Black Fungus on Apple Tree

Ck1084

A good 3 year old buck
I was planting some other trees and noticed I have a black fungus on an Arkansas Black apple tree I planted 2 years ago.

If it was a side branch I'd just cut it off, but this is the main trunk. Is there something I can spray it with to treat it? I scraped a small area with my fingernail, and its still green underneath. Also the branches all have fresh buds growing. So the tree seems to be alive and growing. I'm just concerned it is going to spread to other trees in the orchard (apples, crabs, and pears).

Attachments

• 20200405_103441.jpg
    20200405_103441.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200405_123620.jpg
    20200405_123620.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 29
I have it too. It starts on my pruning cuts. Sometimes it kills the branch, sometimes not. Depends on the tree variety.

Yep I've seen same on a couple of mine before, I think it has to do with cold&wet. Hasn't seemed to hurt the ones I've got, by mid summer they were out of it.

Ok thats good to hear. So you're saying I don't need to spray or treat them in any way? It will basically work itself out?

Ok thats good to hear. So you're saying I don't need to spray or treat them in any way? It will basically work itself out?

It killed a Snowsweet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk