Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

Dang cat looks like you have good area,I have never found any over here but do know a few that have.I knew a guy that knapped a whole collection then traded them for a house.Theres a guy still here that chips his own and some neat things out of what looks like that pink colored rock

Dang cat looks like you have good area,I have never found any over here but do know a few that have.I knew a guy that knapped a whole collection then traded them for a house.Theres a guy still here that chips his own and some neat things out of what looks like that pink colored rock

We do have a good spot. Blessed to have access to a hotspot.

Traded for a house? Wow! I've thought about knapping my own to hunt with. Think it would be cool to build your own stuff, then kill something with it.

Found this last year. I’ve never seen a naturally round stone here It’s granite I think, perfectly round about the size of a small cantaloupe.
Grinding stone or something?

IMG_5431.jpeg

I found this piece last night. The first I've found on my hunting property.

Attachments

• 20230619_200936.jpg
    20230619_200936.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Clipped_image_20230619_205433.png
    Clipped_image_20230619_205433.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 20
I know a guy could kill something with the ones a guy I know knapps,they are sharp.There was a good podcast on gamekeepers a couple weeks ago.We found a stone head in New Mexico 10 years ago while hunting and the guy I was with sent it somewhere to be looked at and it was from tribes before the last native americans. Only broadhead I ever found was on an old aluminum arrow someone had lost.

I know a guy could kill something with the ones a guy I know knapps,they are sharp.There was a good podcast on gamekeepers a couple weeks ago.We found a stone head in New Mexico 10 years ago while hunting and the guy I was with sent it somewhere to be looked at and it was from tribes before the last native americans. Only broadhead I ever found was on an old aluminum arrow someone had lost.

Been researching and asking questions. Very interesting stuff! We're finding artifacts on the same site that cover over 10,000 yrs time span. Apparently good camp sites are always good camp sites and appeal to anyone that happens upon them. The oldest stone is likely the Clovis people. But just steps away we've found a point that is likely only 1000yrs old.

Mozark has shown a point or 2 on here he made that are nasty deadly looking.

You guys are finding some really nice stuff.

Been researching and asking questions. Very interesting stuff! We're finding artifacts on the same site that cover over 10,000 yrs time span. Apparently good camp sites are always good camp sites and appeal to anyone that happens upon them. The oldest stone is likely the Clovis people. But just steps away we've found a point that is likely only 1000yrs old.
What's the site like? Is it obvious what makes this a good spot? I assume it's close to running water?
I'm extremely jealous!

I'm still a novice but from what I've picked up on so far is running water with high spots near it are where to look.
We find a lot on the red dots. You can see that a creek and a tall bluff intersect at the top of the map, and there is a wedge of bottom ground between. Rises and humps in the bottom ground are where we find them. I've started using a topo-map to find new spots. Cuts way down on walk time. The guys on the artifact forums tell me the creek should be a great spot to look, but I've fished, swam, camped, and looked in that creek for 20 yrs and have only found 1 point.

To sum it up;
1 - Use a topo map to find humps near water (they can easily be seen too)
2 - Walk those humps and look for debitage. Once we find chips we slow down and look closer.
3 - Return and look again. We've found several that were right by where we've (or others) have walked before.
4 - The window seems to be short. After discing and before crops get tall is about the only time to look. If you can get a good rain after working the ground they're easier to see.

Don't put a lot of stock into what I'm saying. This has worked for us, but this is my first year so I'm a complete novice.

Screenshot_20230621_072859_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Good explanation Cat! Our experiences are nearly the same. We tried sifting a gravel bar in our creek again last week and came up empty handed. Still haven't found the right spot apparently.

20230613_130918.jpg

I'm still a novice but from what I've picked up on so far is running water with high spots near it are where to look.
We find a lot on the red dots. You can see that a creek and a tall bluff intersect at the top of the map, and there is a wedge of bottom ground between. Rises and humps in the bottom ground are where we find them. I've started using a topo-map to find new spots. Cuts way down on walk time. The guys on the artifact forums tell me the creek should be a great spot to look, but I've fished, swam, camped, and looked in that creek for 20 yrs and have only found 1 point.

To sum it up;
1 - Use a topo map to find humps near water (they can easily be seen too)
2 - Walk those humps and look for debitage. Once we find chips we slow down and look closer.
3 - Return and look again. We've found several that were right by where we've (or others) have walked before.
4 - The window seems to be short. After discing and before crops get tall is about the only time to look. If you can get a good rain after working the ground they're easier to see.

Don't put a lot of stock into what I'm saying. This has worked for us, but this is my first year so I'm a complete novice.

View attachment 53725
So those are humps in a bottom field? Or are those higher yet?

I guess I am asking if those would have ever flooded? Or are they high enough they would have never been under water?

Good explanation Cat! Our experiences are nearly the same. We tried sifting a gravel bar in our creek again last week and came up empty handed. Still haven't found the right spot apparently.

View attachment 53727
I haven't sifted yet... I have a plan for this winter after the crops are out. Might do some digging!

Looks like you and the boys are enjoying life!

So those are humps in a bottom field? Or are those higher yet?

I guess I am asking if those would have ever flooded? Or are they high enough they would have never been under water?

The "humps" are the tallest spots in the bottom fields. I guess they liked to camp near water, but didn't want flooded out every time it rained.

Our season is pretty much over. Came across a few nice artifacts but never got a driving rain after planting to make for good hunting. Happy with what we found even though it could've potentially been better. I got lucky on this potential Hardin(???) while checking emergence at the hunting farm. Chris ranks it as my 4th best artifact.

Very nice Mortenson!

Tinkered with completing or repairing a couple of points. No intention of painting or doing anything to make them look real, just wanted an idea of what they may have looked like originally.

Screenshot_20230629_100206_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230629_100232_Gallery.jpg