ASV 4810

nwmn

5 year old buck +
I know nothing about skid steers. I found one online for what I believe to be a decent deal. It's 100 hp, and has 450 hours on it. I'm only considering this since my dad hires out snow removal in winter, and we've got a few food plot/trail projects on the docket for this summer. We'd like to enhance and add trails and plots as well as create some smaller ponds near plots and a guy I've been in contact with hasn't gotten back to me with availability for his hydro ax. Is this just too much to get into, or does it make sense to save custom work expenses and gain a toy?

Not too serious on it, just saw it on craigslist today and we've always talked about how nice it would be. plus, we don't have a loader on our tractor.

It'd be a great toy! Trouble is you will probably run out of projects for it after about 5 days. Then u own it.

If u got the space to store, ability to fix and maintain, and the cash to pull it off, go for it. It's the attachments that will give it more duty.

Asv's are terrible on resale because the undercarriage is likely getting close to shot with those hours, and you're looking at a hefty bill to refurb it.

They have a great track and suspension option - Caterpillar buys them for their tracked machines. It's around 15k in parts if you need to replace it all.

Tracked machines pull dirt into every moving part every time you turn.

That's the trouble. I would like to get the projects done myself and feel like I saved money. On the other end, I am not an engineering mind. I feel it would be too cost intensive for maintenance since I wouldn't know how to fix things myself. There are just so many things I could use one for, including helping out friends with their work. But, it's probably an expense I don't need to make. I'd be better off renting a D6 for a week and getting it all done and using up vacation time.

Skidsteers can be rented for cheap too.

So true! I just rent one 2 or 3 times a year with whatever attachment I need and never have to maintain or repair it. It would take me 20 years of renting to justify owning one.

If you were going to bill out time and could put 30 hours a week on it, you'd be money ahead buying one.

My Ziegler book is at home, so I can't quote the list, but a 40 hour rental is around $600 for a 62hp machine.

I'm not a fan of skidsteers for the woods because of the low ground clearance.

They ride pretty rough on uneven ground too.

$200 a day for us to rent a tracked machine with the trailer. I think that's a great deal when you consider maintenance, insurance, etc.