Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
Let's see them.
These have all been found on our property in Northern Missouri in about the last 10 years or so. Most are found in a creek bed

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_144107728.jpg
    PXL_20220319_144107728.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 103
That's awesome. I've never found any. My dad found a rock in the field behind his house that was the size of a large potato. It was indented on one side like it had been used for a hammer or to grind something.

My company is working on a project where two rivers come together. It's in the archeology stage and they're finding some fascinating artifacts and they aren't all that deep yet.

That's a great collection. So cool. I think I found my first artifact last year. It looks like a tomahawk to me. I found it at work. It was in a real strange area where the soil looked like it was almost pulverized and not a rock or any other stones in the whole area. The parcel next to this one they did a archeological with a local college where they found a few cool things. A couple of them were round narrow stones with a point that they said they used to punch thru leather.

Attachments

• 0422221513.jpg
    0422221513.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 0422221513a.jpg
    0422221513a.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 56
  • 0422221513b.jpg
    0422221513b.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 61
Let's see them.
These have all been found on our property in Northern Missouri in about the last 10 years or so. Most are found in a creek bed.
Looks like you might have a couple pretty nice agate basins! Cool stuff. Do you find them scattered in the creek bed or concentrated? Under water? We've looked in our creek but haven't found any yet. Just field surface finds.

Looks like you might have a couple pretty nice agate basins! Cool stuff. Do you find them scattered in the creek bed or concentrated? Under water? We've looked in our creek but haven't found any yet. Just field surface finds.
Nearly all of the points are found in the creek in stratified creek beds of similar size/weight rocks. The rock beds move and get turned over with every rainfall event, so it's a constant hobby for my brothers and I throughout the year. We have found a few surface finds, but it is rare any of the soil is turned over. This creek is probably our biggest reason for tresspassers. People have been searching the creek for decades.

That's a great collection. So cool. I think I found my first artifact last year. It looks like a tomahawk to me. I found it at work. It was in a real strange area where the soil looked like it was almost pulverized and not a rock or any other stones in the whole area. The parcel next to this one they did a archeological with a local college where they found a few cool things. A couple of them were round narrow stones with a point that they said they used to punch thru leather.
I am super jealous. We have heard rumors of neighbors finding axe heads but have yet to find one ourselves. Great find!

I am super jealous. We have heard rumors of neighbors finding axe heads but have yet to find one ourselves. Great find!
I didn't see it but I guess another guy found a axe head on a different jobsite about 2 miles from mine. They told me the guy was walking back to his truck with the axe and he tripped and fell. Told the foreman he thought he broke his wrist and had to leave to go to the doctor. They never seen the guy again. The joke on the jobsite was the ax was cursed. Lol.

Here are a few we found in 21. Bethany had a good spring, finding the sweet blade and the snyders which wouldve been a slammer if not broken.

Screenshot_20220422-214126_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220422-214137_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220422-214100_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220422-214108_Gallery.jpg

Here are a few we found in 21. Bethany had a good spring, finding the sweet blade and the snyders which wouldve been a slammer if not broken.

View attachment 42515View attachment 42516View attachment 42517View attachment 42518
Those are incredible. It's making me feel like we should be out walking the neighbors' fields. I think those types of points are less likely to be found in a creek intact if and when they make it there.

I always thought it was the opposite! All the heartbreakers were in the fields and the perfect ones were in the creeks. In reality it's just mostly less than perfect ones everywhere. Do you know if your long ones toward the left are agate basins? My 10 yr old glanced at your pic and said sedalias. He probably knows way more than I do. You have a few adenas there too, which is 1 of my favorite types. Dad and grandpa found a few axes and celts years ago. I'll share a pic later.

