Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

Evans Bali cherry trees rocksnstumps. I got them from a supplier in Minnesota as replacements for 4 other Evans Bali trees we had purchased from the same supplier years before. It was unbelievable how fast those original Bali's grew and produced fruit. Unfortunately, we lost all of them during those brutal winters we had in 2012-2014. We had actual temps down to 35-36 below zero during those winters and I think that is what did them in. Upper Michigan - Zone 4a

The stem diameter on those trees grew 2 - 3 times faster than my apple trees in the same orchard.
View attachment 44845

View attachment 44846

View attachment 44847

Unfortunately, we were seldom home during the summer months as we ran a summer charter fishing business so the birds got all of the fruit for the most part.

I ended up planting apple trees in the orchard where the cherry trees had been but we missed the cherries so much I decided to buy 3 more and planted them outside of the orchard. I knew the soil wasn't as good there but I planted them anyway. They are not growing near as fast as the originals but they do produce some fruit. The cherries are semi-tart and make wonderful pies, although I do snack on just the cherries this time of year as well.
Dang those look tasty. Thanks for info on variety. Do you have to spray cherries like apples if you wanna keep the bugs outta em

I couldn't keep the birds out of my cherries. They would eat them before they were ripe enough to pick. Ended up cutting them out because of black knot.

Dang those look tasty. Thanks for info on variety. Do you have to spray cherries like apples if you wanna keep the bugs outta em

I really haven't noted any insect/pest issues on my cherry trees here but I usually just spray them anyway when I spray my apple trees ...which I know I probably should do a little more, but usually about 3-4 times per year. 1) Dormant Oil, 2) Captan at Green Tip stage and 3) a Multi Purpose spray like Bonide after petal fall and maybe once or twice afterwards.

Found this spray schedule for cherries:

suggested spray schedule for home garden cherries - Wsuhttps://s3.wp.wsu.edu › uploads › sites › 2014/05

This is a pretty good spray schedule for apples. While commercial growers will spray this much, I try to do at least 3 or 4 of these sprayings on my "People Orchard" for good looking fruit.

IMG_3516.jpg

I couldn't keep the birds out of my cherries. They would eat them before they were ripe enough to pick. Ended up cutting them out because of black knot.
I am really surprised that birds have not been an issue here lately, although they have been in years past.

I don't know about the fruit as mine aren't producing yet, but Jap beetles absolutely love the foliage on cherry trees. They'll skeletonize those before touching apple trees.

Finally got around to taking some photos…

Attachments

• 9814C8A6-68B6-4BDA-B11E-6E469C0B2D47.jpeg
    9814C8A6-68B6-4BDA-B11E-6E469C0B2D47.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 80
  • AA15E74A-6F71-4C35-980D-0E98D094F404.jpeg
    AA15E74A-6F71-4C35-980D-0E98D094F404.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 33575E49-DC94-4BCE-8889-430679DEBA74.jpeg
    33575E49-DC94-4BCE-8889-430679DEBA74.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 58
  • 3F275738-B450-4381-AE9F-3518E110D8B4.jpeg
    3F275738-B450-4381-AE9F-3518E110D8B4.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 64
Wanted to follow up on results; I ended up using 14 rolls of 10 gauge remesh wire (5’ x 150’ rolls). Cut @ 13’ long, gave me 4’ diameter cages (with a 6” overlap for strength). One 5/8” rebar per cage, 5’ long, driven 18” into the ground. Used rebar tie wire for a fast strong connection. 10” Landscape staples on the opposite end of stake to hold cage firmly in place.

100 green giants in this row. 8’ x 8’ spacing.

5 oz weed mat, 1200 linear feet worth (3 rolls wide with 2000 landscape staples every 2’).

Took me several weekends to complete, but the trees are good for years to come now - until they start growing out of the cages. Can still easily water and prune if needed with 6x6 cage openings. Caging is to prevent buck rub damage, not browsing.

This is the start of a major highway block planting project at the back of our property. I think I’ll be planting Norway Spruce next and reusing the cages when they’re ready to come off the GG.

Attachments

• 482C2FEF-49D1-4841-A41B-D588F0476B7F.jpeg
    482C2FEF-49D1-4841-A41B-D588F0476B7F.jpeg
    691.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 8CCD71DD-822D-4A49-8AAA-4085D3B62700.jpeg
    8CCD71DD-822D-4A49-8AAA-4085D3B62700.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 25302967-B1D3-4E3F-9BC5-EBFD3F11D135.jpeg
    25302967-B1D3-4E3F-9BC5-EBFD3F11D135.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 53
Also worth noting that I saw MAJOR growth escalation once I put weed barrier down. These GG’s were only 12” when I planted them. Didn’t do much the following year. Put weed mat down and they shot up to 32” a 36” on year 3.

thegroveestate - Very impressive!

