Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

Is there any reason to believe prices will come down? When prices started climbing, I called a manufacturer here in the states and they said it was because of tariffs and trade with China. I haven't looked into to see if these are still the case, but I'm assuming stimi inflation and supply chain issues aren't helping.
The supplier I purchased my remesh from said the exact thing - the price driver was more related to the Trump era tariffs on foreign steel, which was intended to persuade (force) forging & buying USA steel (which I am in support of, being a Pipefitter by trade for over 20 years). As Hoytvectrix mentioned, the prices will most likely come down slightly once the existing higher priced steel sells off, BUT inflation and supply chain issues will keep it higher than norm IMO. That's why I just got over the price tag and bit the bullet. At least I've had and still have peace of mind through rut & winter that all my hard work, attention, and money is being protected!

Anyone tried the 4"x4" welded wire material for caging trees? I've just used the 2"x4" stuff but this sure seems a lot cheaper. If it required an extra post compared to @2x4 mesh it'd still be quite a bit cheaper it seems.

I would think that 4x4 mesh would keep a deer out and the price is right.

Lets talk fence height and protection checklist for a moment. Just want to make I have this all correct as I go on my spring spending spree on fencing.

5 -6 foot high fence for FRUIT Trees w/solid T posts. I used 4 because of the damn bears and will also introduce solar E fence next spring.
* Weed Mat
* Stone over the top of weed mat for small critters burrowing
* Screen wrapped around the trunk for girdling
4 foot HIGH fence for Spruce you want to protect 38" WIDTH ENOUGH TO PROTECT? I know wider would be ideal, but I would think the tree would be 4-5 feet before it would grow out?
* Weed Mat
* Mulch

Tree tube for oaks
*Weed Mat
* Mulch
Tree tubes for willows running through a swamp? or Fence?
*Weed Mat
* Maybe mulch
4 foot high for shrubs. (This is the one I'M REALLY torn over). Have 100's to plant need to be smart about it.
* Weed Mat
* Mulch

Is there any reason to believe prices will come down? When prices started climbing, I called a manufacturer here in the states and they said it was because of tariffs and trade with China. I haven't looked into to see if these are still the case, but I'm assuming stimi inflation and supply chain issues aren't helping.

The Russian Ukraine war is having a huge impact on steel prices. Russian supplies a significant amount of the world nickel supply and there is ~14% nickel in stainless steel. Nickel prices have skyrocketed. Supply chains are still a problem as when you don't have enough labor to meet demand, supply becomes scarce driving up costs. Many industrial process' will not accept steel from china due to quality issues.

Last edited:

Lets talk fence height and protection checklist for a moment. Just want to make I have this all correct as I go on my spring spending spree on fencing.

5 -6 foot high fence for FRUIT Trees w/solid T posts. I used 4 because of the damn bears and will also introduce solar E fence next spring.
* Weed Mat
4 foot HIGH fence for Spruce you want to protect 38" WIDTH ENOUGH TO PROTECT? I know wider would be ideal, but I would think the tree would be 4-5 feet before it would grow out?
* Weed Mat
* Mulch

Tree tube for oaks
*Weed Mat
* Mulch
*Weed Mat
* Maybe mulch
4 foot high for shrubs. (This is the one I'M REALLY torn over). Have 100's to plant need to be smart about it.
* Weed Mat
* Mulch
and dont bother with using the pins on the weed mats (they don't work!)...rocks from digging the holes for the trees and assorted branches lying around are free!

.rocks from digging the holes for the trees and assorted branches lying around are free!

I've used LOTS of rocks to hold down weed fabric - at the same great price you paid!! I've used rocks to hold the fabric down until we pile crushed limestone to cover the whole thing.

Last edited:

* Weed Mat

I used 4' on apple trees last year because it's what I had. You definitely want 5'. I fear with the snow this year my fruit trees have probably been getting demolished with that short fence.

* Weed Mat
* Mulch
38" width is roughly a 10' length of fence which i've seen others use successfully on here and what I did last year. My 1-2' tall potted spruce plantings look well protected with this. Lots of discussion/pics in this thread from last year https://habitat-talk.com/threads/norway-spruce-screen-decisions.13858/

*Weed Mat
* Maybe mulch
* Weed Mat
* Mulch

Between spruce, oaks, and apple trees, i'm tapped out on materials and time and it seems like you've bit off a lot of work too. My plan for protecting ROD plantings and some spruce plantings this year is to use tops of cut trees to keep deer away from them. Might not work 100% but it's a lot cheaper. Going to look messy but i'm ok with that. I'll probably get some weed mats down in there but will likely skip the mulch. My ground stays pretty wet so i'm less concerned with mulch to hold moisture. Might need more staples to hold the mat down without mulch holding it down.

If you can get it - crushed limestone screenings are sharp, pointed chips. They make burrowing painful for mice & voles - plus they collapse if they somehow tunnel underneath. We haven't had problems using it.

I've used LOTS of rocks to hold down weed fabric - at the same great price you paid!! I've used rocks to hold the fabric down until we pile crushed limestone to cover the whole thing.
I do the same with the crushed limestone, but the rocks are good to hold down the corners

If you can get it - crushed limestone screenings are sharp, pointed chips. They make burrowing painful for mice & voles - plus they collapse if they somehow tunnel underneath. We haven't had problems using it.
I used crushed red granite - I had a truck drop it off last year for my driveway so its what I had. good luck burrowing into that stuff..

but the rocks are good to hold down the corners
I do the same exact thing - corners - or maybe a few on the borders if it's windy before limestone cover. Great minds run in the same ditch!!!! 😁

Those long tent stakes work on weed mat. You can get them at Runnings, Fleet? I want to say 10 or 12 per pack?

6" garden staples work great for holding down woven polypropylene tree mats

I’ve used thousands of these without issue on weed mats

DeWitt Anchor pins are good. Sold in a box of 500 from Geplers. I went through 5 boxes last summer. Only thing holding my weed barrier down and it is TIGHT. I placed every 2’. Trick for if they hit rocks and start to bow; grab the top edge with Channellocks and keep tapping them in, they’ll make it past unless it’s a big rock.

Terry from whitetail crabs recommends 15 foot of 4ft fencing. I made 10ft ones from 4ft 2x4 mesh. They look a bit small, but no damage so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper hardware cloth? I would preferably like to buy some that is taller than 48" (see below). I will be transitioning several trees out of the cages this year and will likely be using hardware cloth to protect their bases from rodents and buck rubs.

4qxtC9KoUEKP_wmyFGOAwx3x5JOkRh9-mJ0wl3mAm2zJSjNgcgrG3Tte49pu0v1Ew2cBWEhTKzhFho7-KetlNSZUUts_QddwDI86YIAJnCKtgrIHAyvNUUbNutMiVJdL4SXAq8ObOGToHTiYOLgKqzTi7SXI9E007vjede6sEs2njjy57xE5De8FNZJSxcQLTWVtcgFI53vFtSKqZJgFYAUYKK33ZKG12cJbyt0ISG61IjszAXAAHaUNWEg49gAztIzynOkwTvPPfeclsLEcsF8_8I1p0KajmDtz1yLmtOLyibKbwFtNUjm1GxsuySA4XdJexye3YPxhG8eFNoODGW-kEyIDNHWJgAdP8Q8MurxOxMGw5N66OhHiaO4qyjN-3yKLOrfmk-2kcWpPPcx_KMzRCd__U4PSNDjEphLtmDn3pkj9ETZfdb95dy96WtnIvcdTrSQgGCAv-YEYWYWyEtDyqJ8O2fJDoylhwhlSDNCSPgIKN4FN2x2JfiSDX7SOceQH1YTxp8XFeBkLIQEpo_x8S8sq3R0FasfvnAfUpheIdtav6ec_joezR8yCgw9TP3Z0XobMwzCOxs-DC45rDTqYK2TQHUGaujsqROt0Ll7gWSAWyms3A5HLnQm31sgGheei6KGzKecZdcqHFmhDpyo5wZ67X2NAuKfgC-a0uHAarZgOgoBCCBXam4cnl_ao4X8k0m6YX7L058aS0qDA_HnhaD-BJPhBByKW8mIvFZ6nUfcZbIOyIxIfcBEFuSPAFRwF1n5auqZn6rztGzoRb-7CobbfwTP6C6j5rEznYx6dUKhtSUeJFaUu20pZSx-3fy6nGBogG6GDvl6iNmr0UQl560KaEg1M46HdRaVsfWs7k6lZVy2jLtY9zi3Q75WLu1391DeIziB7VP_qmMhKFyDlME0GhqsrLSHMWkurCLOfDg=w546-h969-no

Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper hardware cloth? I would preferably like to buy some that is taller than 48" (see below). I will be transitioning several trees out of the cages this year and will likely be using hardware cloth to protect their bases from rodents and buck rubs.

4qxtC9KoUEKP_wmyFGOAwx3x5JOkRh9-mJ0wl3mAm2zJSjNgcgrG3Tte49pu0v1Ew2cBWEhTKzhFho7-KetlNSZUUts_QddwDI86YIAJnCKtgrIHAyvNUUbNutMiVJdL4SXAq8ObOGToHTiYOLgKqzTi7SXI9E007vjede6sEs2njjy57xE5De8FNZJSxcQLTWVtcgFI53vFtSKqZJgFYAUYKK33ZKG12cJbyt0ISG61IjszAXAAHaUNWEg49gAztIzynOkwTvPPfeclsLEcsF8_8I1p0KajmDtz1yLmtOLyibKbwFtNUjm1GxsuySA4XdJexye3YPxhG8eFNoODGW-kEyIDNHWJgAdP8Q8MurxOxMGw5N66OhHiaO4qyjN-3yKLOrfmk-2kcWpPPcx_KMzRCd__U4PSNDjEphLtmDn3pkj9ETZfdb95dy96WtnIvcdTrSQgGCAv-YEYWYWyEtDyqJ8O2fJDoylhwhlSDNCSPgIKN4FN2x2JfiSDX7SOceQH1YTxp8XFeBkLIQEpo_x8S8sq3R0FasfvnAfUpheIdtav6ec_joezR8yCgw9TP3Z0XobMwzCOxs-DC45rDTqYK2TQHUGaujsqROt0Ll7gWSAWyms3A5HLnQm31sgGheei6KGzKecZdcqHFmhDpyo5wZ67X2NAuKfgC-a0uHAarZgOgoBCCBXam4cnl_ao4X8k0m6YX7L058aS0qDA_HnhaD-BJPhBByKW8mIvFZ6nUfcZbIOyIxIfcBEFuSPAFRwF1n5auqZn6rztGzoRb-7CobbfwTP6C6j5rEznYx6dUKhtSUeJFaUu20pZSx-3fy6nGBogG6GDvl6iNmr0UQl560KaEg1M46HdRaVsfWs7k6lZVy2jLtY9zi3Q75WLu1391DeIziB7VP_qmMhKFyDlME0GhqsrLSHMWkurCLOfDg=w546-h969-no
could you use window screen, maybe 2X3' sections stapled? or do you want something with a little more oomph to protect a bit better?

I'd put the mesh you got sideways and 2x4 screen for the buck rubs. What kind of tree is it? Might be clear of vole nibbling at that size, atleast above ground.

Buy a roll of 4ft wide screen. That way you can protect the trunk to about 10 inches or so. The base is of course bigger, so you need 4tft circumference.

I'd put the mesh you got sideways and 2x4 screen for the buck rubs. What kind of tree is it? Might be clear of vole nibbling at that size, atleast above ground.

Buy a roll of 4ft wide screen. That way you can protect the trunk to about 10 inches or so. The base is of course bigger, so you need 4tft circumference.
It's a pear tree and a buck rub above the hardware cloth. I think this is a 3 or 4 ft tall roll.

^^^ When I don't have tall enough fence I stack and wire 2 cages together to get height. In my younger days I sometimes bought shorter fence to save money. In my older days I sometimes scrounge the scrap piles and make whatever I find work.