2,000.

Yeah I was originally drawn to them because their doug firs were the cheapest around, even compared to local. I will still reserve judgment based on what I receive though.

There's 2 schools of thought here. Those that don't have the time or property to scavenge for trees and those who don't have the time to wait, or don't want to wait to start working on our habitat and the later comes at a price. I could probably rather easily have found enough doug fir's on my and my dad's land to transplant, but just don't have the time with a job and 3 young kids playing 2 sports.