New GC Plot Mix

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I was up early this morning and saw this. I have a lot of respect for Keith and the guys at GC. This seems like a really simple but well thought out blend, and it has logistical value in that you don't have to order in two whole bags of grains if you've got one small plot.

They built this one around installation challenges that many of us have. We've got to throw it on the ground and hope for the best. On my place, this would go the distance due to the order of preference timing. The radishes would go first, then the clover, then the oats, then the rye. They even sprang for the good clover and the good rye. That's how you keep a tiny plot in business for the whole season even when you're well understocked for the mouths you've got. For you northern cats, I might also pitch in some chicory and plantain for posterity and keep this blend going in perpetuity.

$189/acre (before shipping) seems crazy steep. I know it is intended for smaller plots, but that is still way off considering the bulk by weight is made up of rye.

$189/acre (before shipping) seems crazy steep. I know it is intended for smaller plots, but that is still way off considering the bulk by weight is made up of rye.

That does seem like a lot especially for seeds that aren't that difficult to source.

I've posted about this before - but if the auto adjust is used on GCS's smartmix calculator and you input the same 4 seeds from the hidey hole blend it spits out a way lower seed rate which aligns with how those rates have always seemed too low to me for a food plot that receives browse pressure.

hideyhole.png

Shipping is included in the price on that one. Any pre-mix is going to be expensive, and so is shipping cereal grains. If it were me, I'd make my own blends out of what I had on hand or could get locally. I still get augered on grains and I picked them up right at the wholesaler. I end up getting all my small seed components from GC and mixing them my own way.

I've gotta plant about a quarter acre this weekend, and I'm not even going to mess with trying to get seed from the wholesaler. I'm going to get a bag of feed oats and whip up the rest from my inventory of stuff. It'll actually be very similar to this blend above, but no rye, I'll add barley, and it'll get collards instead of radishes, as well as some flax, millet, and phacelia. I've got some phacelia to burn up.