Thanks for documenting the process. Did you notice any browse on the green Giants?

Also worth noting that I saw MAJOR growth escalation once I put weed barrier down. These GG’s were only 12” when I planted them. Didn’t do much the following year. Put weed mat down and they shot up to 32” a 36” on year 3.

I hope all the non believers read this twice. To me your wasting valuable time if you're not putting down a weed mat. Growth is phenomenal when you kill competition.

Thanks for documenting the process. Did you notice any browse on the green Giants?
Very slight nips here and there, nothing damaging. And that was when they were first planted. Almost like the deer were tasting them until they realized they didn’t like them being they are a western red cedar hybrid.

Interesting update...noticed one of my cages looked crooked the other day from a distance. I'm thinking a full blown gallop & collision is what caused this. No tearing of the weed barrier was found, just a couple mud swipes that look like hoof slips. I guess the cage did it's job cause the tree is unscathed - LOL

Attachments

• Cage 2.jpg
    Cage 2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 44
I have went through a roll of 4ft tall 2x4 mesh, think 11 gauge. I cut them into 10ft lengths. Not sure If I made them big enough.

I am planting more apple trees next week. I can go bigger than 10ft and still have leftover. Debating on 12 or even 15ft circles. Whats the consensus on using 4ft tall fence far as diameter goes? If rootstock matters for branching height mostly B118's coming.

Wanted to follow up on results; I ended up using 14 rolls of 10 gauge remesh wire (5’ x 150’ rolls). Cut @ 13’ long, gave me 4’ diameter cages (with a 6” overlap for strength). One 5/8” rebar per cage, 5’ long, driven 18” into the ground. Used rebar tie wire for a fast strong connection. 10” Landscape staples on the opposite end of stake to hold cage firmly in place.

100 green giants in this row. 8’ x 8’ spacing.

5 oz weed mat, 1200 linear feet worth (3 rolls wide with 2000 landscape staples every 2’).

Took me several weekends to complete, but the trees are good for years to come now - until they start growing out of the cages. Can still easily water and prune if needed with 6x6 cage openings. Caging is to prevent buck rub damage, not browsing.

This is the start of a major highway block planting project at the back of our property. I think I’ll be planting Norway Spruce next and reusing the cages when they’re ready to come off the GG.

Where are you and what is the climate like there?

I bought in to what @BuckSutherland and @Tree Spud preach with the cages and mats but failed to get the mulch placed on my spruce this past year. Mostly curious on any negative impacts from not getting the fabric covered. My ground is wetter than ideal so I'm not concerned about mulch helping with moisture retention. Some extra insulation would be nice in the winter though and I wasn't sure if the black would heat up too much in the summer.

I thnk your only problem would be the fabric blowing up and not sitting over the ground, and weeds growing up under it. As for heating, I could see it happening, but I have left weed mats uncovered for the month of July and didnt have any issues.

Where are you and what is the climate like there?

I bought in to what @BuckSutherland and @Tree Spud preach with the cages and mats but failed to get the mulch placed on my spruce this past year. Mostly curious on any negative impacts from not getting the fabric covered. My ground is wetter than ideal so I'm not concerned about mulch helping with moisture retention. Some extra insulation would be nice in the winter though and I wasn't sure if the black would heat up too much in the summer.

I had trees get NUKED in 2021, cause the weed mat wasn't covered and the drought baked them badly. Grasses and weeds have a much easier time breaking through as well without some weight on the mat. The trees will just do better with the mat covered. Much better.

I was able to get my 6 rolls of 2x4x4ft welded wire ($96.25+ tax) into my woods yesterday. I cut up 4 of the rolls. Made 25 small cages for dogwood bare roots I'm planting this spring and about 33 bigger cages for white pines and cedars. I only need to make about 20 more cages and I'm ready to plant next spring. Should only take an hour. Also have 40 bags of mulch in the woods on a pallet covered with a tarp. I will be pulling cages off some of the norways I planted in 2018 and reusing them on my pines.

Make sure to use a "ruler" instead of a tape measure to make cages. I have a 10' 2x4 and made a couple marks on it for different lengths that I like to cut. Dramatically speeds things up.

IMG_2739.JPGIMG_2740.JPGNNGW4895.JPGOBOK1204.JPGRSBG5624.JPG