2024 tree prices

@BuckSutherland do you know the dates for meeker SWCD tree pick up?

April is too early usually for me so I of course signed up to shoot a rifle match in IA the last weekend in April and that’s looking like a good time to plant now if trees are available.

@BuckSutherland do you know the dates for meeker SWCD tree pick up?

April is too early usually for me so I of course signed up to shoot a rifle match in IA the last weekend in April and that’s looking like a good time to plant now if trees are available.

Meeker SWCD pick up is this Friday and Saturday. April 19th and 20th. I will be heading straight north with mine to plant. I have more trees ordered from the Nicollet county SWCD and they aren't coming until the following week. My shipment also got delayed from Chief River Nursery.

500 white spruce and 100 white plum bare root trees arrived yesterday from the MN DNR nursery. I also received 20 Dolgo crabapple seedlings from a private nursery that will be used for my grafting efforts this spring. It will be a busy stretch coming up since my kids' turkey season opened today as well.

^^^

Probably half of all the conifers I have ever planted in my woods are white spruce that I rip out of the road ditch from underneath the powerlines. 95% of them get no special treatment, just transplanted and walk away. They are my least favorite spruce, but for the most part the deer leave them alone. They will browse young tender ones along deer trails, but once they get a little size they don't touch them. I am becoming a meyer and black hills spruce snob. If you ever get a chance to plant some meyer spruce I highly recommend them. As they age they will retain their branches to the ground unlike a white. Excellent selection if you have the long game in mind. Deer dont touch my meyers.

Where did u find the dolgo and how long ago did u order?

Meeker SWCD pick up is this Friday and Saturday. April 19th and 20th. I will be heading straight north with mine to plant. I have more trees ordered from the Nicollet county SWCD and they aren't coming until the following week. My shipment also got delayed from Chief River Nursery.

Thanks! Guess my planting is starting early. Land is looking water logged right now, hopefully it dries out a little.

500 white spruce and 100 white plum bare root trees arrived yesterday from the MN DNR nursery. I also received 20 Dolgo crabapple seedlings from a private nursery that will be used for my grafting efforts this spring. It will be a busy stretch coming up since my kids' turkey season opened today as well.
Would you mind sharing where you got the dolgo crabapple seedlings? I am going to be planting some next year.

Would you mind sharing where you got the dolgo crabapple seedlings? I am going to be planting some next year.
Yellow River Nurseries in Marshfield Wisconsin. I purchased 20 seedlings for $3.95 each. I believe this is the first time I've ordered from Yellow River Nursery, but it was the only place I could find Dolgo seedlings at a reasonable price. I'll use most as rootstock for grafting, but I'll likely also plant several directly since seedling dolgos are great for deer.

I've ordered dolgo seedlings from Chief River Nursery in the past and had great luck with them. It has been a while though - probably 2018 or so, but they were really nice seedlings that did well.