I always thought it was the opposite! All the heartbreakers were in the fields and the perfect ones were in the creeks. In reality it's just mostly less than perfect ones everywhere. Do you know if your long ones toward the left are agate basins? My 10 yr old glanced at your pic and said sedalias. He probably knows way more than I do. You have a few adenas there too, which is 1 of my favorite types. Dad and grandpa found a few axes and celts years ago. I'll share a pic later.
Yeah, I think you are right about the less than perfect ones everywhere. For a point to stay perfect, it probably meant someone lost it in an animal that survived, or it was a clean miss. Regardless, someone didn't have good day when they lost it. It also means a plow or the current from a stream didn't break it up.

We think they would more than likely be sedalias, but we have not had a professional check them out yet. We are still trying to find the elusive axe or celt head. Also, I think it would be neat to find a few bird points, just because of the skill set involved with making them, and I would think they would be more likely to be intact.

Happy hunting!

Its maybe not that interesting to most... but I found an elk shed here in central Minnesota in a dried up slough bottom. There hasnt been elk here since the late 1800's. Its not a big one and ts in rough shape... but a interesting chunk of history I guess.

Its maybe not that interesting to most... but I found an elk shed here in central Minnesota in a dried up slough bottom. There hasnt been elk here since the late 1800's. Its not a big one and ts in rough shape... but a interesting chunk of history I guess.
That is really neat. It would be fascinating to get it carbon dated. Could be hundreds to thousands of years old if it was preserved well enough. There have been a few Irish elk pulled out from the bottom of a lake, and they have been extinct for hundreds of years.

I can't remember if it is the Bell Museum or the Science Museum of Minnesota, but they had an exhibit with pre-historic tools made from an elk antler. I couldn't believe the mass on the base. I've always wondered what the age classes of animals were like way back when. Presumably the herd was probably more balanced and on average many deer and elk lived to maturity. It's fun to think about how many world records bucks and bulls have lived and died.

I think all of us find that interesting. Do you have a pic. I know a guy snagged one in the Mississippi in MN a few years back. I just picked up my seed at elk mound seed NW WI. The town was named after a hill where they found all kinds of elk bones.

A big online auction of Native American artifacts coming up in my area for anyone interested:

I haven't found anything but a sand plant a couple miles from me find all kinds of prehistoric items and a couple of local girls found a grizzly skull a couple yeara ago in the river a couple miles from me in SC Kansas

That is really neat. It would be fascinating to get it carbon dated. Could be hundreds to thousands of years old if it was preserved well enough. There have been a few Irish elk pulled out from the bottom of a lake, and they have been extinct for hundreds of years.

I can't remember if it is the Bell Museum or the Science Museum of Minnesota, but they had an exhibit with pre-historic tools made from an elk antler. I couldn't believe the mass on the base. I've always wondered what the age classes of animals were like way back when. Presumably the herd was probably more balanced and on average many deer and elk lived to maturity. It's fun to think about how many world records bucks and bulls have lived and died.
Yes I was actually at the Science Museum with my kids a couple weeks ago and saw that! I couldnt help but notice the MASS on the Elk as well! It really does make you wonder what it wouldve looked like walking through the prairies back then.

I think all of us find that interesting. Do you have a pic. I know a guy snagged one in the Mississippi in MN a few years back. I just picked up my seed at elk mound seed NW WI. The town was named after a hill where they found all kinds of elk bones.
Ill get a picture of it. I also have an elk rack at home that my great uncle found in a dried up slough in Central Minnesota in the 1950s. Its petrified and weighs a ton but still in great shape after all those years. Its a big massive bull. Who knows how long it was in that pond? 75? 100 years? Maybe 1000 years? would be fun to know.22E3041F-DF75-48DC-8748-3B78C55157CA.jpeg
3E56BD17-6DF9-4F1F-BC04-6401C0F8CE9A.jpeg

Last edited:
Let's see them.
These have all been found on our property in Northern Missouri in about the last 10 years or so. Most are found in a creek bed
Beautiful collection Hoyt! I grew up in north central Mo, hunting fields with my dad and uncle, mostly in Chariton Co. Later I started hunting creeks closer to home in Livingston and Carrol county. Easily my top 20-30 best finds have came from creeks.