Best rifle for. 9 yo youth

Exhibit A:

I'm old school. Shot placement and good judgement with those smaller calibers is crucial to success. Sometimes with a young shooter that is hard to achieve. Still....I gotta go with a bigger bullet and reduced velocity / recoil vs the smaller calibers for a young shooter or lady. Might depend allot on the person pulling the trigger and the accuracy of the gun......but a bigger wound channel has proven itself over time. .....especially if a less than perfect shot or angle is chosen. Which is all too often. I think I'd choose a reduced load of 7mm/08 or 308 vs those 223's unless you have a crack-shot your dealing with.

I'm old school. Shot placement and good judgement with those smaller calibers is crucial to success. Sometimes with a young shooter that is hard to achieve. Still....I gotta go with a bigger bullet and reduced velocity / recoil vs the smaller calibers for a young shooter or lady. Might depend allot on the person pulling the trigger and the accuracy of the gun......but a bigger wound channel has proven itself over time. .....especially if a less than perfect shot or angle is chosen. Which is all too often. I think I'd choose a reduced load of 7mm/08 or 308 vs those 223's unless you have a crack-shot your dealing with.
Thing is fog a smaller modern bullet going faster produces a bigger wound channel than a larger bullet going slower.

A larger caliber is millimeters bigger. Almost negligible. A modern bullet will fragment and cause a several inches larger wound channel.

Honestly the only real argument these days is modern small bullets cause TOO BIG of a wound channel causing meat loss. Ha.

Old ideas are hard to overcome sometimes. Read the thread wind posted. It’s hard to argue with all the data in the thread.

A high sectional density frangible bullet takes very little bullet diameter to make big wound channels with sufficient velocity and penetrate plenty. A larger and harder bullet at slower velocity is likely to make smaller wounds. Thus, shot placement is no less critical and actually easier to make good shots due to lack of recoil. Hunters thinking it is more critical may lead to better results though because more care is taken before pulling the bangswitch.

Main down side to me is they are messy!

Last edited:
My daughter (9) did fine with a .308. If I was buying a gun specifically for them, I'd go .243
1505cfc013300d3de701e282d429c828.jpg
40477402727ffa6afe87b768855900e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk

I personally hunt with a 30-06 or a .308, depends on how brushy the area I am hunting in. Having some weight behind a bullet helps get it to where it is going through some brush.

A couple weeks back my grandson took his first deer with the .243 discussed earlier in this topic, the bullet didn’t exit the deer at 30 yards. I have yet to see an 06 bullet not exit the deer, even hitting bone at 100+ yards it will leave a fist size hole on the exit wound. Shot placement is critical with smaller bullets.

What bullet did your grandson use? Bullets matter more than headstamps. The closer the shot and higher impact velocity the faster a bullet disrupts and thus less likely to exit. Hitting bone often makes for larger exit wounds because the bone shards are opening things up more.

80 Grain 22 bullet through a Yukon Moose, taking out 2 rips and through scapula on exit.

Coastal Brown bear 223, 77 TMK bullet:

Guess which one was shot with a 300 Win mag and a 180 barnes vs 223 and 77 Tipped match king?

Outdoor life editor from Ak shot his AK moose this year with a 22 ARC, 88 ELDm

Actually lot of interest. 223 really hot in bolt action right now. It’s the perfect whitetail cartridge imo
That would likrly be my next purchase 223 bolt gun. Plinkin" mostly though..

Want a cool old gun plus youth csliber 7mm waters. Necked down 30'30. Did take 2 or 3 deer eith a 357 lever gun. However made a custom 210gr bullet mold with gas check and went subsonic. Neighbors were a PIA back then. Soubded like you were dropping a shovek on the drivewsy ir bangin a hammer.

I am in the 30 cal club. I bought the wife a compact 308W this year as a more practical replacement to the 6.5 PRC I bought her the year before.

What I have discovered is that barrel length and profile (and stock length/fit) are the most important factor for ladies and kids. Going from a 11lb gun to a 8lb gun made a world of difference for my wife's shooting ability. Even without a brake installed, the recoil did not seem to affect her shooting as much as the weight of the gun. After I threaded and installed a brake her first group was sub-moa, and this is a person who has pulled the trigger on a rifle less than 100 times.

