Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

I was able to get my 6 rolls of 2x4x4ft welded wire ($96.25+ tax) into my woods yesterday. I cut up 4 of the rolls. Made 25 small cages for dogwood bare roots I'm planting this spring and about 33 bigger cages for white pines and cedars. I only need to make about 20 more cages and I'm ready to plant next spring. Should only take an hour. Also have 40 bags of mulch in the woods on a pallet covered with a tarp. I will be pulling cages off some of the norways I planted in 2018 and reusing them on my pines.

Make sure to use a "ruler" instead of a tape measure to make cages. I have a 10' 2x4 and made a couple marks on it for different lengths that I like to cut. Dramatically speeds things up.

View attachment 47877View attachment 47878View attachment 47879View attachment 47880View attachment 47881
Are you using about 5 foot lengths for the dogwood cages? Have you tried using tree tubes for the dogwoods? I am about a year behind you and debating on if I want to try and use tree tubes for them or if I need to sell an arm and buy some rolls of the wire.

^^^ Yes, I used exactly 5' to make my shrub cages. I took down my buddies barbed wire fence and have all kinds of 6-7' T post. I will plant, put down a weed mat, pound in a post, mulch and then set the cage on and fasten to the the post with 2-3 zip ties. Should be all I need in my part of the world to get them going. The local NRCS sells 25 for $40-50 bareroots 18-24" tall. Planting in bedding areas and along travel corridor. Hope to reuse the same cages in 3-4 years on some new shrubs.

I would say most definitely a shrub type plant should go into a cage v a tube. I have also used the same 5' length of welded wire to make cages for oak trees too. Never had an issue with a 4' tall cage on my land. Just the presence of the cage seem to be all the deterrent I need.

Where are you and what is the climate like there?

I bought in to what @BuckSutherland and @Tree Spud preach with the cages and mats but failed to get the mulch placed on my spruce this past year. Mostly curious on any negative impacts from not getting the fabric covered. My ground is wetter than ideal so I'm not concerned about mulch helping with moisture retention. Some extra insulation would be nice in the winter though and I wasn't sure if the black would heat up too much in the summer.
I reside in South Central PA, which is Zone 6b, right on the border of Zone 7a (if you're closer to the City of Harrisburg it would be 7a). It gets hot in the summer, humid hot - there were plenty of 90* + days with high humidity. This past summer (2022), we hardly received any rain. I was watering trees every weekend for about 2.5 months straight, moving the hose from tree to tree sometimes till 11pm at night.

My green giants received an entire summer worth of baking sun with that black weed barrier uncovered. I noticed MINIMAL scorching (e.g. browning) of the cedar foliage, and it was restricted to only the newest (non-established) plantings. I was certainly worried about them burning, but to my amazement (with a record hot/dry summer), I couldn't count on one hand the sun damage amongst 100 trees.

The moisture retention was incredible under the barrier even without top dressing with mulch. For me to mulch 1200 linear feet of weed barrier would be an expensive and exhausting task (I do not own a sub-compact tractor yet). And I say expensive because I WILL NOT use wood chips anymore around my trees. My father is an avid arborist, even in his retirement years. I can get all the wood chips I want, but I have witnessed them doing more bad than good. They steal nitrogen from the ground when the decompose (which steals it from your trees), they grow mold & mildew, fungus, they get matted down, take forever to break down into something organically beneficial for trees...I could go on and on. I only use organic bark mulch for my trees anymore, so for that reason, I'll be leaving the 5 oz. weed barrier uncovered, unless something drastic changes and I notice quantifiable damage. Plus I swear the deer do not like walking on the uncovered mat - which is another deterrent IMO.

I reside in South Central PA, which is Zone 6b, right on the border of Zone 7a (if you're closer to the City of Harrisburg it would be 7a). It gets hot in the summer, humid hot - there were plenty of 90* + days with high humidity. This past summer (2022), we hardly received any rain. I was watering trees every weekend for about 2.5 months straight, moving the hose from tree to tree sometimes till 11pm at night.

My green giants received an entire summer worth of baking sun with that black weed barrier uncovered. I noticed MINIMAL scorching (e.g. browning) of the cedar foliage, and it was restricted to only the newest (non-established) plantings. I was certainly worried about them burning, but to my amazement (with a record hot/dry summer), I couldn't count on one hand the sun damage amongst 100 trees.

The moisture retention was incredible under the barrier even without top dressing with mulch. For me to mulch 1200 linear feet of weed barrier would be an expensive and exhausting task (I do not own a sub-compact tractor yet). And I say expensive because I WILL NOT use wood chips anymore around my trees. My father is an avid arborist, even in his retirement years. I can get all the wood chips I want, but I have witnessed them doing more bad than good. They steal nitrogen from the ground when the decompose (which steals it from your trees), they grow mold & mildew, fungus, they get matted down, take forever to break down into something organically beneficial for trees...I could go on and on. I only use organic bark mulch for my trees anymore, so for that reason, I'll be leaving the 5 oz. weed barrier uncovered, unless something drastic changes and I notice quantifiable damage. Plus I swear the deer do not like walking on the uncovered mat - which is another deterrent IMO.

Interesting, had not considered any negatives from the mulch. I can see how it makes sense for folks who aren't able to water their trees with any regularity and also to help keep the mats down and help combat stuff from growing out from under the edges. With your continuous linear block of mat vs a 4'x4' square for each tree you've also got the advantage of 3/4 of the sides of the mat not having an edge anywhere near for weeds/grass to grow.

