Chainsaw safety wear PPE

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I have pushed my luck for many years. I started cutting wood when I was about 12, and about every winter it was a weekend job. Never wore safety equipment. Now I am in my 50's, and feel its time to start to think about safety. In the past I always felt like I was in control, I had the strength to keep the saw in a safe position, and I always looked up, if the tree wasnt safe, I either didnt cut it, or I just dropped a tree onto it to push it over.

Anyhow, I want affordable chaps, boots, helmet, and gloves. I am thinking about getting the Husqvarna helmet with ear muffs. Not sure on chaps, gloves, and boots. I am looking for recommendations. I do want to keep it affordable.

Reactions: 356
I have pushed my luck for many years. I started cutting wood when I was about 12, and about every winter it was a weekend job. Never wore safety equipment. Now I am in my 50's, and feel its time to start to think about safety. In the past I always felt like I was in control, I had the strength to keep the saw in a safe position, and I always looked up, if the tree wasnt safe, I either didnt cut it, or I just dropped a tree onto it to push it over.

Anyhow, I want affordable chaps, boots, helmet, and gloves. I am thinking about getting the Husqvarna helmet with ear muffs. Not sure on chaps, gloves, and boots. I am looking for recommendations. I do want to keep it affordable.

A couple years I searched a bunch and the chaps that kept coming up on the chainsaw forums were labonville full wrap. That is what I bought and have no complaints. I have a husky helmet as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chaps are nice as they not only protect from saw they keep back thorns.I worked on a guy that laid his forearm across a running saw.it wasn't pretty.The earmuffs on the helmets are nice also.Make sure chaps have the snap together buckles for ease of use

I use this helmet from Amazon, no complaints. Is better than the other affordable one that I picked up at Fleet. https://a.co/d/hgSRPyq

I have the husqvarna chaps. No complaints on them either. Never looked at a more affordable option though.

For boots I use my safety toe work boots. Don't know what's out there for wood cutting specific footwear. Work pays for my boots so I never felt a need to buy something else.

If you buy the Labonville chaps, get one of the longer lengths, unless you are very short. I’m only 5’ 9” and the regular size is too short. It’s been a while since I checked into this, but talk to someone at the company before buying.

If you buy the Labonville chaps, get one of the longer lengths, unless you are very short. I’m only 5’ 9” and the regular size is too short. It’s been a while since I checked into this, but talk to someone at the company before buying.

This is great advice, as I have the same problem. I'm 6'2" and have the longs and they are too short. I think I'd even do a 2x next time I need a pair. The problem is my LaBonville chaps are very well built that they just don't need to be replaced. I keep waiting for them to wear out or a buckle to break to justify a new pair. But they are not in need of replacement...so I just deal with the highwaters for now.

So for the
This is great advice, as I have the same problem. I'm 6'2" and have the longs and they are too short. I think I'd even do a 2x next time I need a pair. The problem is my LaBonville chaps are very well built that they just don't need to be replaced. I keep waiting for them to wear out or a buckle to break to justify a new pair. But they are not in need of replacement...so I just deal with the highwaters for now.
Did you use their chart to measure, and their chart is off? Or did you just guess on the size? I am 6'1, and wondering which ones I should order? I measure 42 at their measuring points. So I am right in the middle of their x-long, and 2x-long.

Here is their chart

Tips

Measure from the top of your belt down to the top of your foot and use this as your overall length.
  • Short 28"
  • Regular 32"
  • Long 36"
  • X-Long 40"
  • 2X-Long 44"
  • 3X-Long 48"

If you wear a higher pull on class 2 chainsaw boot they will protect the shin area much better and then you don’t need to worry that the chaps are high water

C757993B-3CDC-470C-BB7A-90FDF7DEE00E.jpeg

So for the

Did you use their chart to measure, and their chart is off? Or did you just guess on the size? I am 6'1, and wondering which ones I should order? I measure 42 at their measuring points. So I am right in the middle of their x-long, and 2x-long.

Here is their chart

Tips

Measure from the top of your belt down to the top of your foot and use this as your overall length.
  • Short 28"
  • Regular 32"
  • Long 36"
  • X-Long 40"
  • 2X-Long 44"
  • 3X-Long 48"

I've had them so long I don't even recall. I think I just bought the longs not even realizing they made x-long and even 2x-longs. Having a good pair of higher boots like the ones Buckly referenced wold certainly help.

In fact, I think I am heading to buy a pair right now.

I am doing a ride along tomorrow while my wife is shopping, I will be out looking for a pair of these tomorrow.

I just ordered a set of the LaBonville chaps

I have stihl chaps that look like the labonville ones. No idea how they stack up.

