Box blinds

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
You know the nice, plush, banks, redneck, muddy, whatever brand you choose…anyone else can’t stand them? I’ve acquired 4 now through transactions. One is brand new sitting in the shop. Zero desire to put it up right now. I just can’t get into feeling like I’m not “out there”. I feel so restricted in sight, sound and shot ability. Granted I only bow hunt but a lot of folks bow hunt out of them. I feel like this is one new fad in hunting I just can’t get behind.

I look at it as just another spot to go. When it’s nice, I’m out in a tree. When it’s raining or snowing and blowing it is very nice to still be out there and be somewhat tolerable.
they get me out there when I normally wouldn’t .

Last edited:
It's like black coffee, gin martinis and pickled herring... once you acquire the taste you're good to go.

I would prefer to be in the woods but one thing that I absolutely love is not having to worry about getting winded in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely hate them. Until I need one.
Like Buckly I'm usually only in box if the weather would have me on the couch.
On the plus side there is a bit of scent control with them.
But it's not the same as being outside in the end.

Once we get a rifle season in my zone I’ll probably make a move on a couple. I always thought it would be a great tactic to be able to go out, hunt an afternoon, sleep inside overnight and hunt the next morning.

Would think a tactic like that could pay dividends with low intrusion. Bring a pack full of food, a portable charger, plenty of liquid and be good to go for a couple of hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My blinds allow me to hunt in the bottoms where the wind swirls. I much prefer to hunt from a tree stand and that's how I kill most my bucks but without blinds I'd barely be able to hunt any fields or plots on my land.
I build my own blinds, it feels a little less corny to me than being in the same plastic box that all the YouTube heroes are using. It's not really any different, but it feels better, lol.

If there is a YouTube video of a hunt taking place in a blind I turn it almost immediately every time.

That said, My brothers and I have been shopping around for some just to get my Dad back out and hunting again. In certain circumstances, it's the only way for some people to hunt or for anyone to hunt certain locations. I'm willing to pay virtually any price at this point if it means the person who got my brothers and I started in all of this excited about hunting again.

Aside from maybe a cell camera, I can't think of another somewhat recent piece of equipment that is responsible for killing more big bucks than box blinds.

If you have kids - it can be a game changer. I have one box stand I could shoot a deer out of every other trip

Box binds are another tool in the arsenal, just as pop-up blinds serve a similar purpose. Box blinds are especially helpful on small properties that do not lend themselves to spot-n-stalk methods. I use box blinds on our home property as I have lots of neighbors and the blind placement allows for hunting lanes and plot planning. On our remote properties, I use ladder blinds, pop-up blinds and my favorite--natural cover.

As Hoytvectrix noted, blinds are great for seniors. A ground mounted box or pop-up blind is a game changer for reactivating older hunters--especially when blinds that are ADA accessible. The grandkids who came out for the youth opener would not have enjoyed a day of hunting without a box blind due to the rain and sleet.

The benefits also include the opportunity to go overboard...such as in the example below:
1698830712331.png

I will get my "being out there" next week while in Northern Alberta. A full 6 days, dusk to dark sitting in a ladder stand with no enclosure. Morning temps 15-20 F with highs in upper 20's. I keep telling myself I am getting too old for this shitz.

On my property, I have ~8 box blinds. We have lots of trees and wooded areas; however, finding a good tree for a ladder stand is a challenge. Oak wilt then emerald ash borer always seems to impact the best stand site trees. We also have creek bottom areas where swirling winds won't allow you to hunt in the open. I have several homemade, and some prebuilt. I really enjoy the ladder stands, but the box blinds have there benefits when the weather turns bad. We just had 4" of snow yesterday. Box blinds do remove a certain aspect of connecting with your environment ... carpeted floors, a heater, padded office chair, etc.

I tend to bow hunt out of ladder stands and gun hunt out of box blinds. As we get into late Nov and Dec it is nice being in a blind.

As you get older, climbing and hanging 24' in the air on a hang on tree stand is a bit riskier. Box blinds are more safe.

I get the weather angle from you northern guys. It just doesn’t get that cold in ky. I wont bow hunt in the rain, it’s unethical to me, so that is a nonfactor in my world.
I guess I feel like having to play the wind is THE strategy in hunting. So to attempt to remove that with a $4k piece of plastic isn’t my game. Now I totally get those who utilize them for that. Im a masochist!

