Box Blinds

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I personally am no fan of sitting in a box blind, there is something to sitting out in the elements that adds to the hunt for me. However, I have a couple situations where I may need one with no available tree or the tree I'm in is going to die and I want to be elevated. Does anyone have any box blinds they like for bowhunting, I know the Redneck ones have a lot of press right now but they also are not giving those things away either. Thanks!

I have a shadow hunter 6x6 octagon. It's not my prefered bow blind but I have sat in it for bow depending on weather & plan to use it for late season bow.

Last edited:
I've got 4 rotomolded plastic blinds and two plywood box blinds. I MUCH prefer the plywood blinds. Reason? : It's all in the entry/exit. My rotomolded blinds all have a trap door and the plywood blinds have a side entry. MUCH better with the side entry. Quieter too. The height doesn't matter much to us....as we shoot from a stool. I'm done with trap doors.....too much effort to come and go......like when you gotta pee. ;)

If the rotomolded blinds had a side door.....I think I could be quite happy with them. I may convert one next summer.

I got my eye on a 5x6 crossover Redneck blind. NICE!!

I don't bow hunt from mine - but I have built both of the ones I use. As much as I prefer to be out in the air as well, when the weather turns nasty or you want to take the kids they are awesome. I also like the hiding in plain sight idea. I am even toying with the idea of putting my next one on wheels some how so I can move it around. I like building mine - I take some pride in building things myself (I bet I'm not alone in that area). I'm also too cheap to fork out that kind of coin (I may not be alone in that subject as well). Sorry I am not much more help than that.

I also prefer sitting out in the open and plan to buy a Heater Body Suit before next season. I own one Banks 3NBR Stump blind and it does work nice when the wind is unbearable. I am planning on adding a second enclosed blind and am still deciding on what to go with. There are several blinds made by local guys that also look good.

Let us know what you decide.

FB-are you going to try the HBS on before purchase?

Is there a central Mn. source? Reed's in Walker used to have them.

FB-are you going to try the HBS on before purchase?

Is there a central Mn. source? Reed's in Walker used to have them.

I'd like to try on their largest size as I am worried about length. They have them at Scheels but not in my size. They appear to be made well but I don't know if they are tall enough for me. I do get to Walker every summer as the wife and I like to drive up from the lake and see the area. I always stop at Reeds so I'll have to give them a call. I thought I might also call the MFG and see if I can't get an agreement to return it if its to short.

Was just looking at the HBS size charts. Some get pretty big.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/sizechart.html
Thanks foggy, never saw that. Looks like a XX Tall wide would do the trick. They list it for over 220 which is many guys these days. I'll do some measuring and then call them to make certain.

Thanks

My SIL and Grandson spent a week in Buffalo County Wisc. They got in the stand in the dark....spent all day.....and left in the dark. 5 Days of hunting.....and they both get cold easlily.....as both have had some frostbite issues from the past. They both claim the HBS was the real deal.....and there was no-way they could have put that time in without the HBS. I know they had some cold weather for that hunt.....and I wondered how they would fare. They swear by the HBS product.

I'm also looking to get a box blind this year. It's between the Redneck and Shadow Hunter and leaning Shadow Hunter due to the reviews of guys on here. I want to look at them at the Deer & Turkey Expo.

My wife and I both have the HBS. It's, in my opinion, the best piece of hunting gear we own. My wife is small and she does multiple sits during the rut and rifle season with it. I like I can wear very little clothing and stay warm during those same timeframes. The worst part of the HBS is getting out of one to walk back to the truck!!

We were at the pro shop one day and a guy was looking at the HBS and talking about how he gets cold. He asks the owner about how warm they are and he looks at my wife and says ask her what she thinks. My wife tells him how much she likes it and the days she sat all day with it. He looks at the suit, again at my wife and says I'll take it. If it can keep her warm, I should be good. About three weeks later we're back at the shop and the owner tells us the guy came back and bought another one for a family member.

I have made five 5'x5'x 74" high blinds with the intention of hunting with bow out of them they also double as gun blinds . The deer don't care after they have been there a while. I shot a 5.5 y old buck out of one this year at 7 yards and could have shot another at least 4 plus year old as well plus a lot of younger ones.

The elements are defeated with the enclosed blinds and allows one to enjoy hunting in crappy weather. The only negative in my opinion is one don't get the same panoramic view one gets in an open stand. The wind was brutal this year during rifle and with high temps of 15 to 25 degrees it made hunting all day possible and most importantly enjoyable.

I am opposite of foggy as I prefer trap door. Mine are quiet entry, and I believe allow me to enter the blind much more inconspicuous than up the outside of it on a ladder or steps. I have brush or trees planted around the blind to break up my up the middle blind entry. To make them quiet so the floor don't squeak make sure to glue the floor boards on and screw them so they are locked down, then cover with carpet.

^ I agree that they are "stealthy" from a vision standpoint. But I always end up making some noise, and you gotta move the stand contents around to get access on my blinds. Then too....the door is usually bumping my head as I haul my gear thru the trap door. Maybe I'm just getting old.....but most of our hunters prefer the side entry doors too. They all have their points.

I am leaning toward one of those Redneck 5x6' Crossover blinds. I like the tempered glass and tight seal. Lots of vision out of those blinds and lots of options to hunt with bow or gun. I don't see much value in the insulation of the Shadow Hunter from a warmth perspective......but the insulation may prove to be a bit quieter.....and I have wondered about condensation issues with the fiberglass blinds. Yet.....I have no condensation issues with my rotomolded plastic blinds.

I looked at both redneck & shadow hunter at the same show. Both built very well. both had bow windows. Both were octagon. The shadow hunter was less $$$$$$$$ and went home with me.
Here's it going up.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/tooln/embed/story_22307/story"></iframe>

I could use a couple guineau pigs for a new hubless blind. They can be mounted to a platform or put on the ground. I have had one out for 6 weeks and while the 4 'old style' hubbed blinds are flattened and broken from the snow, the new one is standing tall.

Weak spots are gone. No hubs. No light fabric. No UV fading issues.

My hard costs are about $150 until quantity of scale kicks in.

Who read Prerich article in Mn Outdoor News? Different perspectives from different folks.

I'd be interested in putting one on a raised platform. I have a cheaper blind that I now realize is to short for me to draw my bow in so I will probably give to my nephews to use. Let me know.

I could use a couple guineau pigs for a new hubless blind. They can be mounted to a platform or put on the ground. I have had one out for 6 weeks and while the 4 'old style' hubbed blinds are flattened and broken from the snow, the new one is standing tall.

Weak spots are gone. No hubs. No light fabric. No UV fading issues.

My hard costs are about $150 until quantity of scale kicks in.

Any pics of the hubless blind? I have a platform that I want to finish this year. I'm not quite sure what a hubless blind is.