Pruning Philosophy.......

I might use another variety and roostock for the comparison. Anybody suggest a early to bare variety that drops in august or mid september, or drops in late november?

The spot i am looking to put the triplets in will not be a hunting spot.

Thinking the kerr trees didnt have a typical start in life. May effect results.

I have a sundance in M7 coming, maybe get 2 more. Winesap is an option too. Just want to keep early october trees within bow range for one spot at home.

Early, Striped June/Yellow Transparent/White Cloud
Late Nov, Arkansas Black/Granny Smith/Galarina/Golden Russet

I’ve pruned most of my older fruit trees to an open center I’m shifting to a main central leader on my younger trees. I usually prune all water sprouts, rubbing branches. My Williams pride was originally pruned to an low branching open center tree well I’ve grown pretty tired of not being able to mow close it so I let a water sprout run crazy for a few years and last year I pruned all the older lower growing open center limbs it looks pretty odd at this point but I can mow under it no problem now. Yes I would agree your goals should govern your pruning.

definite newbie question here..how can I know if my tree is spur bearing?

Very few varieties are tip bearing. I think they are mostly the Limbertwig vatieties. Bottom line is don't worry about it.

A tip bearer either needs a lot of space or a relatively dwarfing rootstock

Very few varieties are tip bearing. I think they are mostly the Limbertwig vatieties. Bottom line is don't worry about it.

A tip bearer either needs a lot of space or a relatively dwarfing rootstock
I don’t think I have any of those limbertwig varieties, just your typical apples/crabs..thanks!

Just some food for thought. I have learned from experience that ripe time and drop time are two different things. I have a couple late-ripening goldrush that have been producing for quite a while now. The problem is, they don’t drop until spring, making them pretty much worthless for hunting or winter sustenance. I planted a Sundance a few years back, but I have no production to go on, but I read after I planted it that both Cummins and Pomiferous report it holds “well after ripe”, so in my mind it is here we go again with the Goldrush issue. I’d settle for one Sundance to see how it works out before adding more. Winecrisp is a good second option, but you might consider an IdaRed which dribble apples from mid-September to early-January. Good luck!

Had one galarina coming, bumped it to 3. Thatll be my ginea pigs. Will also be planting one m111 bareroot and let it go to adult tree.

Was tempted to do 3 redfree, have one ordered.

Sundance i have coming in on M7. Read up m7 runts out on hard pan, which i got. That might go up tovthe fatmland i hunt

You guys want to put marks on this tree with paint?

Its a droptine on antonovka. About textbook for growth. No leader issues or anything odd.
View attachment 60485

View attachment 60486
Same tree but pics are 90 deg off or so.

I have gotten the best growth from trees I have pruned aggressively at a young age. Red lines are removing whole branch and yellow lines are heading cuts about half the branch. Cut the top of central leader as well, which may put up 2 to 3 more and prune back to 1 in mid summer. IMHO

Attachments

• 20231209_155019~2.jpg
    20231209_155019~2.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 40
Thats lopping it pretty good. Might be better than I would normally do. IF you want to do another take on what the average Joe might trim that to, it would be helpful. Maybe even a nervous Nelly. I got around 30 new trees at home, so not afraid to play with these three.

I got to figure out what I want to do to the prep the holes consistently.

I have gotten the best growth from trees I have pruned aggressively at a young age. Red lines are removing whole branch and yellow lines are heading cuts about half the branch. Cut the top of central leader as well, which may put up 2 to 3 more and prune back to 1 in mid summer. IMHO

That is exactly how I would cut it too. trimming back the branches you left help them thicken up and get stronger.
I start training them young and cut off all the low stuff so tree will use energy growing up and out.

That is exactly how I would cut it too. trimming back the branches you left help them thicken up and get stronger.
I start training them young and cut off all the low stuff so tree will use energy growing up and out.
Exactly what I do as well.