Cedar Apple Rust

meyerske

5 year old buck +
Some of my apples are showing signs of cedar apple rust. There are some small cedars within about 30 yards of the apple trees. Should I cut these cedar trees down, or if there are cedars within, say, a half mile will it still have the same effect on the apples?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The closest cedars I have to my property are over 400 yards from my apple trees. I have never had a problem in the past 4 years until this year.

I don't think we have gone 12 hours without rain since the first week of April and we have had wind that would rival any hurricane on a near weekly basis. Since the spores need rain and wind, this year has been hopeless. I could've had cedar on the opposite mountain from me and still had rust. Hope that helps.

I don't really think it will hurt much but I always try to plant resistant trees

The spores can travel along way on the wind. IF you have cedars within 1/2 mi there will always be a chance that you will get some CAR. CAR isnt a death sentence for alot of trees and can be controlled with minimal spraying.

I have very large red cedars growing within 30 yards of most of my apple trees in se mn and it doesn't seem to hurt them. There are spots on some leaves, but they keep growing anyway. I wouldnt lose any sleep over some nearby cedars.