Best Late season mast???

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
While sitting in my stand this past weekend and overlooking my destination food source I came to the realization that If their are any weaknesses in my long term management plan it's late season mast. My longterm goal is maitenance free food sources to supplement my foodplots. I have sawtooths, chestnuts an several early an mid season apples and pears. I have only a couple late bearing fruit trees including 1 Arkansas black an 1 gold rush Apple. We all know that late season food is prolly the most important to a healthy heard. I have food plots that will aid in this but also want some late food sources that require lil to no maitenance.
What's you all' suggestions for late season mast???

I'm going to try WGF Sorghum next year. I have one lone stalk growing outta my summer bird seed pile. It'll be interesting to see if the seed head gets eaten. In the meantime, we are also going to do some chainsaw work to get some tree tops on the ground where we need more sunlight. Those will usually come down around thanksgiving time. If the snow isn't too deep this year, we'll do some more in mid January.

As far as food plots go I planted milo, rye, WW, turnips an standing beans (2acres).

I'm think more along the lines of late dropping pears or apples. Just looking for suggestions. Thought about buying an asain persimmon an grafting its scions onto my native males persimmons

You mentioned Ark. Black and Goldrush apples. Another good late dropper is Enterprise apple. Highly disease resistant, drops mid-Oct. thru November.

Jordan - If you want something that'll drop thru cold weather, you might look into " All Winter Hangover " and " Winter Wildlife " crabapples from Saint Lawrence Nursery. The fruit hangs on into winter and drops sporadically as the winter progresses. SLN describes A.W.H. ^^^ as 1 to 1 1/2" crabapples that hang in clusters, some all winter long.

Jordan - If you want something that'll drop thru cold weather, you might look into " All Winter Hangover " and " Winter Wildlife " crabapples from Saint Lawrence Nursery. The fruit hangs on into winter and drops sporadically as the winter progresses. SLN describes A.W.H. ^^^ as 1 to 1 1/2" crabapples that hang in clusters, some all winter long.
Tks B&B sounds like it be good to have a few of these trees. I will start looking into them

Jordan - We have a " All - Winter - Hangover " crab at our camp. It's in the ground 2 yrs. now and growing like crazy. Hope to get first fruit next year. Mr. Bill MacKentley, owner of SLN, has never steered me wrong when he recommended or described a tree. Been happy with everything I got from them. Their e-mail add. is - trees@sln.potsdam.ny.us They send out a 47 page booklet with any purchase telling ALL you need to know for planting & tree care. Best of luck. ( I do not work for SLN! )

Jordan, there are a lot of late dropping persimmons and pears. Both of those fruits are relatively easy to grow as a general rule. I noticed persimmons on my place today which were still hard as a rock and generally cover November into December very well.

Jordan, there are a lot of late dropping persimmons and pears. Both of those fruits are relatively easy to grow as a general rule. I noticed persimmons on my place today which were still hard as a rock and generally cover November into December very well.
Native I'm leaning towards pears I think. I'm finding lots of loaded trees persimmons on my place that are still very green as well. What do you recommend as far as later dropping pears? I have one Kiefer and have another on the way from turkey creek. Thought about going with some Asains..

Native I'm leaning towards pears I think. I'm finding lots of loaded trees persimmons on my place that are still very green as well. What do you recommend as far as later dropping pears? I have one Kiefer and have another on the way from turkey creek. Thought about going with some Asains..

Kieffer is a very good one. I planted some of those 7 years ago and have had some good crops already. I also planted some of the late varieties that the Wildlife Group sells. Some of those had fruit for the first time this year, but they are such young trees that I pulled the pears to keep them from breaking the limbs on the young trees. The ones I bought were all late droppers. You can go to their web-site and it does a good job describing the drop times and disease resistance of what they sell.

Moonglow will drop through early October. My Moonglow today still had just a handful of pears on it and they are getting soft. For disease resistance and hardiness, it is a great pear, but probably a little earlier than you are looking for. If I remember correctly, the latest pears that WG sells are Gate and Mrs. Lalane (sp?). I have some of those set, plus a few others.

X2