Apple/Crab/Pear sun orientation?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Just kinda thinking through my planting strategy for next week (picking up 6 trees from Whitetail Crabs) and the spring (picking up 7 more trees from Blue Hill) to add to the 31 trees already in my tree plot. The field they’re going into looks like a sideways triangle with the skinny end oriented to the East and a somewhat decent slope running from North to South. My question is…there are large trees in the woods to the South, so would keeping the trees up farther to the North so they get “more” sun be beneficial? The other issue is I have a stand just South of the LD tree and on the bottom of the red field divider line in the diagram. Currently the closest tree to the stand is at 45 yards and they should start producing fruit somewhat soon. Definitely did not take that into consideration when planting initially. I guess the long and short of my question is should I spread my trees out higher on the field and just practice more or is it ok to plant them “lower” and have them get a bit less sun. The trees already planted currently get good sun in the morning and evening. Thanks for the help.B9BE7156-1B83-452E-A5D2-C8CDDADCAE4F.jpeg

Whats your tree spacing? Seeing as it is, your going to have trouble getting an arrwo to fly without hitting a tree. Leave an open hole where JG or B10 for a ground blind. Prune your lower branches within 20 yards of that spot. Box blind with a vent "chimeny".

MY personal limit is 35 yards. Crossbow might be more.

I'd plant the trees where they'll get sun.

Tree spacing is between 20-25 feet between trees and rows my ground blind would be at about a 25-30 degree angle in that spot plan to prune the lower branches once there are branches to prune! I was up there the other day at about 830 am and there was more sun than I thought getting through the big trees may not be as big of an issue as I thought.

Thinking TC / LD and maybe RF will be problems for that treestand, if the stand will stay there. even HC would open up a shot to the left. MAybe put one or two by the brown and light purple X marked trees if you don't want more to the far left.

Could do that but it moves them further East away from that afternoon sun (definitely a consideration though)..also there is a big dead maple on the S side that is ready to fall right below the light blue tree hoping it falls East but might have to persuade it with a chain saw this winter…

I really wanted to say you got too many trees there. But that would be the kettle calling the pot black........ Trying to squeeze n a few more myself. Looking at turkey creek trees site thinking I want an otterson or a 2nd freedom? Or get both, and give freedom to my fishing buddy for a moving in to a new house gift.

Old NY homesteader laws says you need 40 apples trees. It's still on the books..

Haha I probably do have too many crammed in there but since I’m a rookie I thought more would die (none have) and plan to do some aggressive pruning once they get larger. Wonder what the PA homesteader laws say, as I will have 40+ come spring…

What's the soil like?
If it's sandy and dries out quickly then putting them in a spot where it gets fewer hours of direct sunlight may benefit the tree in the long run.
I try to put wildlife trees in the NW corner of openings so they get that early morning and midday sun but that scorching late day bake in June/July/August....into September is shaded out by adjacent mature woods.

I suspect some of people's tree complaints on here can be attributed to lack of good pruning. Pruning the latteral back might make a more vertical tree, with more room around it to get n arrow.

Far as morning vs afternoon placement. I read it's better for the tree to get afternoon light if given a choice. The soil temp is warmer and allows exchange between roots and leaves better.

This might be something I will do at some point. you got more varieties you want than time or room. Graft different varieties in one tree.

We learn as we go. I am placing trees by drop / ripe dates. Putting bow season trees where I can bow hunt. Putting later dropping trees where I can safely shoot. Atleast at home. Up north, Im mainly hunting there 2 weekends in late october. But, anything to help fatten them up for their tough winters will be good for them.