Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

One thing I learned this year after buying 1400' of welded wire cage - It's easier to just bring the 100' roll to the area where the trees are if you have a bunch of them than it is to move 100 different rolled up 10' pre-cut sections. A lot less handling and trips back and forth.

One thing I learned this year after buying 1400' of welded wire cage - It's easier to just bring the 100' roll to the area where the trees are if you have a bunch of them than it is to move 100 different rolled up 10' pre-cut sections. A lot less handling and trips back and forth.
I built 57 cages out of 2X4 welded wire down by my garage that had to be moved 2 (or on a rare occasion when I wanted to be done quicker and the ratchet straps held, 3) at a time up the hill to where the trees were to be planted.. Woulda definitely been easier to do the work up there, but my field is not heated and lighted for winter time work...probably cost more in gas to get them up there than it was worth....

I took the rolls and post to their spots with my fishing sled when the snow was frozen solid this spring. Had to get up early morning and get it done. I slid right over the top of the snow with easy and then cut my cages right where they were going. I make them right where I intend to use them cause there is no great way to move cages around. Sometimes I get in fairly tight spots trying to unroll the wire.

IMG_8482.JPGIMG_8500.JPG

I built 57 cages out of 2X4 welded wire down by my garage that had to be moved 2 (or on a rare occasion when I wanted to be done quicker and the ratchet straps held, 3) at a time up the hill to where the trees were to be planted.. Woulda definitely been easier to do the work up there, but my field is not heated and lighted for winter time work...probably cost more in gas to get them up there than it was worth....
Good gracious, that would suck. Even loading them unto my 7x14' ATV trailer is a PITA. I don't remember how many rolls i get on there, maybe 10. But comparing hooking up to the trailer, loading 10 onto the trailer, offloading them, is enough compared to just throwing a 100' roll on the rack of the atv and going and cutting them right next to where they'll get used. My aha moment didn't really sink in until i loaded up a roll to cut in place in a spot that I couldn't get a trailer in.

Good gracious, that would suck. Even loading them unto my 7x14' ATV trailer is a PITA. I don't remember how many rolls i get on there, maybe 10. But comparing hooking up to the trailer, loading 10 onto the trailer, offloading them, is enough compared to just throwing a 100' roll on the rack of the atv and going and cutting them right next to where they'll get used.
I used to use a sawzall to cut the 6X6 remesh, but figured out pretty quick that a pair of snips was all that was needed for the 2X4 stuff....I was averaging a cage every 4 minutes and got that down to around 3 when my Dad was helping me out...we made 14 in a couple hours to finish out the stuff needed for the spring..

I used to use a sawzall to cut the 6X6 remesh, but figured out pretty quick that a pair of snips was all that was needed for the 2X4 stuff....I was averaging a cage every 4 minutes and got that down to around 3 when my Dad was helping me out...we made 14 in a couple hours to finish out the stuff needed for the spring..

Man, all set up with the @BuckSutherland method of using a 10' length of 2x4 and rolling em out on the ground, cutting with a side cut dikes, I'd be shocked if it took a minute each to cut a 10' section and maybe another minute to tie the ends together with pliers. I tied rebar for a while on heavy highway projects so it's a nice little flashback.

When I planted my first 20 apple trees years ago I hauled all the fencing out there and built them where I was planting the trees. This week I have been cutting wire and making the cages in my insulated pole barn because it has been in the high 80's and it is 93 right now outside. Much more comfortable building them inside in these conditions.

Inside the barn and kool as a cucumber
IMG_8635.jpg

If I hook up to my little utility trailer that I haul sap with I can get carry quite a few out to the woods, but it isn't all that far from the barn to where I am planting the trees so I don't mind making several trips with only hauling 3 at a time on the Gator either.
IMG_5205.jpg

In decent weather, I have built quite a few cages right outside the barn as well...

IMG_4458.JPG

IMG_1714.jpg

Last edited:
I'm planning on using a cordless grinder with a cut-off wheel (thinwheel). I should be able to slice through a width of 10 ga. 6x6 remesh in seconds (literally). I also purchased higher end (USA made) hog ring pliers to speed up the connection of the cage ends - just a squeeze of one hand and a very strong 14 ga. triangular hog ring is made. No zip-ties to worry about degrading and much faster than using tie-wire. I'll try to remember to snap some photos during the cage project (I'm bad at stopping to take a photo) and I'll post them for reference.

My whole goal is the sturdiest cage I can make, efficiently, and also so they last for many years.

I cut up 5 rolls this spring. Average time to cut them in the snow, then have all rolled up and tied together was 25-30 mins per roll depending on snow depth and available work space. 10 cages per 100 foot roll. If a person isnt measuring with a predetermined "ruler" instead of a tape measure they are wasting time. 2x4x4' wire. 12-14 gauge.

On the 6 x 6 remesh I use a cheap harbor freight bolt cutter. Has 18" or maybe 24" handles. Under 20 bucks and with the mild steel of remesh will keep cutting for a long, long time

I have pretty much gone back to 2 x 4 wire mesh now though

I made 16 more cages this afternoon for oaks that are coming out of their tubes.

I like to use the 14 gauge 2X4X60" fencing as it is easier to cut and handle and it works just fine for keeping the critters away from my young trees.

I don't know if it was on this forum or maybe the Michigan Sportsman forum but somebody recommended these wire cutters for making cages. I ended up ordering a pair (Amazon maybe) and it was a real wise choice. So much easier than using side cutters and my hand doesn't get worn out after doing 6 or 8 of them like it did when I was using side cutters. They work great!
IMG_8667.jpg

It was 93 degrees here in the shade on my porch so it was a no-brainer to set up in the insulated barn to do this. As someone else mentioned here earlier, I mark out my 74-76 inch length and it is easy to repeat the correct length on the next one without measuring. A couple of 2.5 gallon jugs hold down one end and I had another pail with some sand in it to hold down the other end.
IMG_8669.jpg

I know a lot of you guys wrap the tag ends of the welded wire fence around the cage to secure it but I don't like those sharp wires poking me while I am trying to make the fence so I just cut them all off....
IMG_8671.jpg

and use 4 pieces of 20 gauge wire to secure the fence.
IMG_8670.jpg

I am usually doing this by myself so I clamp the wire together with a vice grips and it is easy to tie the wires on the fencing. I had the Gator in the barn so after tying the top half together I removed the vice grips and set the cage on the tail gate of the Gator to tie in the bottom 2 wires...didn't even have to bend over.
IMG_8672.jpg

Voila! 16 more cages in no time.
IMG_8673.jpg

I've got another 100' role of fencing so I will be doing this again in another day or two.

I am with you Teeder. We still have some beech and ash but I know their days are numbered. We named our camp/property "Lone Oak" for a reason also - there was only a single Northern Red Oak on the entire 160 acres when we purchased our property.

View attachment 44559
Wildthing, who made this sign for you? Love it!

Wildthing, who made this sign for you? Love it!

Thanks tizkaasen. I love it too.

A buddy of mine used to be an industrial arts teacher and he mocked this up on the computer (CAD) and cut it out on a plasma cutter. I took it in to an auto body shop and had them paint it with some good quality paint. Should last forever.

We make our own Maple Syrup here also...note the bucket hanging from the Maple tree?
IMG_0036 (2).jpeg

Here it is with a little snow on it...
IMG_1786 (2).jpeg

One of our buddies had some hoodies made up with the logo on it...
IMG_2942.jpg

We used to have a small balcony out from the loft on the cabin. It started becoming pretty high maintenance and my wife wanted it gone...
DSC04640.jpeg

so I went to a local metal fabrication place and had them make up a faux "Juliet Balcony" for a replacement when I took down the wooden balcony. It was also made with a plasma cutter and I had them paint it with a powder coat paint so....no more high maintenance.
IMG_6131.jpeg

Other metal artwork - "Michigan Roots"
IMG_8782.jpg

U.P. Snowmobile...
IMG_8783.jpg

We also have some other things. It is pretty cool what they can do with metal these days.

Last edited:
Thanks tizkaasen. I love it too.

A buddy of mine used to be an industrial arts teacher and he mocked this up on the computer (CAD) and cut it out on a plasma cutter. I took it in to an auto body shop and had them paint it with some good quality paint. Should last forever.

We make our own Maple Syrup here also...note the bucket hanging from the Maple tree?
View attachment 44821

Here it is with a little snow on it...
View attachment 44822

One of our buddies had some hoodies made up with the logo on it...
View attachment 44823

We used to have a small balcony out from the loft on the cabin. It started becoming pretty high maintenance and my wife wanted it gone...
View attachment 44824

so I went to a local metal fabrication place and had them make up a faux "Juliet Balcony" for a replacement when I took down the wooden balcony. It was also made with a plasma cutter and I had them paint it with a powder coat paint so....no more high maintenance.
View attachment 44825

Other metal artwork - "Michigan Roots"
View attachment 44826

Snowmobile...
View attachment 44827

We also have some other things. It is pretty cool what they can do with metal these days.