I've got pretty rocky ground, i should run a landscape rake through my plots next year an use those rocks on the edges of my 4' square weed mats at a minimum.

I use limestone screening as mulch on my fruit trees (have yet to lose any with limited watering). I think the screening holds moisture in, but it does bake a little when it gets real hot. The only mulch I put on my conifers was some rocks I dug up from the planting holes to hold the weed fabric down and some random logs/branches to do the same. Out of 20-odd trees planted into an open hayfield that faces due south in a drought year with only watering once or twice, I lost 2 trees....

Interesting, had not considered any negatives from the mulch. I can see how it makes sense for folks who aren't able to water their trees with any regularity and also to help keep the mats down and help combat stuff from growing out from under the edges. With your continuous linear block of mat vs a 4'x4' square for each tree you've also got the advantage of 3/4 of the sides of the mat not having an edge anywhere near for weeds/grass to grow.

I've got pretty rocky ground, i should run a landscape rake through my plots next year an use those rocks on the edges of my 4' square weed mats at a minimum.
Yeah, this is my Home residence so my trees get ALOT of attention. But at the same time I must maintain lawn in these areas. I was spending way too much time mowing around these tress before. Imagine making circles around 100 trees with a SCAG, on a slope...and even with that the damn weeds were overtaking my little green giants - literally outgrowing them and stealing all the water & nutrients. That's when I decide to cover the entire swath with weed barrier. Now I cruise up one side and down the other, my deck can overhang the weed mat and keeps it nice and tidy. I will say that I have staples every 2' the entire length. That was the best layout for keeping the weed mat securely in place while I was installing. No growth underneath from the sides, doesn't even budge in the wind, and my mower deck cannot pull it up at 4" cut height. Works out awesome. I used a sheet metal round form screwed to a wood stake and a map gas torch to cut the holes, then slipped the weed mat overtop of the planted trees. They were still small enough to squeeze them through a 6" diameter cut out. No fraying, super fast, in an organized fashion. And at 6" holes, they'll have many years of growth until I need to cut an X to make a relief for the trunks to grow.

Would you guys buy 150' of remesh at $199? That's the cheapest I see at the moment. Not expecting to find anything lower.

assume you're talking 5'? If so, its about $139.00 per 100' in my neck of the woods.

Would you guys buy 150' of remesh at $199? That's the cheapest I see at the moment. Not expecting to find anything lower.

That would be a steal. I just bought 2 rolls of 5'/150 remesh for $220 each, they were on sale from $325 ea.

can you clue us in as to where you got that? (after you order of course) or was that a marketplace/ebay find? I have 10 trees to cage this spring and I want them done right with remesh

can you clue us in as to where you got that? (after you order of course) or was that a marketplace/ebay find? I have 10 trees to cage this spring and I want them done right with remesh
RP Lumber

Plain 11 gauge 4ft tall by 100' 2x4 inch mesh normally goes for $119 these days.

I picked up end pieces for $150 a few weeks ago. 10-25ft pieces of 6ft tall 2x4 inch mesh.

Think 6ft is too tall? Since it's a good height, what radius would you cut them to?

Attachments

• 20221227_184332.jpg
    20221227_184332.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221227_184338.jpg
    20221227_184338.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221227_184353.jpg
    20221227_184353.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 20
I use the 4ft 2x4 and when tree gets alittle taller I just raise wire a foot off ground,All my fruit trees have stapled screen around trunks

That would be a steal. I just bought 2 rolls of 5'/150 remesh for $220 each, they were on sale from $325 ea.
Can you imagine if we knew what would happen to prices post 2020? I would’ve bought 20 rolls in a heartbeat when they were around $100 per roll for remesh.

Can you imagine if we knew what would happen to prices post 2020? I would’ve bought 20 rolls in a heartbeat when they were around $100 per roll for remesh.
Is there any reason to believe prices will come down? When prices started climbing, I called a manufacturer here in the states and they said it was because of tariffs and trade with China. I haven't looked into to see if these are still the case, but I'm assuming stimi inflation and supply chain issues aren't helping.

Is there any reason to believe prices will come down? When prices started climbing, I called a manufacturer here in the states and they said it was because of tariffs and trade with China. I haven't looked into to see if these are still the case, but I'm assuming stimi inflation and supply chain issues aren't helping.

Steel prices are already down. It will probably take some time to sell off the expensive steel they already purchased before the price drop makes its way to consumers, assuming nothing else throws a wrench into the works. And that may be a dangerous assumption in today's world.

Steel is a globally traded commodity and likely prices will drop some with the coming recession but we do have inflation fighting against that. I’m in need of several 1/4” or 3/8” steel plates for some workbenches I’m building but been holding off buying them figuring steel prices will drop. Idk this is a strange economy for sure tough to really know what’s going to happen next but many businesses are certainly battening down the hatch’s and starting to lay off workers this will most certainly ripple through the economy causing pain then on the flip side there is a labor shortage idk this is the craziest economy I’ve ever witnessed.

idk this is the craziest economy I’ve ever witnessed.

Sure is. There are so many different forces at work, it's difficult to get a grip on what is actually going on. It seems the stock market is thrilled China is changing its Covid policies, but I seriously suspect it will backfire and lead to.another crash. But if it doesn't? Then I guess I miss out. I have no idea what to do at this point. Hopefully I can sit down this weekend and get some kind of grasp on the situation.

and Glyphosate

bill