Grafting other fruits to apple tree

NorthWI

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any luck grafting other fruits to apple trees? I think I heard it can work with pears, how about plums?

Nope. Tried a couple pear scions on a wild crab apple. Didn't work. I've tried apple on rowan without success. Pear works on quince and rowan, but they can be picky with varieties.

Plums are a while different family. They'll match with other stone fruits like cherry and peach, but not apples or other pomes.

What are you trying to do? Graft onto an apple tree you have on your property?

Nope. Tried a couple pear scions on a wild crab apple. Didn't work. I've tried apple on rowan without success. Pear works on quince and rowan, but they can be picky with varieties.

Plums are a while different family. They'll match with other stone fruits like cherry and peach, but not apples or other pomes.

Yes, I have a bunch seedling apple trees starting to bear fruit and just wanted to check options instead of just grafting over to other apple varieties.

'Winter Banana' apple variety has long been known to be reasonably graft-compatible, long-term, with a number of pear cultivars. Placing an interstem of WB on an apple rootstock - or even on individual branches - can allow you to graft on pear scions and have reasonable success. Likewise, there are some pear cultivars that are known to be graft-compatible with apple.
Someone, somewhere along the line, developed a 'SuperClone' apple rootstock that was graft-compatible with a large number of pear cultivars.

Some pears are 'more compatible' with apple than others.
25 yrs ago, I bought a bundle of row-run pear (P.communis seedling) rootstocks. I grafted one 2 or 3 times the first year, with no success, and the next tree up the row, had a pear graft that took and grew well, but 'woke up dead' the next spring. When those two rootstocks leafed out the next spring... it became evident that they were apple seedlings, not pear.

What is Rowan? Search couldn’t find it.

'Winter Banana' apple variety has long been known to be reasonably graft-compatible, long-term, with a number of pear cultivars.
Let’s be clear….There is a reason why you are not simply answering “yes” and instead giving a vague answer. That reason is, other than being functionally possible, there is no good reason to do it other than to create a gimmicky tree. The tree will neither be vigorous nor highly productive, nor will it be likely to live a long life when compared to a tree started on appropriate rootstock.