Bo’s Hideway. Central Va

Dang the deals are falling all over you,I bought a 6ft landpride at an auction,looked good from the outside but after I got it bent blades and trashed stump jumper.I still will have less than 900.00 in a almost rebuilt implement.I have a 5 ft kingkutter that needed some parts and finally found a aftermarket parts and saved hundreds over brand name parts

The stump jumper on my old one was basically nonexistent. The guy we got this from completely rebuilt it from the ground up so for 200$ it was a steal. Get what I need at mine cut and then take it to the hunt club and start bushhogging up there. I don’t usually come across deals but I’ve had a string of luck lately! I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t posted in a while, I blew up the tractor bushhogging hunt club roads and paths. Original head gasket on the 58’ ford diesel finally gave up. Found a guy to fix it and my dad arranged for him to have it repainted while he had it. Big surprise for me.
15659a759d10cdf124506fea4e1d52b4.jpg

08e659e961e8f9763b46e119bf77e550.jpg

And this deer here finally gave me some fresh pictures last night, giving me hope that maybe he’s going to give us a chance this year. 5th year of pics and this is the first time I’ve ever had pics of him this late. Usually the last pic of him is the first week of September. He showed up again last night and that’s never happened in the 5 yrs I’ve been trying to kill him. Last pic of him before last night was the 28th of august.
06d4966d5502fbe21779d7035ead3e9b.jpg

ba60151c43f339d93ef0223d118f90f5.jpg

Haven’t posted in a while, I blew up the tractor bushhogging hunt club roads and paths. Original head gasket on the 58’ ford diesel finally gave up. Found a guy to fix it and my dad arranged for him to have it repainted while he had it. Big surprise for me.

And this deer here finally gave me some fresh pictures last night, giving me hope that maybe he’s going to give us a chance this year. 5th year of pics and this is the first time I’ve ever had pics of him this late. Usually the last pic of him is the first week of September. He showed up again last night and that’s never happened in the 5 yrs I’ve been trying to kill him. Last pic of him before last night was the 28th of august.

Which model is that Ford?

An oldy but a goody! They just keep on chugging along. Nice buck as well!

Well hunting season is in so the habitat work has stopped for the time being. I did order the nativ nurseries whitetail oak package. I planted all 12 of these trees in the front just to have some variety where the house is going to be. It consisted of 2 each of swamp chestnut, nuttall, shumard, white, willow, and cherrybark oaks. I have had a successful bow season so far. I’ve had a wide 9 and the big one on camera sporadically and killed this deer at last light the first week. I thought it was the 9 but it wasn’t. Oh well mistakes happen.
55bc1b23181c958936a5f1b37fc6ec0e.jpg

I had an encounter with the big one at last light two evenings ago. I was watching 5-6 does in the food plot when I saw a body come out on the right side. I knew immediately which deer it was just by the sheer body size even though I couldn’t see his head at that point. He pushed a doe around and gets to 52 yards. The camera took this picture while I was looking at him.
a1381b72d968134fe6dc28911ac94e69.jpg

Atleast he’s still around, I guess the clover that is almost knee deep is holding him. I am very happy with how this foodplot turned out. I am unsure if I will continue to leave the taller strips throughout but it was an idea. I’m open to thoughts on whether to leave the strips next year or just make it straight clover. It does make it hard to see the deer at times.
476973966bab0ab2de514698752e6e8a.jpg

e08a72221fd246088fcafdd2cd8ebcd2.jpg

Nice buck. I'd guess 2 1/2 or 3 1/2

Nice buck. I'd guess 2 1/2 or 3 1/2

Yeah it happened quick at last light l, I thought it was the 9 I had on camera as soon as I saw him. It wasn’t… I’ve had a bunch of pics of this deer all summer too and intended to let him walk. Just a heat of the moment mistake, but hey he was 27 rolls of burger… hard to beat that

Yeah it happened quick at last light l, I thought it was the 9 I had on camera as soon as I saw him. It wasn’t… I’ve had a bunch of pics of this deer all summer too and intended to let him walk. Just a heat of the moment mistake, but hey he was 27 rolls of burger… hard to beat that

Yep, we shoot for 3 1/2 + here, but in the heat of the moment, we have mistaken 2 1/2 for 3 1/2 pretty easily. Sometimes things happen fast and the decision is split second. They all taste good to me!

that's a big dude!

Sitting up here this evening waiting on prime time, looking over my plot thinking about how far this place has come in two years. Must say I am happy with how the clover and chicory came out this year. Already looking forward to improving it some more.
ca3f762a3b81c1e368a91858403d4842.jpg

30407cb1af41063618ce4e2f2caa1de3.jpg

bc70cb4c7b921ba5faae95c7680ed35c.jpg

Yep, I was struck by the same disease. Hard to change focus from wildlife management and habitat to hunting. 😄

Yep, I was struck by the same disease. Hard to change focus from wildlife management and habitat to hunting.

Yeah already planning on some hack and squirt and some hinge cutting, cutover starting to open up some. Also thinking about potentially adding two more small food plots. Talked to the builder the other day and the house should be getting started in the next month or so.

Yeah already planning on some hack and squirt and some hinge cutting, cutover starting to open up some. Also thinking about potentially adding two more small food plots. Talked to the builder the other day and the house should be getting started in the next month or so.

