2024 tree prices

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
I see let's go Brandon inflation has hit the local NRCSs pretty good this year. Seeing some really big increases on tree price over just 2 years ago. Could get anything you wanted (bundle of 25) for $35 just two years. That ship has SAILED at most of the counties I checked out. One county jumped their potted conifers from $10 2 years ago to $12 last year to $18 next year. Every NRCS is a little different. Availability does not seem to be great this year either so you better start ordering. Let's go Brandon.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 214530.png

Your county is seriously ripping you guys off. They buy from your own state run or subsidized nurseries. They are actually making a profit on the trees you paid to have grown with your tax dollars.

Here are our prices ...

1701806539867.png

Last edited:
Something else not mentioned yet is the drought. I know for many of the nut trees their harvests have been very limited for the second year in a row, which has limited nut sales and seedlings sales. Lower numbers of seedlings drives prices up.

MDC hasn't changed their prices. They did start charging more for shipping last year, but they were probably under-charging like everyone else before. I would love to ask state nurseries what their demand has done in recent years. I know MDC has been selling out of most things within a few days of the sale. That was never the case before. I am sure demand is higher than it has ever been.

Yeah, Kandiyohi's prices are nuts this year and doesnt look like they have any container stock like past couple years.. Dont see anything from Meeker yet.

I sure would like a bundle of plums!

For me in NY, I can buy bundles of trees directly from the state nursery. They deliver it to the county oil and water. They also sell trees and get most of them from the state nursery.

I buy both directly and from the county. The mark-up goes for habitat work. Here in NY, it might not be of interest to most hunters. But, it helps prevent roads washing out during floods and helps maintain good fishing habitat in the creeks. I usually buy a bunch from them, and then hand the bundle back to the for their habitat work.

I bought plums a few years ago. MAybe they dont like my heavy clay soil. Doing ok. Need to be caged well. Also, plums produce pretty early too. Some plums are good, they produce on poor sandy soils. Some are used for strip mine remediation. Im actually digging mine up to put apple trees in.

Yeah, Kandiyohi's prices are nuts this year and doesnt look like they have any container stock like past couple years.. Dont see anything from Meeker yet.

I looked at Kandi too. Too darn much. I am waiting for Meeker too. They usually have a good selection and trees. Might have to head down to Blue Earth for some other stuff I want. I'm gonna email Meeker and get the list now.

Fruit trees have jumped in price also, I used to average around $30 for bare root trees for apples/pears now many are $40 or more.

For me in NY, I can buy bundles of trees directly from the state nursery. They deliver it to the county oil and water. They also sell trees and get most of them from the state nursery.

I buy both directly and from the county. The mark-up goes for habitat work. Here in NY, it might not be of interest to most hunters. But, it helps prevent roads washing out during floods and helps maintain good fishing habitat in the creeks. I usually buy a bunch from them, and then hand the bundle back to the for their habitat work.

I bought plums a few years ago. MAybe they dont like my heavy clay soil. Doing ok. Need to be caged well. Also, plums produce pretty early too. Some plums are good, they produce on poor sandy soils. Some are used for strip mine remediation. Im actually digging mine up to put apple trees in.
comparing what i get in NY to what I have bought from MO and OH.....saratoga might as well have a used car salesmen talking to us; theyre junk

Goodhue county's prices are in line with what they have been the past three years with $1 or $2 increases most years. They did say selection was low this year because of the drought. I still bought a bunch because I have a buckthorn reforestation project commitment, but in hind sight it may have been a good year to take a year off.

Pipestone county's jumped from 37.50 to 62.50 for a bundle of 25, still have a great selection though.

Got my orders placed yesterday. Bundle of 25 chokecherries are for my brother and 4 of the 2 gallon white cedar pots. The rest are mine. I also have 12 Canadian hemlock and 6 concolor firs coming from Chief river.

I plan to pot up 15 of my bareroot black hills spruce and 15 of the white cedar bare roots into the leftover pots if they are small sized. The bareroot conifers come in bundles of 25. The only thing that wont get the full treatment are the tamaracks. I'm gonna plant them along my travel corridors for rubbing trees and leave them unprotected with no weed mat or mulch.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 190336.jpgScreenshot 2024-02-16 190940.jpg

I have slacked this year, I only ordered a dozen white cedars. Some what sticker shocked, and somewhat for lack of places to plant trees. I am planning on opening up the canopy, and taking down as many big Aspen trees, and large maple trees as I can burn in a couple years. By doing so, I will obviously have a couple years of firewood, but also open the canopy up, and allow new, and young plants to pop up and hopefully thicken up some areas, and fresh food to fill in for deer.

The last couple years I had been burning mostly Aspen, and Maple, not the best wood, but free, and I have an over abundance of it that is large, and breaking off in storms anyhow.

My plan of planting ROD and other small brush will continue. I may still decide to do a smaller planting of brush this spring, but opening up the canopy, and getting firewood seems like a cheap, productive way to provide cover and food.

^^^

What type of areas are you planting all that stuff in??? You weren't kidding when you said you had lots of work to do. Is all of this getting planted with a shovel and do you do weed mats??

Everything is getting mats. Hybrid willow might not get cages. Some BHS might not get cages. All with shovel or dibble. Probably most won’t get mulch. Ground is pretty wet where most of this is going typically.

The spruce are primarily building on to the screen I’ve been working on the past 2 years. Some will go in areas where I’m cutting mature aspen, maple, ash, basswood, birch, etc to open up the canopy and release oaks as I have zero conifers in my woods.

The hybrid willows are adding to the spruce screen. Viburnum, highbush cran, and ROD are going in a bedding/browse/staging are adjacent to one of my food plots.

Boy your wife is sure gonna be tired from running the dibble bar and shovel.... I hope you will pick up half dozen bags of mulch and at least try it on a few trees. I'd rather see you buy 25 BHS and with the money you save go get 20-25 bag of mulch and just try it. Do some on the norways and some on the BHS and report back to us in 2 years. Hopefully we get decent rain in MN this year. Last 3 years have been terrible. My watering career is over.

Boy your wife is sure gonna be tired from running the dibble bar and shovel....
Haha! she can probably plant circles around me these days. Im going to ask the neighbor with kids if his kids want to make some $ this spring. Need to take more than one day off work this year too.