All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking in a new rifle barrel

B

BJE80

Do you do it? I never have with my previous rifles. But I spoiled myself and picked up a Browning Xbolt Stainless Stalker. Browning recommends it.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=112

Is this something you have done?

Sounds logical to me. What caliber and optics did you get? The mrs. Must have been covered well to pull off a new iron at xmas.

308 and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40 glass.

IMG_5935_zpsc6c80c87.jpg

IMG_5937_zpsd095ecf4.jpg

Sweet. Hows the trigger pull? 150 grain is a nice load.

The X bolt trigger on my wife's .270 is as crisp as I've ever shot. Comes at 3.5 lbs pull from the factory and is adjustable from 3 to 5 lbs. That is one of the big reasons I upgraded as I fell in love with hers.

Sweet looking rifle! Congrats

Very nice looking rifle. I don't know if this is good advice for a firearm or not but when I bought a new car I followed the "drive it like you stole it" breakin technique. It's worked out well so far.

Not so sure about the Browning procedure, certainly would not hurt it, either way over time you’ll accomplish this by shooting the rifle.

You’ll like that Conquest, always been a Leopold guy but the Conquest may sway me yet.

I am far from an expert on this, but...
I would shoot one shot and clean for 10 shots, then 3 shots and clean for the rest of the box. I just used basic hunting loads. I was mostly breaking in Remingtons.

Yes, break it in. Work rifle was custom built, builder said one shot and clean for ten. Then after that 3 shot group and clean for the next 30 rounds. I've done all of mine that way recently, hard to prove if it works once you did it, but they shoot well.

Nice looking gun and scope combo. Should serve you well.

I've read and been told a variety of procedures from some fairly knowledgeable folks. I think this one will be discussed long into the future. Most guys that are pretty serious about accuracy will do the clean one shoot one process and use a good copper solvent. I have most often cleaned new barrels after each shot for the first several shots.....and then after 3 to 5 thereafter until I am sick of cleaning.

Some say its all smoke and mirrors and a "fad".....kinda like moly bullets and shooting abrasive coated bullets (fire lapping). If so, it's a long-lived fad.

You won't ever see a bench-rest barrel that gets fired more than a dozen times without cleaning.

I know a few guys (including myself) that will JB the bore (with a tight patch) to smooth it out. It's said to prevent fouling. Some do this before ever firing a shot and some will do it after shooting a bit. It's all debatable. ;)

I do barrel break in procedure but don't think its nessisary. I have bought several used guns that surly didn't have this done that shoot dead nuts.
I had a xbolt in 308. Great guns! As Nov stated above your 1/12 twist barrel should love 150's. Try hornady btsp mine grouped great with them.
Good luck grats on the new rig

A lot of shooters say it's unnecessary and that you do more harm by pushing the cleaning rod down the barrel a thousand times then you do by just shooting it and cleaning when accuracy starts to wane.

Yes, break it in. Work rifle was custom built, builder said one shot and clean for ten. Then after that 3 shot group and clean for the next 30 rounds. I've done all of mine that way recently, hard to prove if it works once you did it, but they shoot well.
I did my AR roughly the same way. Shoot-clean up to ten, and then I believe it was every ten rounds up to 100. That was the recommended sequence from DPMS. Also can't say if it helps or not, but I put a lot of whistles and bells on my AR and that is the one I want to be reliable and accurate when hunting for nest raiders or prairie dogs.

Great looking rifle.

You will want a MINIMUM of one box down range. You can site it in at this time also. Inspect bolt, receiver, barrel, and inspect optics. Enjoy a lifetime with a very sweet set up. Make sure to clean your gun, mop the barrel with oil, then next season put at least 4 shots down range before you begin to site it in. You will want your barrel seasoned and all oil burned off before you dial it in.

Ammo selection is a whole other thread!!! :)

I think in spring here I will take my bottle of "sweets 7.62", my Tipon cleaning rod, bore guide and a box of .308 soft points I have laying around and go play for an afternoon. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so sure about the Browning procedure, certainly would not hurt it, either way over time you’ll accomplish this by shooting the rifle.

You’ll like that Conquest, always been a Leopold guy but the Conquest may sway me yet.

Two things. First I was thinking about the VX-3 as opposed to the Zeiss. Second Zeiss does not make the conquest anymore. They have replaced that line with the "Terra" line of scopes which are now made in Japan instead of Germany. Just something to think about.

If you are thinking about getting a Conquest I would do that soon and here is a killer deal on one.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conq...e-hunting-turrets-matte-black-5214609920.aspx