I don't know the specifics of your cutover, but you may want to consider another approach to hinge cutting. I think hinge cutting works better in the north. It takes vertical browse that is out of reach of deer and puts it at ground level keeping the tree alive for a number of years to produce browse. Here is central VA, we don't really have severe winters where browse is super important. Now I realize it also creates cover and removes canopy, but creating "mineral stumps" give you the cover and removes canopy. I think it works better in our area. If you are not familiar with "mineral stumps" the MSU Deer Lab has a couple good podcasts on it. Basically, you just cut down the trees and leave a stump. Rather than putting the energy into the high volume low quality leaves and browse of a hinge cut tree, that same large root system pushed the same energy and minerals into much less higher quality leaves on stump sprouts. These are sought out by deer because of the higher nutrition value.

Just another approach to consider...

Thanks,

Jack

I don't know the specifics of your cutover, but you may want to consider another approach to hinge cutting. I think hinge cutting works better in the north. It takes vertical browse that is out of reach of deer and puts it at ground level keeping the tree alive for a number of years to produce browse. Here is central VA, we don't really have severe winters where browse is super important. Now I realize it also creates cover and removes canopy, but creating "mineral stumps" give you the cover and removes canopy. I think it works better in our area. If you are not familiar with "mineral stumps" the MSU Deer Lab has a couple good podcasts on it. Basically, you just cut down the trees and leave a stump. Rather than putting the energy into the high volume low quality leaves and browse of a hinge cut tree, that same large root system pushed the same energy and minerals into much less higher quality leaves on stump sprouts. These are sought out by deer because of the higher nutrition value.

Just another approach to consider...

Thanks,

Jack

Thank you sir, I will definitely give those podcasts a listen. I was more looking for the cover as opposed to
The browse, but having available browse is never a bad thing either.

Thank you sir, I will definitely give those podcasts a listen. I was more looking for the cover as opposed to
The browse, but having available browse is never a bad thing either.

Cutting the tree down gives most of the cover. Keeping it alive with a hinge does provide some additional in terms of leaves, but that is not a lot extra. It all depends on the situation and what you are trying to accomplish. Mineral stumps are just another option.

Well our shotgun season started yesterday and the club elected to hunt up the county. The pics of the big one stopped the last week of bow season on an evening that dad had him at 60 yards. This deer is driving me crazy. So since they hunted up the county yesterday I can down here today and cut the strips out of the food plot, and now I’m sitting in the blind with the H&R slug gun. Hoping to break this gun in this evening as I haven’t killed a deer with it since getting it from dad last year.
d355a97aa57f46bf4e00e703ba2a7a87.jpg

653d6ea37a8aa88d982a09fe7ff7669c.jpg

Well our shotgun season started yesterday and the club elected to hunt up the county. The pics of the big one stopped the last week of bow season on an evening that dad had him at 60 yards. This deer is driving me crazy. So since they hunted up the county yesterday I can down here today and cut the strips out of the food plot, and now I’m sitting in the blind with the H&R slug gun. Hoping to break this gun in this evening as I haven’t killed a deer with it since getting it from dad last year.
d355a97aa57f46bf4e00e703ba2a7a87.jpg

653d6ea37a8aa88d982a09fe7ff7669c.jpg

our county decided to allow rifles a few years ago just when I was ready to buy a 20 gauge shotgun because of the improved ballistics over my 12 gauge Benelli SBE that I used for years. I took 2 during archery season this year and 3 during muzzleloader, so I'm taking a break till next week.

Beautiful pics!

our county decided to allow rifles a few years ago just when I was ready to buy a 20 gauge shotgun because of the improved ballistics over my 12 gauge Benelli SBE that I used for years. I took 2 during archery season this year and 3 during muzzleloader, so I'm taking a break till next week.

Beautiful pics!

Sounds like you are having a great year. I’ve killed 3 with the bow and one with the shotgun at the club yesterday. And to my gf on two she killed with the muzzleloader.

This is a 20ga ultra slug. They are heavy but tack drivers. I don’t see rifles ever being allowed in this county. I shot this gun again this evening. The hole by itself is a 2.75 accutip. I decided to shoot two 3” federal trophy coppers to see what it did as I’d never tried them. Needless to say I think with either of those two rounds I’ll be happy. The federal are touching.
d2db4c2502ece02281793c9919d32647.jpg

I have a couple 20 gauge H&Rs for some of the kids I take out. The shot pretty well with Breneke slugs. I always used the lighfield hybrids in my 12 gauge. Inside 100 yards they were very effective. I never thought our county would allow rifles either. Since firearms are controlled by the locality in VA, there is a lot of politics involved.

My season has been different this year. I have harvest plenty of deer and on the upside, I have not lost any this year. However, my efficiency is way down. I've been fortunate this year to be able to hunt many more days than in previous years because of a change at work. I've seen fewer deer this year than in previous years and logged more hours in the stand. Our deer numbers may be down a bit, but with this year's acorn crop, there is food everywhere and deer are very quick to react to hunting pressure. Most of the movement is at night now.

The only real advantage to our county going to rifles is I have a few more shot selection options. I would say that 98% of the deer I've harvested have been under 100 yards and 99+ have been under 150. I never really found a shotgun to be a significant limitation.