brassica planting dates ?

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I am putting several of my smaller food plot areas back into production. Several are spots in 23 year old clear cuts where I had a D3 push all the Scotch pine limbs and the black locust trees themselves. These piles were then burned to the ground. I had the D3 clear out all stumps and rocks in these areas.
I have sprayed them all with generic 41% glyphosate, brand name Buccaneer. The round up took great and killed the grass on the areas. I have done the first pass disking to break up the sod. I did a cross hatch pattern.
I am going to disc again and spray again if needed. Possibly run a commercial rototiller as the last pass to chop up the dead grass and get a good planting surface.
I have RR ready Eagle soy beans, RR sugar beets, and dwarf Essex rape seed to plant. My land is in Portage County, Central Wisconsin. I am going to spread the seed with a belly seeder and then roll it in with a large roller filled with water towed behind the Kubota.
What are the latest dates that I can plant the above seed this season? I have not done later season planting in ages and am looking for any advice that will help me with this job.

Last edited:
As for the rape, you could plant that as late as Labor Day but your tonnage will be nothing compared to a Mid July - Early August planting.

With the proper amount of nitrogen fertilization and rain, it is recommended that you give your brassicas 60-90 days from your average first frost in order to put on the proper tonnage. Look up your average first fall frost date for your area and back up from that date the required 60-90 days. For south central Wisconsin, I would say around the 4th of July would be a good target date.

For my zone end of July is best time to put brassicas out.

I shoot for mid to late July in N. MO. But you guys get some killer weather up there. I had never walked outside to inhale and feel my nose hair instantly freeze until I was in WI in January.

I would get the soybeans and sugar beets in asap. You can spray them after they are in if you need to. The rape end of July or early August whenever you have a good chance of rain.

What did the soil test say about PH nutrients etc?

What did the soil test say about PH nutrients etc?
Yes, get a soil test completed. There is a decent chance that soil is pretty low in PH and will need a fair of lime applied.