Best rifle for. 9 yo youth

My brother had a Ruger in 44Mag we called it the “pumpkin slinger” he eventually grew to dislike the round for his hunting situation with shots occasionally over 100yds and traded it off. I believe he originally bought it for his kids to use but it wasn’t the bomb diggity he had hoped it would be. He eventually bought a Tikka in 223 that his kids fought over using.

My brother had a Ruger in 44Mag we called it the “pumpkin slinger” he eventually grew to dislike the round for his hunting situation with shots occasionally over 100yds and traded it off. I believe he originally bought it for his kids to use but it wasn’t the bomb diggity he had hoped it would be. He eventually bought a Tikka in 223 that his kids fought over using.

Tikka .223 and a case of ammo = winning. They make a more compact model with shorter length of pull too. If you want to put it in a full size stock, they are readily available online from all the folks modifying their tikkas. I have three takeoff factory stocks sitting in the corner.

Something the kid has a chance at not being afraid of and you can dent lots of primers to get experience without burning a fortune in ammo or waiting for a 243 barrel to cool.

3 of the groups below are from Tikka 223 with 2 different kinds of cheap factory ammo @ 100 yards. Upper left is a custom seekins 300wm with handloads. The middle group is 15 rounds.3694E12F-9E11-413A-886F-EF8E6F96B844.jpeg

Last edited:
I went out today with my grandson and shot guns. He shot a .243 youth, while I think it surprised him by the kick, he said it didn’t hurt. I didn’t want to go bigger, and they didn’t have a 6creedmore in stock, though they had a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a .308 in youth. But we/I decided to get a youth Ruger .243, bolt action with a scope. He did t have the exact one we wanted in stock, but it will be in Wednesday. So we will get more practice in, and a few picture then.

I went out today with my grandson and shot guns. He shot a .243 youth, while I think it surprised him by the kick, he said it didn’t hurt. I didn’t want to go bigger, and they didn’t have a 6creedmore in stock, though they had a 6.5 Creedmoor, and a .308 in youth. But we/I decided to get a youth Ruger .243, bolt action with a scope. He did t have the exact one we wanted in stock, but it will be in Wednesday. So we will get more practice in, and a few picture then.
To practice you may want to look at some 80 grain bullets.....or perhaps some reduced loads which likely would have lighter bullets too. If the gun is a lightweight.....a 243 can have some pretty good recoil in 243.....especially to a youngster.

Did you order the Ruger American or Hawkeye model? I have one of the older M77’s compacts in laminate stock chambered in .223 it’s a very nice rifle but was manufactured back when Ruger was trying to lawyer proof their triggers.

Did you order the Ruger American or Hawkeye model? I have one of the older M77’s compacts in laminate stock chambered in .223 it’s a very nice rifle but was manufactured back when Ruger was trying to lawyer proof their triggers.
You weren't asking me, but I've got the Ruger American Ranch in .223 and I love it. The trigger in the American rifle can be adjusted to something like 3.5lbs very easily. It's not the best trigger I've ever felt but it's far from the worst. I put a 1-5x Leupold on there and have a suppressor in jail for a couple more months. I can't wait to put the suppressor on it. It''s feeling like the perfect little farm rifle.

I"ve owned a few 243's. At the end of the day I always felt they were too heavy duty for varmints (could not see the impact due to the recoil) and too light for deer. Tho.....a decent shot will no doubt kill deer (just was not my "luck"). Still as a youth rifle or an open-country deer gun......they seem fine. I had other experiences. grin.

I am not positive. I know it said made in the USA. I will have to check when I get it Wednesday.

Nice

Good Job Grandpa.

Great job!!!

We shot it today, my first shot was a bullseye, so I let him shoot it, 3 bullseyes in a row. He shot a full box of shells, no flinching, and really tight groups. He is a little slow to get locked on and pulling the trigger. , and he can’t see the target good at 100 yards, which is ok, being he would be lucky to be able to shoot 50 yards. Very happy with the gun, him shooting.

If he can’t see the target good at 100 yards it sounds like something is wrong with the scope setup, maybe eye relief?

243 is a great round and Ruger makes a very good rifle. Congrats to him!

