Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

^^^ When I don't have tall enough fence I stack and wire 2 cages together to get height. In my younger days I sometimes bought shorter fence to save money. In my older days I sometimes scrounge the scrap piles and make whatever I find work.
Speaking of making things work, I've been thinking about using old rolls of hog fencing I have laying around as a pseudo cage

Speaking of making things work, I've been thinking about using old rolls of hog fencing I have laying around as a pseudo cage
I believe that will work. I've used all sorts of old wire fence that I found rolled up in scrap piles. I'm pretty set on not spending money right now due to bidenflation. Is it weird (spiteful to be honest) that I don't want to be a reason that he can say we have a strong economy?

For any of the Wisconsin people, I just drove from tomah down through the dells on highway 94 and they are tearing up all of the fencing that runs along the interstate. They are just rolling up most of it for trash or recycling. I would definitely think that some of the roles could be used as tree cages.

I’m about to start yanking old t posts from destroyed fences of a different era at home and at the land for tree cages. Anyone got recommendations on a puller or do most of them work fine?

Also, tried to block off some ROD seedlings with alder tops last weekend. Dumb idea. I’m just going to use t-posts and deer fence mesh going forward.
7F84F34C-CCC9-47B6-A253-3BEAB7632DA5.jpeg

I use a tractor or track loader to pull posts both very effective but a long pipe with short length of chain on the end to grab the post and a piece of firewood as a fulcrum point would likely work pretty well for a few posts or a tire.

I’m about to start yanking old t posts from destroyed fences of a different era at home and at the land for tree cages. Anyone got recommendations on a puller or do most of them work fine?

Also, tried to block off some ROD seedlings with alder tops last weekend. Dumb idea. I’m just going to use t-posts and deer fence mesh going forward.
View attachment 52374
This is the one that we use. I don't really have any complaints to say about it. It's easy to set up in maneuver if you need to get behind a tree or something to pull old t-posts.

I use a tractor or track loader to pull posts both very effective but a long pipe with short length of chain on the end to grab the post and a piece of firewood as a fulcrum point would likely work pretty well for a few posts or a tire.

I also use the front end loader on my tractor for pulling tough posts, small tree stumps, trapping earth anchors, etc. Let the hydraulics do the work for you. Works well.

How do you you hook onto them with the loader? Unfortunately most of the ones I want to remove are in the woods where the tractor isn't going so I was looking for something simple like @Hoytvectrix posted.

Loader we use chain two three wraps in the right direction is all it takes we also have a cast t-post puller to be used with chain and actually I like a pear shaped chain eye a lot.

Really just the plain chain as in video works well just get your wrap right but if we are pulling 1/4 -1/2 mile my kids prefer the cast chain puller or a properly sized pear shaped clevis link little quicker and no thought involved if using the cast puller I add a hook or something onto the chain end so the puller doesn’t fall off and get lost in the brush. I’ve never used one of the shop built hand pullers myself so I can’t comment on them.

How do you you hook onto them with the loader? Unfortunately most of the ones I want to remove are in the woods where the tractor isn't going so I was looking for something simple like @Hoytvectrix posted.

Weld a chain hook on your bucket. I have mine in the center which makes it nice if I want to balance a log or something else I can prevent it from swinging. Sometimes I wish I had a hook on either end of the bucket but I have got by pretty well for many years with just one in the center.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

You can lift or pull a lot of weight with your hydraulics...
DSCF0300 (1).jpeg

DSC02781 (1).jpeg

I welded hooks on bucket where the tabs are to mount the quick attack brackets. Better reinforcement there. For heavy lifting I use a yoke to center load but use both hooks. Heavy lifting on stuff concentrated on one side can tweak your loader frame.

For those who may not have access to a tractor, pulling steel T-post(s) like those in the photo by Tmax is not impossible. You can make the task immeasurably easier by grabbing the post at the top ... rotating it in a 360 degree arc (compacts/opens the soil 2-3 inches at ground level). Now, pour water in this hole and pull/push the post up-down - less than an inch - a couple of times. Wal...la add more water if needed ... BUT the water lubricant will soon cause this post to come out of the ground rather easily. Good luck

For those who may not have access to a tractor, pulling steel T-post(s) like those in the photo by Tmax is not impossible. You can make the task immeasurably easier by grabbing the post at the top ... rotating it in a 360 degree arc (compacts/opens the soil 2-3 inches at ground level). Now, pour water in this hole and pull/push the post up-down - less than an inch - a couple of times. Wal...la add more water if needed ... BUT the water lubricant will soon cause this post to come out of the ground rather easily. Good luck
Yeah, even with that tool I find it just as easy and much faster to pull them by hand in most circumstances. We usually reserve the puller for those few stubborn ones that refuse to budge. :emoji_sunglasses:

I weld on a 1/4” steel plate to reinforce the bucket before I weld on my chain hook. I prefer a single center mounted hook myself much less likely to twist your loader frame.

I just use a t Post puller that I bought at harbor freight, and it works great. Not sure if they still sell them, but any brand will do. I use mine every fall to pull T posts in the garden, plus wherever I can't get the tractor. Easy to pull without bending them all up.

Wild Thing ...... impressive fence you have; yes indeed, an impressive fence! 👍

Wild Thing ...... impressive fence you have; yes indeed, an impressive fence! 👍

Thanks @OakSeeds - 50 4X4 posts (and a few 6X6's) and 400' of welded wire fencing but it keeps the bears and deer from trashing the trees in my "People Orchard".

Here are a few different views of it...

DSC02849 (1).jpeg

DSC02602.jpeg

IMG_6548.jpg

IMG_3090 (2).jpegIMG_3005 (1).jpeg

and....a few more when Elaine's garden went in on one side of the orchard.
IMG_1807.jpg

Beautiful orchard! I hope to have something like that some day.