I will not use a .223 on any large game. As a professional killer who only strives for headshots I was prohibited from using the .223 or anything smaller in the field, but we were allowed to use 22LR to the head in a controlled setting but not .223/5.56. I never really understood this, but after putting down a couple equine with a .223 I see why. It just did not work well, even on a foal. It was not the instant off like happens with a .243w or greater. A .30 cal mag anything is hard to beat and is much more forgiving for shot placement.

I have to admit though, I just have never been able to get excited about the .223. It's the flat blade screwdriver of shooting tools.

What I have discovered is that barrel length and profile (and stock length/fit) are the most important factor for ladies and kids. Going from a 11lb gun to a 8lb gun made a world of difference for my wife's shooting ability. Even without a brake installed, the recoil did not seem to affect her shooting as much as the weight of the gun. After I threaded and installed a brake her first group was sub-moa, and this is a person who has pulled the trigger on a rifle less than 100 times.
This. I'm really reading this thread for gun suggestions, not cartridge choice.

I have to admit though, I just have never been able to get excited about the .223. It's the flat blade screwdriver of shooting tools.

It's great for everything from coyotes on down. When loaded with FMJ bullets it's the best gun for long distance birds.

I bought a Henry single shot break action in 308 Winny a few years ago. It’s so nice and compact though it’s fairly hefty in weight. I really like it for use in a blind at reasonable ranges Would make a good youth or woman’s gun too. Seems I never shoot more than once out of a blind anyway and likely could quickly load again for a finishing shot if needed. Early on Henry had some heavy trigger pull issues with this model. I sent mine in....they fixed it.....and now it’s like butter.

Last edited:
That would likrly be my next purchase 223 bolt gun. Plinkin" mostly though..

Want a cool old gun plus youth csliber 7mm waters. Necked down 30'30. Did take 2 or 3 deer eith a 357 lever gun. However made a custom 210gr bullet mold with gas check and went subsonic. Neighbors were a PIA back then. Soubded like you were dropping a shovek on the drivewsy ir bangin a hammer.
I got a 223 bolt recently too my man

I've owned a couple of 223 bolt-action guns for some years. 1. Ruger 77 in a lightweight / thin barrel number wears a 2.5x8 Luepold scope and shoots pretty good groups. Good walking around and truck gun when shooting prairie dogs. 2. Savage Heavy Barrel Varmint Rig with a 6x20 Leupold and target knobs. Pounded lots of PD's with that gun. Shoots 1/4" groups with most any bullet. I keep it in OZ now....if I ever get to hunting varmints or PD's. Seems golf gets int he way.

I am more than pleased with the R7 compact. It's typical modern Remington fit and finish, action feels like any budget bolt gun, includes a non-adjustable Timney which is ok and a 5R barrel. Weighs about 7lbs dry. I love the weigh it feels. The kicker is how it shoots, sub moa with a wide range of loads and so much more consistent than the B-14 which cost twice as much.
1729866073517.png

I am more than pleased with the R7 compact. It's typical modern Remington fit and finish, action feels like any budget bolt gun, includes a non-adjustable Timney which is ok and a 5R barrel. Weighs about 7lbs dry. I love the weigh it feels. The kicker is how it shoots, sub moa with a wide range of loads and so much more consistent than the B-14 which cost twice as much.
View attachment 70065
Gotcha. I lean more towards Bergara, as I trust their quality a little more. We have a number of B-14s in camp that are all sub MOA. Stoke runs $708 vs $500 for the current ADL compact in 243. Not quite twice as much.

Gotcha. I lean more towards Bergara, as I trust their quality a little more. We have a number of B-14s in camp that are all sub MOA. Stoke runs $708 vs $500 for the current ADL compact in 243. Not quite twice as much.
I will say the Bergara actions are silky smooth compared to OEM Remington. I got ripped off on my B-14. The shop I bought it from ordered two rifles when they ordered mine, they took both to the range and then sold me the one they did not like. I got it home, scoped the bore and it was already copper fouled. It shoots ok, but not really any better than a SPS.

One rifled I touched recently that I am really impressed with is the Sako S20. That is a very nice factory rifle, and runs about the same price as a B-14.