Best rifle for. 9 yo youth

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I will be taking my 9yo grandchild deer hunting this year. What is a decent rifle for him to hunt with? He weighs about 60 pounds, so small framed. He has been shooting .410 and .22 for years.

Should I get him a .243? That is what I started my son on, but he was bigger.

I started my son with a light loaded .257 roberts. He was 7 and pretty small. My daughter started with a .357 mag, first a marlin 1894 and then a ruger 77. After they got bigger, I switched them both to light loaded 7mm-08's.
Semi-auto's aren't allowed for deer hunting in PA.

I am taking my granddaughter deer hunting with a .410. This means the shots will be crossbow range, not rifle range, using slugs. The advantage is providing a deer/turkey/rabbit/squirrel gun that is versatile, but lacks the distance should a shot not connect with the target. I believe it will be a good round if legal in your state.

The .243 i a classic round, and is what I bought for my kids when they came of age. Sadly, only two of the three hunt. One “graduated” to a .308, but the other still uses her .243.

Mine have shot the 243,308 but my daughter started shooting the 7mag when she was 13 and 110 lbs so now her and my wife fight over it.Alot of it is the stock length and the recoil pad.Check out Sims vibration pads and some of the rifles you can get in youth stocks with options for adult stocks when they get bigger.One thing is the older guns don't kick as much as the newer lighter guns.Also if they are scared of scope get a long eye relief

My thought would be that the .243 is a classic choice and fun to shoot for a young shooter or an adult. I’ll also add that I love the 6.5 x 55 that I have. It’s a mild recoiling round with more than enough capability as a deer cartridge. Any of the modern 6.5s or .260 would also be great options for a young shooter and with a slightly larger bullet might offer a little bit more confidence in the performance even if in reality the terminal performance on game will not be that great Of a difference. Even for an experienced 9 year old, even a bigger child, recoil may be a factor so I don’t think I’d push it too far on the recoil end. Why take the risk of having a shooter intimidated by the firearm they’re using And cause poor shooting habits.

My 5yr son old shot his first deer this past season with an AR in 223. It’s plenty potent for any whitetail if using a well constructed bullet. We got a pass through using a 55gr Ttsx. She didn’t make it 30yrs.

My 45 pound 8 year old killed several deer with a compact .243 in December. He shoots it well but it really bites more than necessary with a “full load” light hand loads aren’t too bad.

I’m having a local gunsmith put on a slightly heavier (#4) and longer 16.5 to 18” barrel. Also adding an aftermarket butt pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is 223 with a 77 grain Sierra TMK (a factory option if not a handloader http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/rifle/details.aspx?id=1016) or 62 grain gold dot (Federal fusion factory ammo).

I started with a 870 12 gauge shooting slugs at 12 and it was a terrible choice. Sure, lots of people might be able to shot lots of cartridges adequately but in almost all cases folks are actively focusing on fighting the instinct to flinch even with modest cartridges. Even a 243 with a full house load is a pretty sharp kick that most people aren't going to honestly say is fun in a lightweight rifle.

Skim through the terminal performance pics of deer, elk, bear, and moose from 223s shooting 77 TMKs on this thread if you have any concerns about lethality: (edited link to one that has links to all the terminal damage to deer, bear, elk, and moose shot with a 77TMK from a 223 https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/page-161#post-2961500)

Last edited:
My 10 year old son used a .243 successfully last fall in Wisconsin, and I'd definitely recommend that caliber. I would also recommend buying a clamping Bog tripod to use with whatever weapon you choose. That will further reduce the recoil while also keeping the gun very steady. We use the Bog tripod with crossbow, rifles and shotguns and it works great.

The new guns are so light they kick more,get a rifle with good wood from the 70s or 80s and a slide on Sims vibration recoil pad so it can be moved back and forth between guns.My girls started with 243.Another thing when looking at older rifles some of them require you to take off safety to operate the bolt.I have seen these get discharged twice on accident.I know I sent in my Remingtons and they changed at factory and since you are sending to factory you can send UPS.They did free of charge on my 7mag and 243

I’ve been leaning toward a 6.5 Grendel bolt action for my girls.

A well-placed round in vitals from a 223 will surely kill a deer, as for that matter can a perfectly placed 22LR (legality momentarily aside)... but my vote for the perfect rifle caliber to hold onto for hunting purposes when young AND old is the 243.

I've got a fair number of larger calibers in my gun safe, and being perfectly honest have worked my way backward over time from starting as a teen with heavier rounds down to lighter rounds just for the light, portable nature of smaller caliber rifles.

The one I've been reaching for over and over the past few years is my light, highly portable, accurate / flat-shooting Browning BAR Mark III. Sniped an ABSOLUTE PILE of hogs with it, and this last season alone killed 3 fully mature bucks with it. Not the cheapest rifle on the market, but love having 5 rounds on board that automatically load (often get a chance to snipe at multiple hogs in a sounder), and think that could be a BIG plus for a young shooter whether you go with a 243 or 223. 👍

If you go with the 223 your most common grains are going to range between 40 and 80 grains, with the 50s and 60s most common. With the 243 you're going to be looking more at 55 to 115, with the most common falling between commercially available "light recoil" rounds in the mid-80s and then 100 grain being commonly used by adults for both hog and deer. I really can't sing its praises enough.... LOVE my 243, to the extent of having all my other rifles collecting dust.

browning-bar-mark-iii-243-win-nr25237-new.jpg
MiniSplit Post Harvest.jpg
Doublebrow Post Harvest.jpg
Ghost Buck Post Harvest.jpg

Think one more picture will speak to just how much of a punch a 243 can deliver. Exit wound on a hog I harvested last year with a shot from my 243 at almost exactly 100 yards -- I was able to actually stick my fist through the hole. Will say that with the 243 I've had fair number of hogs and deer run on me, but with most making it no more than 30 to 50 yards and vitals being absolutely turned into soup.

20230516_114451.jpg

I have an alexander arms 6.5 grendal. My daughter has a couple deer with it. Almost no kick. Shoots flat. I love it.

My first rifle was a 3030 way back in the day, loved that old scopeless winchester until i missed a huge buck. got a rifle with a scope and never looked back. Tried my son on the old 3030 at 12 yrs old, and the cocking and releasing made him too nervous, which made me nervous. Got him a bolt action browning .243, and even tho he has probably 5 other rifles now, the .243 is his primary to this day. 10yr old grandson took his first deer last year, and it was with the .243. I know the .223, 6.5, 260 all fit the bill, too. But you know my vote is a properly fitted, long relief scope, and proper ammo .243!
oh yeah, like bigbend pointed out, some of the biggest blood trails and damage i've ever seen have come from a .243 shot.

I will be taking my 9yo grandchild deer hunting this year. What is a decent rifle for him to hunt with? He weighs about 60 pounds, so small framed. He has been shooting .410 and .22 for years.

I started with a 20 ga at 12 years old. Went to a .243 the next year and used that for 26 years. Switched to a 6.5 creedmore 2 years ago. Both are low recoil guns. Can't go wrong with either one. I've had zero issues w/ either one.

Let us know what you decided for your grandson’s deer hunt. Given he has been shooting for years (and the 410 has prepared him for the “bang” factor), I am sure he and grandpa will do great!

my 8 year old got it done with a 350 legend this last year, but Ohio is a straightwalled state.

I did have him hitting 8" of steel at close to 400 yards with a 243 and a good rest. 95 gr bullet. If you can use a 223, go ahead, but a 243 with proper technique is gonna be a bad machine on deer.