Dolgo Questions / Grafting

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
I ordered a few dolgo scions comign from fedco along with some hewes, chestnut, burgandy, and a good bit of enterprise (macoun x antonovka).

How does dolgo size up frop drop times, deer preference, flowering time, and cedar apple rust resistance. I see it's prefer for scab and fireblight resistance. Up north, I'm not sure if cedar apple rust is an issue. Lots of srpuce, some pine, no red or white cedars I have yet seen in the area.

I bought antonovka rootstock and planted it april 2022. The bases are 1/2", in some cases a bit more. They're delivering 8 inch 1/4" scions. IS the mismatch going to be an issue?

I have a few toringo crabapples from 2019 or 2018 I planted. The trunk is 1 to 1.5" big. Too late for a true graft. Anbody ever topwork a toringo crabapple? These are from NYSDEC nursery. They don't sell them anymore. Called them up, they said they were too agressive / invasive

I don’t have any serious issue with grafted dolgo. Some seedlings do have a problem and I will add that CAR seems to be a seasonal problem in my area.

Some suspect there is confusion about true dolgo and there may be scion from several varieties being sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a whole bunch of seedling Dolgo rootstock from Blue Hills last year that were way bigger than my scions. I cleft grafted them all and they all took. One of the grafts I did was of Dolgo onto the Dolgo rootstock. We have all the diseases here in great abundance, and it appeared to be resistant to all of them.

As for the "seedling Dolgo" rootstocks, there was quite a bit of variation in them in terms of disease resistance (and surely other characteristics too).

I do not know if fedco handles the same strain of dolgo as what we see in the upper Midwest which is usually from Bailey’s.

My grafted dolgo starts to ripen about Labor Day and a few crabs hang on until this time of year. Late or early springs can change this. I am sure things will be much different in southern climates.

You can graft smaller scions on to larger rootstock. I just put the scion to one side and seal it well. The 1 to 1.5 inch crabs might be prime for top working.

If you are asking about compatibility issues, I have no idea with this you mention. I suspect SLN puts dolgo on Anty rootstock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plenty of cedar up in maine, so their dolgo alteast has some immunity from Fedco I can imagine. Many of their trees are locally sourced from survived old homesteads.

Far as the top working of Toringo. Do you suggest top working a transplanted tree? Or Wait for a late summer graft.

My fall tree order came from Whitetail crabs yesterday. IHe gave me a couple of trees with double leaders so I can graft. Hopfefully they do well. Used to seeig pretty wet sawdust in my spring order. Dust was moist, Roots did not have that duller dry color to it. Started to rain when I opeed the box, so that helped. Sure didnt waste a minute puttin them in.

He gave me some scion material. I will put it in the fridge, but I kinda have my doubts they'll be good. I have some mature trees I can topwork in a smaller area, so no loss if they dont work.

I got 15 trees with no permanent home, so I got some goodies to play with.

I'm piggybacking in on this thread. I also got dolgo rootstock from BH this past spring with the intention of grafting them this spring. Obviously all are in the ground and did very well despite our dry summer. My question is, how high off the ground do I make the grafts? Also, should I leave the lowest branch as a feeder and graft above that branch? Leaning towards doing this?

plenty of cedar up in maine
White cedar in Maine I imagine. White cedar doesn't cause cedar apple rust. Only red cedar/juniper.

I ordered some Dolgo seedlings for a decent price a few years ago. The first one fruited this year and seeing the size of the fruit, I think I will graft it over to the grafted version of Dolgo or Kerr. All of them are growing well so far, it will be interesting to see what the size of the fruit on the others end up to be. ADC100DF-E2C4-4643-97B0-AFFF4622C356.jpeg

A member here is sending me crabapple seeds, which I will grow from seed. I am also ordering a handful of dolgo, american, tranduscent, as well as wild apple seedlings from willis orchards in georgia.

I am collecting a good amount of scion for my antonovka bareroots. Just for enjoyment's sake, I am keeping a bareroot of each kind and let it mature. At worst, I'll topwork it.

I'm piggybacking in on this thread. I also got dolgo rootstock from BH this past spring with the intention of grafting them this spring. Obviously all are in the ground and did very well despite our dry summer. My question is, how high off the ground do I make the grafts? Also, should I leave the lowest branch as a feeder and graft above that branch? Leaning towards doing this?
You can graft at any height. I've grafted just above the rootline and topworked 6' up in some cases and both can work. My success rate is highest when the scion and living tree branch diameters are similar.

Leaving a feeder branch isn't a bad idea as it may give birds a place to land instead of your fresh graft, but the tree will live either way.

I've had where I left a feeder branch and the feeder seemed to get the bulk of the energy/growth from rootstock and thrive while graft scion grew very slow until I nipped off the feeder. So I stopped leaving any and rub off any that start.

My Dolgo's are nickel size too, but the critters still eat them and they are good pollinators. In my head my ideal crabs are golf ball to tennis ball size but that's just what I like not necessarily what the wildlife like.