Barn roof refurbishing

b116757

5 year old buck +
I’ve got 10 different old barns on two different farms five on each farm. We removed some black locust a couple months ago from next to one of them and that opened up the wind to the roof and now I’ve lost about 15% of the old tin roof panels on that barn already. Sunday my PTO solenoid had the wires torn out of it so that shut me down spraying brush. I called the boys over to that farm and we removed all the tin from one side of that barn. I ordered new 26 gauge steel this morning my supplier called me back at 3:00 this afternoon and said order is done already. I jumped in the truck and headed to Joplin after work and picked up the new roof this evening. Me and the boys moved lumber stacks around in my garage at the house with the forklift until I could get at some 1 1/4”x6” material I bought a while ago in preparation for some roofing fun on the old barns to be used as purlins. There is likely enough of that purlin material for three of the barns. I also had some large cottonwood logs milled into 1.5x3.5 material as additional purlins if needed and some of the newer built barns used commercial 2x4 purlins so we can use those to replace any bad ones we come across. Should be an interesting fall/winter project replacing a couple barn roofs and fetching up several others.

Have any pictures? I love barns but I've noticed the word barn can mean a lot of different things to different people so maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. Why 26-gauge steel instead of 29 gauge? I use both but 26 gauge is generally only used on the larger spans of steel frame structures here.

I do use 29 gauge for some projects and if the trusses were heavier they are just 16’ 2x4 on 24” centers and rather low pitch 3/12 maybe 4/12 so on this barn I opted for heavier gauge steel for some added strength it’s the same ag panel as standard 29 gauge so I can easily tie in with any 29 at any point down the road. This barn is 30’x37 foot dirt floor no power. I do think this maybe the one of the old barns on that farm I may fetch up to the point of shooting some concrete into it for a floor at some point.

You can see the barn we are currently working on in this photo and in the upper right side is likely the next one we will tackle. We where pulling the black locust trees over with the track loader that day. IMG_0036.jpeg

The blue boxes are the barns the larger yellow is what they called the bath house it’s about 8’x16’ vanity, toilet, shower and washer/drier connections with a hot water heater in the corner??? Idk is odd as hell. The other small yellow is small garden style shed. The red box is the old house that I will push over into the pasture and burn at some point. There are a couple nice trees to close to the old house to burn it where it is now standing. IMG_0182.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple paw paw we picked down along the creek just north of the old barns on that farm this evening.
IMG_0183.jpeg

We tried the paw paw last night I’ve got to say I don’t think to much of them not very good to me at least maybe some of the improved varieties are better but the wild ones on my place not so much. 🤮 I have an unbelievable number of them lining the stream banks for what is close to a 1/2 mile of creek bottom they are not terribly abundant in fruiting that I’ve seen in the last two years and based on our taste test yesterday not something I’d go out of my way to eat again. I’m sure there are critters that love them however. If you tear or rub the leaves it almost smells like green peppers or spicy hot peppers of some sort idk it’s a different smell for sure.

IMG_0188.jpeg

Started putting down new purlin material over the old the old purlins. This side should be pretty straight forward the other side of the roof had a couple sheets missing for some time and a couple of the trusses maybe need replaced on that side.

Those don't look like my papas,saving old barns is a good thing

New purlins and a couple sheets of tin down
IMG_0210.jpeg

One sideIMG_0213.jpegIMG_0214.jpeg done one to go

Other side about done

IMG_0218.jpeg