Be careful out there

Reagan

5 year old buck +
I just received a call from my Dad. He tells me that a friend of ours was shot this morning while turkey hunting. This guy has hunted turkeys for 40-50 years. He has taken dozens of people hunting over the years and has done much with NWTF and their youth hunts. I was scouting with him at age 11 when I heard my first gobble 30 years ago. He is the most experienced turkey hunter I know.

The guy that shot him was an adult who he had hunted with before.

Details are sketchy. I just know they were going to move and re-set up on a bird they were working. The guy mistook him for a bird and shot. It is not life threatening but he is "messed up". Doctors are currently deciding on what pellets to remove and what to leave. One is in his sinus that is causing the most concern.

I write this because I have hunted with this guy. He is very safe and always talks about safety. He says "wear a safety harness" every time I see him in the fall. I guess things like this can happen to anyone when there is a split second lapse of judgement.

NO YOUR TARGET AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

Probably private. I do know that the guy who shot him was hunting WITH him. So it's not like he was surprised by a stranger in the woods.

Last edited:
I've got a blaze orange hat for this time of year in the woods - especially if I'm working near the edges of my lot.

I understand accident will happen deer hunting even though they shouldn't, but how does someone mistake a person for a turkey? That just shouldn't happen unless a guy is shooting at everything that moves or makes a noise. Should be criminal. I hope your friend is ok.

I hope he recovers. With camo getting better I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.

Probably private. I do know that the guy who shot him was hunting WITH him. So it's not like he was surprised by a stranger in the woods.

I just noticed that WITH was missing in my original post. Sure makes that sentence read differently.

Turkey hunters walk around in complete camo making sounds like the animals they are hunting. I think it is crazy some states allow spring Rifle season for turkeys. Not sure if they still have it but West Virginia allowed rifles years ago. Seems like people were killed every season in that state.

Terrible news Reagan. Prayers going out to your friend. 99% of all turkey accidents are due to overzealous and extremely careless hunters. Rifles are one thing, but at the distances that turkeys are hunted with shotguns, how are you not completely sure your target is a turkey? No excuses!

I've been thinking it over and just can't comprehend how a turkey hunting accident can take place. Deer hunting, shouldn't happen but I get it. Turkey, I just don't get it. Hope the hunter makes a full recovery.

I just have no sympathy for anyone shooting a person by mistake. Absolutely no excuse. Know your target and where the ammo is headed. I've had two friends that have been shot, one, who luckily was not injured and probably was intentional by an unhappy neighbor, the other lost an eye. I don't care if you are hunting with a shotgun, rifle, or canon, it should never happen. As with most motorcycle accidents, alcohol and/or drugs are involved with the poor judgement. Hope your friend recovers . He is lucky.

I got the rest of the story tonight.

First of all, he is out of the hospital and will be OK. They have not removed any pellets and probably won't. Most were stuck in his clothing. I guess it pays to be a cold blooded skinny guy with layers a clothes on a cool morning. Most of the shot hit his shoulder. One was in his neck which could of killed him if it hit the artery.

He was hunting public ground with a buddy and was shot by a stranger. The buddy happens to be a surgeon which also is fortunate when you get shot. The guy who shot him was a 50 something turkey hunter with a lifetime of experience. They had worked the same bird. Both guys are so good at calling, they thought there was a hen and not a hunter. I can vouch my friends calling. I have called in a killed a lot of birds but this guy IS a turkey. I'm embarrassed to call in front of him. Well anyway, they were sure another hen was just over the ridge and my guy was making a move and peeked over a ridge, then boom.

The shooter was a blubbering mess. He could not believe he had done something so stupid.

911 was called and he walked out of the woods. He says it was like being hit buy a truck.

He says the state of PA requires an orange hat when walking in the woods. You can remove it while sitting but must wear it while moving. If he had a hat, he doesn't get shot. He plans to work on getting that law passed here. He called my dad tonight to urge us to wear a hat from now on. I will add one to my vest.

Thanks for sharing the story Reagan. I hope many turkey hunters learn from this incident. Glad nobody was seriously injured or killed.

That definitely makes more sense now Reagan. Public land, strange hunter, same cranked up bird = perfect storm. I hunt too much public ground to not take this precaution, great suggestion that I will be following from now on!