I get the weather angle from you northern guys. It just doesn’t get that cold in ky. I wont bow hunt in the rain, it’s unethical to me, so that is a nonfactor in my world.
I guess I feel like having to play the wind is THE strategy in hunting. So to attempt to remove that with a $4k piece of plastic isn’t my game. Now I totally get those who utilize them for that. Im a masochist!
I agree with you and feel the same way for all of the same reasons. Hell, most of the time I don't even use a stocking cap because I feel like I miss out on hearing things in the woods or field. One of my favorite things about hunting is being out in nature with a minimal impact to see and hear wildlife. A box blind just doesn't do it for me personally.

I agree with you and feel the same way for all of the same reasons. Hell, most of the time I don't even use a stocking cap because I feel like I miss out on hearing things in the woods or field. One of my favorite things about hunting is being out in nature with a minimal impact to see and hear wildlife. A box blind just doesn't do it for me personally.
That’s funny, if I wear a stocking cap it’s pulled over, above my ears for the same reason!

I keep thinking I want to build a nice blind (partly just because I like to build stuff); insulated, heater, chimney to let scent out above the trees... But then I remember the times I've hunted in one and just about drove myself nuts trying to listen or feel the wind direction... and I think "why build it, you won't sit in it"... then my cold fingers start to hurt and I start thinking about how I'd build it and what features I'd add to...

We have four box blinds, and while I don't care for them, they do serve a purpose. My wife gets cold and they allow my FIL to continue hunting so they use them quite a bit.

Years ago, on a pretty cold opening morning of rifle season, I was sitting in a stand and my wife was in a blind. She sends me the below pic, with a steaming hot cup of coffee purposely placed, and says, "it's a nice morning".

20201122_064357.jpg

For years, I just bow hunted - strapped up in a tree 25 ft off the ground. Most of the time, I couldnt see 50 yards. When the grand daughters got old enough to start hunting - we started in ground blinds and added some box stands. We put these in completely different places than where I would bow hunt. Places where you might be able to see 400 yards. Things I rarely saw bow hunting - deer breeding, bucks fighting, coyotes, bobcats, eagles, sunrises and sunsets - I now saw all the time.

I started hunting with a rifle. I enjoy it more than bow hunting, now. I dont kill any - because I choose not to. If I am going to kill one, I still do it with a bow.

I regularly charter fish offshore. I cant stand to charter a boat with an air conditioned or heated salon. Other member of the party will spend most of the time in there until someone tells them there is a fish on. I like to be in the cockpit - in the spray and diesel fumes, where you can often see the fish strike, see the flying fish, dolphins, and sea turtles. So I do get the aversion to some folks to hunting out of a box stand.

I'm 58, and still climb trees with hang on stands to bowhunt. Being a detective, scouting from afar, figuring out patterns, factoring wind, is part of the thrill of the chase for me. You gotta be good at it to consistently get a shot. Getting old is great but sucks at the same time. I'm not nearly as prone to moving my hang on stand 100 yds at a moments notice, it's just too damn physical.
I also have 2 elevated blinds, nothing fancy, only 7 feet high, with pop up blinds on top. One is set up with a max of 55 yd shot in all directions, the other has views for 3-400 yds. Last few years I've been spending more and more time in my blinds. I spend 90% of my blind time in the one that only has 55yd max shot. The other blind's in a great place, bought the bad boy long range rifle (found out I'm not very consistent at 400yds) for that type of stand, but, it's boring as hell to watch at those distances. Early on I thought it'd be cool to see a long ways and be able to get out there and touch them, but, I find myself pulling my cell out to keep me occupied, and that's the point where I don't feel like I'm engaged with my surroundings. Between those long distances, and being in the blind, it just doesn't do it for me. I gotta have them close.
I will guarantee tho, when it's cold/rainy, you'll find me in a blind for sure. I've hunted for many years, paid my dues, and don't have it in me to got thru the suffering if i don't have to

I wouldn't last an hour w/o a stocking cap. When its in the 20's and blowing don't have a choice. Sitka's stocking hats are the best I've found. Not cheap but worth every penny.