White Sweet Clover Planting Conditions?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I've searched high and low and cannot find a clear answer on when to plant white sweet clover. SARE doesn't have it, the seed sellers don't have it, NRCS doesn't have it. Normally, I'd just fling it out there and see what happens, but sold seed is scarified, so it doesn't have the natural mechanisms to resist germination until the right conditions arrive. I always want to go as early as possible to beat the warm season plants, but I've also lost lots of seed to pushing planting times too early.

I've gotten away with it on some things (japanese millet, flax, barley), but not many.

Might as well throw balansa in there too. All their instructions talk about summer planting, but I don't have open windows in summer to plant balansa.

Just did a quick check on when to plant white sweet clover. Found nothing......except that it should be planted on "well drained" soil and not on highly acidic soils. You OK with that?

Just did a quick check on when to plant white sweet clover. Found nothing......except that it should be planted on "well drained" soil and not on highly acidic soils. You OK with that?
No. I wanna know if it can go on cold soil or warm. All I found was a minimum soil temp to germ of 42 degrees.

No. I wanna know if it can go on cold soil or warm. All I found was a minimum soil temp to germ of 42 degrees.
What I meant is......You really cannot claim "well drained" soils with a good PH.....can you?

FWIW......I planted my yellow clover last fall (late August)......and I hope this was the right thing to do. Somehow I thought I read fall planting was preferable. Gotta check my sources.....but that may be tonight. Gotta play some golf now. FORE!

Last edited:
Here you go.

Here you go.

Bingo! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I meant is......You really cannot claim "well drained" soils with a good PH.....can you?

FWIW......I planted my yellow clover last fall (late August)......and I hope this was the right thing to do. Somehow I thought I read fall planting was preferable. Gotta check my sources.....but that may be tonight. Gotta play some golf now. FORE!

You’re golden on your yellow. I’m excited to see how that does for you.

And I’ve got the well drained and the pH figured out now. I’m about 6.0 all over and high and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpntractile roots. Never even heard the word before. This clover has my interest perked. I've lost plants to not planting them early enough to overwinter.