Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

That's a cool idea Cat. Most of what we find is broken, so if it's something that could've been nice, we'll often just sketch what it might've been. Here's something I found while we were picking rocks this spring. I've probably held it more than anything we got this year. You can just tell it was something special. Chris drew what he thinks it was, a giant agate basin. I honestly have no clue. The guys on the treasure forum didn't say much, but a couple of them just called it flint celt. One guy said maybe a biface preform, to which Chris mumbled "those corners weren't made that nice just to be removed." What do you guys think?

20230522_101637.jpg20230522_114151.jpg20230522_145909.jpg

That's a cool idea Cat. Most of what we find is broken, so if it's something that could've been nice, we'll often just sketch what it might've been. Here's something I found while we were picking rocks this spring. I've probably held it more than anything we got this year. You can just tell it was something special. Chris drew what he thinks it was, a giant agate basin. I honestly have no clue. The guys on the treasure forum didn't say much, but a couple of them just called it flint celt. One guy said maybe a biface preform, to which Chris mumbled "those corners weren't made that nice just to be removed." What do you guys think?

View attachment 54066View attachment 54067View attachment 54068
Congrats on the Hardin! I agree with Chris, no use finishing the edges if your going to knock them off. It takes a lot of time to finish one to that degree. It was probably used as a knife or blade, Red Ochre and Wadlow are a couple other possibilities.

Very nice Mozark! Start with a clean Slate? Going to kill a deer with one?

I agree, no finished edges on a preform. Nice find!

Started with a slab similar to this one, don't have much raw obsidian left. I would like to harvest a deer with a stone point, the orchard plot is set up for that one purpose. One more year of planting and watering in the main orchard, then its game on.20230701_173003.jpg 20230701_172537_HDR.jpg

Found a beaut today near one of our better spots in the creek that runs through a couple of our hunting properties.

Took advantage of a 3 inch rain storm that moved some stones around in the creek bed. This piece probably came from this stratified layer of glacial outwash. One of the neatest things about learning about projectile points like this is gaining an appreciation for time scales. This washout is about 10 yards from where I found the point on the surface. It is about 8 feet below soil and sediment and was likely deposited there during the last glacial melt.
1688580803231.png

Nice! Can you circle in your pic where you think it probably came from? We have all kinds of spots that look like that unfortunately.

Mozark your lance is amazing. You and Tooln definitely make the best knives on this forum! The flaking on your lance is so nice.

Nice! Can you circle in your pic where you think it probably came from? We have all kinds of spots that look like that unfortunately.

Mozark your lance is amazing. You and Tooln definitely make the best knives on this forum! The flaking on your lance is so nice.
Thanks Mort! Im kind of in love with the clear handle Tooln made, maybe we can talk him into a joint venture for a give away.20230705_163538.jpg

It's hard to say where exactly it came from. It's pretty apparent this particular washout section is feeding a gravel bed just feet away from it (where I found the one above) because it is higher elevation than the rest of the stream. After the stream erodes away the bank, they will eventually be sorted by size or shape in rock beds. At least in our creek, you can almost predict when you'll find one because the rocks will be sorted by size and it seems like once you start finding rocks slightly bigger than the points that's when you are most likely to find them. I'll try and take a few photos next time I go out to show what I mean.

Here's an interesting one. My boy found it a couple of years ago. At first he thought it was broken, but I told him I thought it was made that way. We had a couple people look at it and they said it was a halved-shaft scraper. I tease him and call it his half-assed, ass scraper.

Attachments

• 20230709_084513.jpg
    20230709_084513.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 13
Nice! Looks like a bear claw.

Wounded buck that shed early? Doesn't look to be anything that is from last year judging by the lack of weathering.

Wounded buck that shed early? Doesn't look to be anything that is from last year judging by the lack of weathering.
it is a fresh shed, found on public land, who knows....I did spook out a lone deer nearby, didnt seem gimpy, no antlers.

Every year there are a few who shed in Dec, sometimes without apparent injury, but maybe they had extra stress from a hard rut or just being a nervous animal.

Winke said he has one shed this week

Last year during our late season I could've shot at 40 yards a 6.5 yr old history buck I really wanted. He was forever unkillable except on that night. He shed his rack in late Dec. This year a young girl shot him with a crossbow. It was her 1st deer, a 7.5 yr old buck. I've caught her dad trespassing on our farm multiple times. I truly hope they came to the good and honest side. I think his advanced age made him shed early last year.

Screenshot_20231221_163446_Gallery.jpg