I’ve got a Savage 243 I yote hunt with and it is a flat out tack driver.

If he can’t see the target good at 100 yards it sounds like something is wrong with the scope setup, maybe eye relief?

His eyes aren’t the greatest, and I will admit, the Simmons scope isn’t the best either. I will for sure need to upgrade that.

The new guns with plastic stocks or light weight wood sure doesn't help with recoil.I got SIMS vibration recoil pads that slip off and go to their shotguns.My late 70s model Rem 700 7mag has been one of my daughters and wifes favorite gun while other daughter likes the 308.In the last several years I have heard of more deer wounded with the 6.5 creedmore than the 243.In fact I got mine 49 years ago may.

.In the last several years I have heard of more deer wounded with the 6.5 creedmore than the 243.In fact I got mine 49 years ago may.

I wonder if the oft’ heard “more deer wounded with a .243” is due in part that the round is considered the natural starting place for new hunters. As a former gun dealer, when a .243 sold, you could almost bank on the customer being back in a year or two to “upgrade” to a .308, 30-06 or 6.5 Creedmore. It was not that the .243 was not a deer slayer, it is. The purchase was based upon the perception of “graduating” from an entry level gun with “limited range” to a “real” rifle with “real range.”

I too heard of “many deer being wounded by the 6.5 Creedmore“ during our recent state deer coop meetings. I wonder if that is more of a reflection of this becoming the ”gun of choice” for many new hunters rather than the round lacking in any other way. In my last years in the business, most new hunters wanted “a 6.5.” As with the .243, buck fever can easily increase the odds of wounding a deer. Added to buck fever, the 6.5 Creedmore offers round options that are not suited for deer…I wonder how many just grab a box of ammo and head to the field?

With the accuracy of many entry level rifles, the way to increase harvest and promote conservation is to become very familiar with your firearm and its capabilities. Some of the best deer hunters I know are taking deer with their 25 year old Remington 783, early Savage Axis and 30/30 hand-me-downs. Those hunters know that capacity and characteristics of their gun—skilled honed by actually spending time in the field.

I wonder if the oft’ heard “more deer wounded with a .243” is due in part that the round is considered the natural starting place for new hunters. As a former gun dealer, when a .243 sold, you could almost bank on the customer being back in a year or two to “upgrade” to a .308, 30-06 or 6.5 Creedmore. It was not that the .243 was not a deer slayer, it is. The purchase was based upon the perception of “graduating” from an entry level gun with “limited range” to a “real” rifle with “real range.”

I too heard of “many deer being wounded by the 6.5 Creedmore“ during our recent state deer coop meetings. I wonder if that is more of a reflection of this becoming the ”gun of choice” for many new hunters rather than the round lacking in any other way. In my last years in the business, most new hunters wanted “a 6.5.” As with the .243, buck fever can easily increase the odds of wounding a deer. Added to buck fever, the 6.5 Creedmore offers round options that are not suited for deer…I wonder how many just grab a box of ammo and head to the field?

With the accuracy of many entry level rifles, the way to increase harvest and promote conservation is to become very familiar with your firearm and its capabilities. Some of the best deer hunters I know are taking deer with their 25 year old Remington 783, early Savage Axis and 30/30 hand-me-downs. Those hunters know that capacity and characteristics of their gun—skilled honed by actually spending time in the field.
Well said

Working at the public rifle sight in day at my range last year there was a guy with new AR and some 556 model scope that had a BDC and Turret "calibrated" to hornady 55gr vmax ammo from the factory. The guy insisted on using that ammo for hunting because that's what his scope was "calibrated" to. This person had not a clue of the following pitfalls:
1. Vmax is a varmint bullet made to blow up on impact, terrible choice for a 22 cal deer bullet
2. His scope was second focal plane, meaning the "calibrated" subtensions on his reticle are different based on what magnification the scope was on
3. It was "calibrated" for a given velocity which can vary widely based on the rifle it's being shot from and even the lot of ammo.

Point is, that guy is a prime example of someone likely to say "223 is inadequate for deer" because he's using a terrible bullet choice and prone to make bad shot placement because he doesn't understand how his scope works.