Black Cherry: Need caging?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I am considering buying some black cherry seedlings and am curious if I should be concerned about browsing? I really have no interest in trying to cage all the trees because of the cost. If I can plant them with minimal care, then it may be a tree I go with. Thanks.

VV

Deer like to rub on them in my area

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Why not tube them?

They love to rub them, if you want them to make it, you’ll need some protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am considering buying some black cherry seedlings and am curious if I should be concerned about browsing? I really have no interest in trying to cage all the trees because of the cost. If I can plant them with minimal care, then it may be a tree I go with. Thanks.

VV

This a row of black cherry planted about the same time as the white spruce and white pine .

They get whipped on pretty good in the tubes. Some have grown enough to bust out of the tubes.

They were planted along the conifer edge as a rub line and man does it work.

Attachments

• 20240204_152730.jpg
    20240204_152730.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240204_152737.jpg
    20240204_152737.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the info. I wasn't dying to plant them, but the local Soil and Water office is selling them and thought I may pick some up if I didn't need to protect them.

VV

This cherry has outgrown its tube. This year most of my others will get the tubes stripped.

I reuse the split tubes for short seedlings.

1000000898.jpg

I wouldn’t plant them unless you’re gona protect them. Your trying to save money by not protecting them ,but in reality your lighting money on fire.
Deer eat any new growth they can reach!!!!!

bill