Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

Geez looking back I forgot to put a pic of Bethany's artifact from this year. She's got a sharp eye, but was the last to get on the board this year. She stayed after it and kept tagging along on work days and crop scouts til she scored. Those kids find more than I do. I think having your eyes 3 feet closer to the ground must help.

20230520_110021.jpg20230520_110139.jpg

Geez looking back I forgot to put a pic of Bethany's artifact from this year. She's got a sharp eye, but was the last to get on the board this year. She stayed after it and kept tagging along on work days and crop scouts til she scored. Those kids find more than I do. I think having your eyes 3 feet closer to the ground must help.

View attachment 60778View attachment 60779

3’ closer and a few years younger don’t hurt! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a friend who watched a buck shed both antlers a couple of weeks ago, and saw another that had shed both sides the same weekend. Very early for here. Said both bucks looked healthy as can be. I wonder if drought could have something to do with it. I've already read shed dates were mostly generic unless undue health problems were an issue.

That seems really early. Do they typically drop this time for you? I see buck with antlers well into February usually.
This is the earliest I've found a shed, usually jan/feb here. I found a set on christmas day years ago, the only other december sheds I can think of.

View attachment 60778View attachment 60779
Tell Bethany congrats on a good find. I started hunting with a neighbor when I first moved here. The first and most important thing he taught me was always carry and use a forked stick. Walk through the site and just flip pieces out, flip, flip, flip....it will absolutely save your back on sites like these.20231222_093443_HDR.jpg20231222_093801.jpg

I found what I think is an acorn fossil. Anybody ever find one of those?

I walked one of my known spots a week ago. Hardly anything was visible. Maybe some rain will get things to show up a little better.

Cool find Mortenson!

Mine are right beside the morrels, leprechauns, yetis, and all the other things I don’t actually believe exist. I have spent more time this year looking. I’ve had my wife and daughter out looking a couple times. I have no clue how y’all find these damn things. I’ve found one in 30 years of being afield. Which is actually one more than all the morrels I’ve found!

Mine are right beside the morrels, leprechauns, yetis, and all the other things I don’t actually believe exist. I have spent more time this year looking. I’ve had my wife and daughter out looking a couple times. I have no clue how y’all find these damn things. I’ve found one in 30 years of being afield. Which is actually one more than all the morrels I’ve found!
You don't find Leprechauns during the rut? We get overrun with the damn things. Stink like hell. I tried to trap them but they figured out how steal the bait without triggering the trap. Once I ran out of gold I went to just shooting them when I got the opportunity.

That's weird, I thought KY was arrowhead capital of the world. But I also thought it was wild turkey capital as well, and you said that's been a struggle for a while now too. They liked to camp near streams and rivers. Any of those nearby? If you have a creek on your farms, make a few passes with a moldboard plow!

That's weird, I thought KY was arrowhead capital of the world. But I also thought it was wild turkey capital as well, and you said that's been a struggle for a while now too. They liked to camp near streams and rivers. Any of those nearby? If you have a creek on your farms, make a few passes with a moldboard plow!
I have over 2.5 miles of prime creek bottom land. A pretty big creek that could easily handle canoes and the like. I have big bluff walls with overhangs just above the creek, several of them. Perfect hangout areas. Many feeder creeks and open fields. I’m missing something. I don’t know why I can’t find any! My wife has actually shown interest in looking but I know that will ween if we don’t eventually find something.

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    809.7 KB · Views: 25
That's awesome looking! I feel it would be highly unlikely humans didn't take shelter along those ledges. Mozark weigh in! Maybe do a little dig there.

This spring has been a dud so far. I have probably spent about 10-12 hours looking in creeks or in cultivated fields and have only found a few partials.

Mort,
do you have photos of all of your findings? It seems like you guys are amassing quite the collection!

Thanks Hoyt. We don't find a ton. Probably just seems like it because I post it all here, haha. I'm having a good day... ran down to the timber quick to pull a blind out of the field. Told the boys if they helped me we could search for 5 minutes. I wish one of the younger two would've found this.

20240422_152521.jpg20240422_153110.jpg

So that was just laying on top of the dirt?

This one was practically teed up and I watched three little boys walk past it. Not sure if it has a type, but I think it's probably a legit broadhead.

20240427_123742.jpg