I've been holding off on the hard hat thing as I was looking for a setup without the ear muffs. I like wearing electronic hearing protection vs having everything being muffled. I know I could just remove the ones that come with it but that's been my excuse at least.

I have stihl chaps that look like the labonville ones. No idea how they stack up.

I've been holding off on the hard hat thing as I was looking for a setup without the ear muffs. I like wearing electronic hearing protection vs having everything being muffled. I know I could just remove the ones that come with it but that's been my excuse at least.

As I admitted in the first post, I havent been much for PPE, no steel toed boots, no hearing protection, no hard hats, I have been somewhat cautious with eye protection. I will probably only wear the helmet when falling trees, I am sure I wont wear it while bucking logs, or limbing on the ground. I will put the ear muffs on when I am wearing the helmet, so I will get the helmet with muffs, just to help my hearing while wearing the helmet. Hopefully it will make me want to wear them more often, but I doubt it.

My perspective on ear pro has changed radically in recent years. I cringe thinking about the college years and snow goose hunts where shooting 10 boxes (250 rounds) of 12 ga with guys 2' to either side of you doing the same wasn't uncommon and always was without ear pro. My ears are frequently lightly ringing now and if I had my ears examined they'd probably recommend hearing aids. When I go elk hunting I frequently can't hear the bulls responding with bugels when my friends do. I fear the days of me needing hearing aids are near and i'm only 37.

The electronic hearing pro options out there now don't bother me in the slightest to wear and I can hear MORE than i would with naked ears. In 2021 wearing my ear pro resulted in me hearing elk that I never would have without it.

Last edited:
I have pretty bad hearing loss, with constant ringing. I know I should be wearing protection, and I am slowly trying to improve with it.

Always remember ... there are old lumberjacks and there are bold lumberjacks,; however, there are no old bold lumberjacks 😉

Affordability should not be the concern, quality equipment should be. Either a Husqvarna or Skill helmet with ear muffs and a full face screen. I also wear safety glasses. Under the ear muffs you can wear ear plugs, I do that even when I am target shooting. oots with safety toes are good in the event you drop a big chunk of wood.

I don't wear chaps, just heavy duty bibs. I also make sure i have heavy duty jacket like Carhartt to cover my arms. Heavy duty gloves also to prevent chain coming lose and whipping across them.

The other thing to add is a sharp saw that reduces bucking.

Always remember ... there are old lumberjacks and there are bold lumberjacks,; however, there are no old bold lumberjacks 😉

Affordability should not be the concern, quality equipment should be. Either a Husqvarna or Skill helmet with ear muffs and a full face screen. I also wear safety glasses. Under the ear muffs you can wear ear plugs, I do that even when I am target shooting. oots with safety toes are good in the event you drop a big chunk of wood.

I don't wear chaps, just heavy duty bibs. I also make sure i have heavy duty jacket like Carhartt to cover my arms. Heavy duty gloves also to prevent chain coming lose and whipping across them.

The other thing to add is a sharp saw that reduces bucking.
Haha good line. My grandpa ran a sawmill most his life. Won the state wood chopping championship two consecutive years in the 40's then was too busy to bother entering again. Was always amazed he never got badly hurt or lost any fingers. They didn't wear any ppe in those days, just kept their wits about them. Two hands on the saw, no walking while the chain was still spinning, sharpened chains. His hearing was gone later in life though.

I purchased the Labonville Kevlar chaps, and the Husqvarna helmet with the ratchet knob to adjust it. I was looking all over for some of them Oregon boots, I can’t find them anywhere. Except over seas.

So I am still looking for gloves and boots. I also have several of the older Carhart thick jackets that should protect fairly decent.

I haven’t received any of the items yet, and I bucked 9 logs yesterday from 20”-30” with no PPE on. I have another 15 or so logs to work on tomorrow of red oak. Then off to splitting it all. Then I need to start dropping new logs to replace the stack, but that won’t be until after the new year. I have a lot of storm blown over trees that need to be taken down, and cleaned up to work on as well. Lots of them have tops broken off and hanging from the tree. Those make me a little nervous, and what made me start thinking about safety.

I have a lot of storm blown over trees that need to be taken down, and cleaned up to work on as well. Lots of them have tops broken off and hanging from the tree. Those make me a little nervous, and what made me start thinking about safety.

Those are referred to as "widow makers' ...

Those are referred to as "widow makers' ...

I have been hoping they would have fallen over on their own. Some may have, but most as far as I can see haven’t.

I've had them so long I don't even recall. I think I just bought the longs not even realizing they made x-long and even 2x-longs. Having a good pair of higher boots like the ones Buckly referenced wold certainly help.

In fact, I think I am heading to buy a pair right now.

I am 6 1 34inseam and used the sizing chart mine fit perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk