Boycott Dick's

Most of our schools have police officers now, some have metal detectors. We had three area schools on lockdown today over found ammunition. We need single entry, police officer, and metal detectors in every school. Case closed. Worrying about who pays for it is silly. Some things take priority, this is pennies in the bucket for what the government spends. The days of worrying about budgets and deficits is long gone, school safety should be a top priority for everyone. I am tired of talking to my 8 and 12 year old about school shootings. This is a problem that can be easily fixed. Take it out of the defense budget and put a solider in each school. Lots of solutions but our inept government won't do any of them. While I am solving problems, how about a mandatory safety class and backround check if you are under 21 to buy a gun.

When was the last time you saw a story about when a firearm was used to stop a crime that got any serious air time???

Tuesday was a good day for us here in Wisconsin ... a good citizen saved the Taxpayers alot of legal & prison fees by eliminating a scumbag by giving him a lead pill for
his ailment :emoji_wink:

Concealed Carry Holder Shoots Car Jacker

Last edited:
Many things in our society have changed over the last 50 plus years. The availability of firearms has not increased over that time. If anything, there are more restrictions and regulations on the use of firearms than there was 50 years ago. So why do folks so quickly focus on more restrictions on firearms to address these problems. Perhaps we should think more deeply about what has changed over that time period and how that might relate to changes in behavior of some of our youth...

Northbound - If a school didn't put in a pool, or didn't buy new uniforms for the baseball team, ( the sports spending you spoke of ), those are 1-time expenditures. Stopping those kinds of purchases won't pay for years of security people. I doubt even competing private businesses will get you good security "on the cheap". If any security personnel would do that job for less than 70K, I'd question their sanity, given the responsibility they'd take on. When you said to charge tuition to cover expenses to pay for security ........ it's still more money out of parents' pockets. Call it tuition or a "tax" - it's still money you're out. That's why I suggested getting some money from the hundreds of billions of tax breaks from corporations or the "re-patriated" billions we're promised will come back from corporate overseas tax shelters. Not all of it, but surely a few billion would make a dent and not be missed, considering the hundreds of billions hiding over there. Do you have an overseas tax hide-out ??? I don't. Not permitted for avg. schmucks.

Yoder - I'm old enough to know AR-type arms weren't available years ago. I spent GOBS of time in many gun shops and never did I see any of those types of firearms in any of them. It was "regular" rifles, shotguns, and pistols, with clips that held 5 or 6 shells. As for timeline - the interest in military-type guns ratcheted up about the time of the first Gulf War. Live TV coverage of actual war scenes (unlike Viet Nam War), got the "macho" level up in many guys, and leached into our kids' play stations, X-boxes, etc. Look at the number of "games" that are all about war and killing - in very bloody details. Our kids "WIN" on those by racking up the most kills. When I was a kid, we watched western "cowboy" movies, all the time. But our parents told us that they were just movies, and the actors didn't really get shot. None of my friends - or I - ever thought about getting a gun and shooting any of our class mates. It was knuckles in the woods and then over with.

Another thing today - how many folks don't even think about GOD, or go to church, and teach kids there are consequences for all the bad we do ?? (both here and in the here-after).
We didn't mouth off to teachers - or any adult for that matter - because our parents taught us to have respect. I'll lay the blame on bad parents for the first place to look. Many so-called "parents" today S-U-C-K at parenting. If any of us doesn't take being a GOOD parent as a top priority, we need only look in the mirror to see why kids are the way they are today.

Last edited:
Boycott Dick's! I guess we're over that and have progressed to streams of thought! Like you care what I think....
There are lots of points on this star! I think we live in a dangerous world and no amount of spending, mitigation, regulation and/or preparation medical care or invention will move the risk level to zero. In my opinion, in this country we've achieved a remarkable move in that direction to the point where we think we can make it all go away. When something happens we are horrified to think we might be in danger. Are we? What are the odds of something catastrophic happening to you today? Incalculably small. If it's not, I don't want to know! No matter what, there will be a mad man somewhere, in North Korea, Russia, or on the streets and back roads of America. Does this make me callus?

I hope not, but we must start from that understanding and then do our best to further minimize our potential troubles. So far as schools and child safety is concerned maybe we nee to rethink the whole way we approach safety. Where I work we need codes and entry cards. Sometimes there's a man with a gun out there. I've read that there are some schools who quietly arm teachers who volunteer and are qualified. They receive a small additional stipend for their service. And nobody know who they are. Good or bad? I don't know, but it seems a reasonable approach to me. Still, on any given day, no matter what, it may not be enough. That's a hard fact of life.

I work at a place where there are signs that say "No guns allowed." Mine's not far away though. I often wonder, should a shooter enter our building if I would be able to maintain my wits, get out of the building and come back in. I like to think I would, but faced with the very real circumstances, I'm not so sure. The only point to that is nothing guaranteed. So, mother's and father's, teach you children well. Teach them to be confident. Teach them to understand there will always be risks. Teach them the proper responses. We'll be just fine.

Northbound - If a school didn't put in a pool, or didn't buy new uniforms for the baseball team, ( the sports spending you spoke of ), those are 1-time expenditures. Stopping those kinds of purchases won't pay for years of security people. I doubt even competing private businesses will get you good security "on the cheap". If any security personnel would do that job for less than 70K, I'd question their sanity, given the responsibility they'd take on. When you said to charge tuition to cover expenses to pay for security ........ it's still more money out of parents' pockets. Call it tuition or a "tax" - it's still money you're out. That's why I suggested getting some money from the hundreds of billions of tax breaks from corporations or the "re-patriated" billions we're promised will come back from corporate overseas tax shelters. Not all of it, but surely a few billion would make a dent and not be missed, considering the hundreds of billions hiding over there. Do you have an overseas tax hide-out ??? I don't. Not permitted for avg. schmucks.

Yoder - I'm old enough to know AR-type arms weren't available years ago. I spent GOBS of time in many gun shops and never did I see any of those types of firearms in any of them. It was "regular" rifles, shotguns, and pistols, with clips that held 5 or 6 shells. As for timeline - the interest in military-type guns ratcheted up about the time of the first Gulf War. Live TV coverage of actual war scenes (unlike Viet Nam War), got the "macho" level up in many guys, and leached into our kids' play stations, X-boxes, etc. Look at the number of "games" that are all about war and killing - in very bloody details. Our kids "WIN" on those by racking up the most kills. When I was a kid, we watched western "cowboy" movies, all the time. But our parents told us that they were just movies, and the actors didn't really get shot. None of my friends - or I - ever thought about getting a gun and shooting any of our class mates. It was knuckles in the woods and then over with.

Another thing today - how many folks don't even think about GOD, or go to church, and teach kids there are consequences for all the bad we do ?? (both here and in the here-after).
We didn't mouth off to teachers - or any adult for that matter - because our parents taught us to have respect. I'll lay the blame on bad parents for the first place to look. Many so-called "parents" today S-U-C-K at parenting. If any of us doesn't take being a GOOD parent as a top priority, we need only look in the mirror to see why kids are the way they are today.

The weapon type is simply technology. Did we see lots of school shootings with fewer victims 50 years ago because the weapon technology is less efficient? The answer is "No." One might be able to make a case that more efficient weapons result in more victims per incident, but not the increase in incidents. Most folks have a hard time assessing risk. Our kids are at much higher risk of death or injury on their trip to school in a bus or car than they are at school from a firearm. Sensational incidents tend to be overestimated in terms of risk and common risks underestimated.

Thanks,

Jack

Those expensive expenditures are not often a one time cost. Look how much we spend to maintain our property. It isn't cheap to fund the maintenance Crews and such needed for top notch fields and water parks.

Schools funded by tuition rather than tax would keep gov out of it, and patents could get as much security as they felt necessary. Anytime money/tasks goes through government it's way more expensive. Not to mention it would get people to live within their means, can only afford 2 kids- don't have 8, accidentally make a third- work more. You shouldn't be funding my wants nor me yours.
Nope no overseas accounts me. I'm pretty simple, if I have a little extra I buy land or toys. No need to hide money.
Back to main topic I'm gonna be bummed staying away from the deals Dicks always has on decoys.

Tuesday was a good day for us here in Wisconsin ... a good citizen saved the Taxpayers alot of legal & prison fees by eliminating a scumbag by giving him a lead pill for

My point is I am certain it didn't make the national news and the media sure isn't going to dwell on it for days or even weeks. I am glad good people with guns are protecting themselves and others in society..... That may sound bad on my part saying I am glad someone was shot....but at least it was a "bad guy". I am just saying our national media, specifically the news networks, has a very liberal agenda as to what they cover and it really upsets me (I had to re-type my original wording there) that they are no longer reporting "just the facts".... Many times it's a one sided, ill-informed piece aimed at supporting an underlying agenda. Too many people take these stories as factually based and form their opinions on only that skewed presentation of what happened. People need to think for themselves, and realize there is more than one side to the story and somewhere in the middle typically lies the truth. People follow these news stories like sheep..... yet the wolves are the ones telling the stories! Want to guess how that story ends?!?!?!?

Yoder - no argument on the risk of a vehicle ride anywhere. People around here can't get their eyes off their gadgets while behind the wheel.

Last edited:
J-Bird - I saw that story on the news out of Philly. It got pretty good coverage actually. I was glad to see it personally.

Dick's is going to fail on it's own. Pissing off a demographic that largely overlaps the hunting demographic is just dumping fuel on the failure fire.

They know their clientele is shifting younger, urban, and more liberal. They were making more sales in Patagonia gear and Uggs than guns anyway. Their base isn’t old, cheap, white, conservative guys. Heck their softball/baseball bat area is larger than the hunting/fishing area in every one I have ever been to.

If they think their clientele is young, urban, & liberal (code for lazy libs living in their parents basements), then they should fire their marketing dept.

The only place young folks shop is online, they don't do box stores ...

J-Bird ...... post #21 ( and I'm not picking on you !! ) - I think we all would like to see more TRAINED, ARMED security in schools to protect kids. Question #1 - how are they going to be paid for ??? Those folks aren't going to do it cheap, considering all the responsibility that rests on them. NO ONE wants to hear taxes to pay for them, and in my opinion, if our current government can give hundreds of billions of tax breaks to corporations, couldn't a small % of that go instead to fund the school security people ?? The corporations would still be way ahead, and we'd have security folks in the schools. ( And before any of the guys on here who might be worth a few million get upset - I'm NOT talking about you guys. I'm talking big corporations, and I hold a bunch of stock in many of them. It wouldn't break most shareholders. ) Maybe a % of the hoped-for re-patriated money that's been hidden overseas by corporations to avoid taxes ??

You mentioned programs that are poorly funded .............. who's been doing the slashing of budgets ???

OR SHOULD WE SOCK MOM & POP, THE DELI OWNER, OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT BUSINESS OWNER, THE RECEPTIONIST IN THE DENTIST'S OFFICE, TEACHER, STORE CLERK, SALESMAN, FARMER, AND EMT FOLKS, with the tax to pay for the security folks in schools ??? GOD KNOWS THEY ALL MAKE HUGE SALARIES ( so let's stick them again. )

What about metal detectors at EVERY school ??? My thought would be to pay for those with a ONE TIME tax / assessment for all school districts, and not a permanent tax hike that sticks around. That way, every citizen has some skin in the game. Being an electrician for 37 years, I know the cost per installation would not be that big - IF you only have one point of entry to the schools.

What about the mental health assessment and care that's been bandied about lately. Who's going to pay for all that ?? How many here think it should come out of YOUR pockets with more taxes ?? Health care budgets have already been slashed. Maybe the folks worth 30 million on up to 90 billion dollars should get another tax break and we'll ( us little schmucks ) pick up even more tab. Sounds FAIR .............. doesn't it ???

I make this post not being angry, hot-headed, slobbering mad - but trying to ask rational questions about how to solve the school shooting issue, and how to / where should the money needed come from.

Many schools around here are spending tons on sports facilities, even water slides in pools. Could easily stop the unnecessary spending to cover security.

My personal take (which will never happen) is schools should be a privately held business. Charge tuition to cover whatever biz expenses needed such as security. Competition between businesses (schools) for customers (students) would keep prices in check. Parents should pay for their own children. Maybe this would keep people from having countless kids to live off the handouts.
Don't take this the wrong way, I don't hate children. Plan to have some in near future and am perfectly happy to be obligated to cover the costs of them.
This country has a approximately 1 human for every 7 acres of land. And that's not just productive green space land that we're used to, that's taking into account wasteland desserts, blacktop covered parking lots ext.... talk about crowded, no need to encourage people to have more children than they can afford

All schools don’t do this unfortunately. Schools around here have dropped many sports activities due to budget constraints. In fact many schools are strained thanks to government money they are supposed to get not being paid.

There are private schools and most can’t afford these so how is that of benefit to everyone. I am all for anyone who wants an education to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is I am certain it didn't make the national news and the media sure isn't going to dwell on it for days or even weeks. I am glad good people with guns are protecting themselves and others in society..... That may sound bad on my part saying I am glad someone was shot....but at least it was a "bad guy". I am just saying our national media, specifically the news networks, has a very liberal agenda as to what they cover and it really upsets me (I had to re-type my original wording there) that they are no longer reporting "just the facts".... Many times it's a one sided, ill-informed piece aimed at supporting an underlying agenda. Too many people take these stories as factually based and form their opinions on only that skewed presentation of what happened. People need to think for themselves, and realize there is more than one side to the story and somewhere in the middle typically lies the truth. People follow these news stories like sheep..... yet the wolves are the ones telling the stories! Want to guess how that story ends?!?!?!?

Does your original story end at the act of stopping a criminal? No Not in the least. The citizen will likely be sued by family members. This is what we need to deal with now. If someone is engaging in criminal activities their representatives should not be allowed to sue.

If they think their clientele is young, urban, & liberal (code for lazy libs living in their parents basements), then they should fire their marketing dept.

The only place young folks shop is online, they don't do box stores ...
We shop online and they have free shipping over $50. Don’t even have to leave the house. Big box doesn’t just mean brick and mortar.

I started boycotting them when their selection went to chit.... nothing left to boycott with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does your original story end at the act of stopping a criminal? No Not in the least. The citizen will likely be sued by family members. This is what we need to deal with now. If someone is engaging in criminal activities their representatives should not be allowed to sue.

I agree. The Police interviewed and released him. If he is sued all of the power of the Gun Rights orgs will rain down to protect him. This is not the 1st concealed carry justified killing in Wis. They will also sue his family into oblivion ... at the end of the day we play the game of draining the anti gun activists funding by keeping them in suits they can't win. They have consistently moved up the legal ladder re-enforcing gun owner & 1st admend rights.

The real issue we need to deal with is being cowards and setting up soft targets ... when we are armed and they know we shoot back, different ball game.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me ...
Well Dick’s online sales are ever increasing while stores are decreasing. I haven’t been in a “big box retailer” in months, but guess where the shoes on my feet came from, the online sales division of dicks (previously they partnered with eBay for ecommerce). I haven’t been to Roger’s Sporting Goods in years but magically most of my waterfowl gear arrives. It’s amazing. Academy is another a lot of my stuff comes from. I will have to go to the city to buy a newer car Saturday and I am not looking forward to it.