Very cool. The Michigan snowmobile is my favorite.

Found another roll of 2X4 inch welded wire in the lean-to of the barn...not sure how long it has been back there but I see it was manufactured in 2013...

IMG_8774.jpg

So anyway, I built another 16 cages for my oak trees...

IMG_8785.jpg

BTW....the Cherries are getting close...need to pick them before the birds get to them.

IMG_8788.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

Lucky dog on the 2 x 4 wire find. Just picked up a 50 ft roll from menards last nite. Cost me 72 bucks....minus their ever running 11% off sale

What kinda cherries are those. Always thought I should try to plant a few by the house

Rocksnstumps, as long as you're not buying from my tractor supply they have 100 foot rolls of 4' for $85. ;) LOL. Just kidding you about not buying them all... I can bring rolls up from SE wisconsin if you do buy them all.

I'm just going to throw this out there a as possible savings deal and idea on how to protect your tree's

around me there are always FREE large 275-300 gallon tote cages, where they removed the plastic tote already, and some times just the totes ,
there about 4ft x 4ft x4 ft cubes, of typically galvanized metal tube
I would imagine if one was willing to look for them, they could maybe find them free or for a small fee
one could always remove the bottom section, to get a square cage, or just trim enough to get tree thru it
and when time comes to remove, either un bolt it to take it apart, or a cordless sawzall would make quick work of it
also, I would think if you could get CLEAN used totes( I've got many over the yrs, and many others that had food items in them I washed out, even a few that held fertilizer)
but the same deal with them, you can cut a top and bottom out, and place over a small tree, or remove top and bottom and cut a side to open up and then add 4 post and you have a 4x4 square round your tree's !
might even be stronger than fencing, cage holes will be bigger, but I don;t think a deer head would fit thru to reach a tree
if worried about smaller critters, smaller fence at the bottom section would maybe work on that!
if your handy with making things you could make some J style anchors to fasten the cages to the ground, so NO posts even needed, pending how strong you want them in place!

I know it comes down to finding the totes in your area, and there a little more work to haul, but as I said, just an idea to maybe consider

places like Craigslist and face book market place would be where I'd start looking for them!

the last 10 I got cages with totes were for 25 bucks each, not free, but they were every clean and held food in them, and were washed after being emptied!
so they were worth the costs to me
but I have gotten many many for free for me and friends! over the yrs!

Lucky dog on the 2 x 4 wire find. Just picked up a 50 ft roll from menards last nite. Cost me 72 bucks....minus their ever running 11% off sale

What kinda cherries are those. Always thought I should try to plant a few by the house

Evans Bali cherry trees rocksnstumps. I got them from a supplier in Minnesota as replacements for 4 other Evans Bali trees we had purchased from the same supplier years before. It was unbelievable how fast those original Bali's grew and produced fruit. Unfortunately, we lost all of them during those brutal winters we had in 2012-2014. We had actual temps down to 35-36 below zero during those winters and I think that is what did them in. Upper Michigan - Zone 4a

The stem diameter on those trees grew 2 - 3 times faster than my apple trees in the same orchard.
DSC01926.jpeg

DSC01932.jpeg

DSC01936.jpeg

Unfortunately, we were seldom home during the summer months as we ran a summer charter fishing business so the birds got all of the fruit for the most part.

I ended up planting apple trees in the orchard where the cherry trees had been but we missed the cherries so much I decided to buy 3 more and planted them outside of the orchard. I knew the soil wasn't as good there but I planted them anyway. They are not growing near as fast as the originals but they do produce some fruit. The cherries are semi-tart and make wonderful pies, although I do snack on just the cherries this time of year as well.

Last edited:
Rocksnstumps, as long as you're not buying from my tractor supply they have 100 foot rolls of 4' for $85. ;) LOL. Just kidding you about not buying them all... I can bring rolls up from SE wisconsin if you do buy them all.
4 ft would work fine using for just rubbing protection but I like 5 ft high for new tree plantings and you can get away with a smaller dia cage if a bit taller.

I did look at local TSC pricing for 5 ft fence but not any better than the after rebate price of about $65 with Menards.

Local TSC usually has T posts cheaper but no so much on fencing and some time wire gauge is also not apples to apples.