Bullet drop diagram for whitetail

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anyone seen a bullet drop diagram for whitetail deer. Something that shows what 10,15,20, or 25 inches high looks like on a average deer broadside.

Anyone seen a bullet drop diagram for whitetail deer. Something that shows what 10,15,20, or 25 inches high looks like on a average deer broadside.
Not sure what you're asking. But you looking for a shot calculator? I use this to sight in my guns for a specific ammo.

You mean a picture of a deer showing where your aim point is at those hold-overs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Trying to visually estimate those number of inches above deer might not result in the most ethical shot. With a flat shooting 6.5 PRC, you don't get to 10" of drop until about 300 yards (with 100 yard zero). Then 15" near 360, 20" at almost 400, and 25" around 420 yards. So once over 250 yards, not a lot of yardage between being in or out of the kill zone. If you are already using a range finder to determine the right distance, go ahead and get a turret scope to dial the MOA or MIL for an ethical long-range shot. Then use a ballistic calculator like the one above, or Hornady's 4DOF calculator, to build a drop chart.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 074450.png

Just out of curiosity, faster dropping 30-30 drops 10-25" between 260-325 yards, and a 450 bushmaster between 210-270 yards. Those are tough judgments for holdover.

Just out of curiosity, faster dropping 30-30 drops 10-25" between 260-325 yards, and a 450 bushmaster between 210-270 yards. Those are tough judgments for holdover.

Holdover! I had to edit my post just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree body size can bea poor judgement of holdover. Just a guide for a 2nd vote of confidence. Moved my 50 cal muzzleloader from 80 grains with 0 high at 100 to 100 grains 2 high at 100. 150 is 2 low, 200 ten low. 250 dives at 25 low.

Now that I own 2 modern inlines, the 50 will be worked up to a more open field gun. Right now it has a bushnell elite 3200 with glow in the dark firefly recticle. Know where the recticel notches are.

Had a like 3 layers of 2x6 cut into a deer at camp with a 6 inch gong for vitals. Need to make a new one. old one been toast for almost 2 years. That was nice practice when it was up. Cheaped out back them, made her from old porch parts whem i built a new one at my old home.

Once deer hunting calms down, I'll put a thread about longer range muzzleloaders. Thinking I could use one. Considering I hunt alot with them, and my hunting places are less pressured during those seasons.

Sold my bullet velocity tool. However, I shoot a gun at 200,150, and 100 to get a ballpark velocity from hornady's calulator. See what velocity matches up well. IF I cant practice it, I dont shoot that far on game. 230 yard is at camp. Can squeeze a 300 yard shot spot to practice, but it's way back from camp. Clearing a shooting lane to get a 250 yard this summer. Got other range work to do up there, rebuild a 50 yard target hanger, put a 200 yard paper up. Probably do a 6 inch gong / paper hanger combo. Between the trees might be too much for the wooden deer.

Last edited: