All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you happy you added a cabin to your property?

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
I've been debating for a few years about adding a small cabin to the property. Have you enjoyed yours? I don't need nothing fancy, sometimes lately I've been wanting a place to go to that ain't at home where I can get some peace. I think a small place to rest my head would be nice, and it would make working on the land really enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a cabin yet but plan too!
I'm with you, just wanting somewhere to get away from everything.
I'm thinking two bedroom half bath and half loft with a full porch so we can maybe do Christmas and holidays with family there and the kids could use it too. When I'm deer hunting I could go get warmed up make lunch and take a proper nap!

We had our land for about 5 years and always rented a cabin near by to stay in. Got sick of that and built a cabin and we couldn't be happier! It's not huge, but has a big bunk room, one small bedroom, one bathroom and a kitchen and a lounge room all in one. Now we spend way more time at the farm. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I had just moved a 32' camper there, it worked good enough. Now I am planning on building a house there, and I am glad I just put a camper there, rather then building a cabin.

I would like one but the break ins would be a killer. It happens in our area all the time.

I purchased land that already had a small cabin. I also looked at property that did not and turned some of it down since the build site was not what I had in mind. I wanted a place to stay. It's small, which I like, but has all the major requirements covered. If you're thinking about, go ahead and do it. You will likely use it more and increase the value.
One thing I would have done had I built it myself is put more thought into additions. As mine sits right now I'd have to put up a whole new roof to add the living room I'd like to build.
I have owned it for 7 years and have been broken into once. Break ins are always a concern no matter cabin or home. I leave nothing of any value there to me. Fortunately my trespasser just hung out and ate a bunch of food, and smoked in the place. He was caught btw..

It's been great addition but I decided to build and furnish a little at a time based on priorities and 4 years in it's got all the creature comforts of home. 1st was to simply get a roof over my head and a place to store equipment...at that time I was sleeping on an air mattress. Today it's a fully furnished 3 bedroom 1-1/2 bathroom getaway where I've stayed weeks at a time without having to go back into town. Last summer I added a washer/dryer to take care of all the sweaty clothes during the summer and hunting gear in the fall.

It's been a real blessing.

Having a cabin makes owning land much more enjoyable. The first 6 years any time we went to our cabin we slept in the back of the truck or a crappy motel in town and we built a cabin 3 or 4 years ago. It's much more enjoyable to have a place to sleep right there rather than drive back and forth to the land.

I think any cabin will be broken into at some point, but we have not had any issues so far. We just never leave anything valuable in the cabin. We have lots of windows in the cabin, so it would be easy for anyone to see exactly what is in there and know it's really not worth too much.

I enjoy mine. I built it about 20 years ago. About 6 years ago I had it moved to the other side of the property. Now I am considering adding on to it. Last summer I added a off-grid shower to it and the year before I built a 12x 24 shed. Both additions have been great.

We love ours. Inside is only 20'x14' with a 6' porch under roof. Separate shower room with shower stall and battery/propane shower. Also separate bathroom.

Cabin is wired for generator with heat and A/C. Very convenient and makes staying there more enjoyable. Purchased adult full size bunk beds and put good mattresses on them. Very comfortable. Nothing of value kept inside. We use Home Depot locking metal tool bins outside the cabin.

Highly recommend it. Best wishes!

I would like one just so I could go drink a beer and sit by the fire but since it's 8 minutes from the house it's not really camping out

We have a camper. It's not that big, but has a shower, stove, fridge, and air conditioning that comes in handy in the summer months. I have county water on the place and bring my generator to power the camper.
I enjoy it quite a lot.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I put a trailer house at mine. One break in, the two went to jail. They were ordered to pay restitution and I actually got it. Also got stolen items back.

I put a trailer house at mine. One break in, the two went to jail. They were ordered to pay restitution and I actually got it. Also got stolen items back.
That's incredible! I've been broken into once. They took my radio, paper towels, toilet paper, coffee cups, and used toothbrush. Left two cast iron skillets.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

No way to truly judge effectiveness but these stickers are cheap (ebay) and certainly don't hurt.
s-l225.jpg

I put a 1970 14'x52' Liberty mobile home on my land. It has all the amenities of home and I love it. Electric, water, toilet, kitchen, heat, etc. The local assessor put a $1K assessed value on it, which suits me just fine. I did this within a few months of buying my property and could not be happier. I have a place to stay overnight if I so desire. It is the meeting place for anyone coming to my land. I put in my pond 75 yards from the mobile home so I could sit in the living room and watch the pond. When I am done with my work on the farm for the day, I sometimes just sit on the porch or in the living room and relax. It is a 1 1/2 hour drive one way to my land.
I also believe these improvements; well, electric, septic will be selling points when it is time for the land to have a new care taker.

Last edited:
I would like one just so I could go drink a beer and sit by the fire but since it's 8 minutes from the house it's not really camping out
8 minutes is that your backyard or do you just walk down the street

I do not have a cabin on the place I am sole owner on, and its 1.5 hour drive away. But its only 20 minutes from a duck club cabin I am in with 5 others and 25 minutes to my 82 yo mom's house. So I have places to stay. Still, I may build a shouse someday. Lots of pluses, but one major drawback its another place to maintain. Always maintenance work to do - mow the yard, fix a leak, clean, etc etc.

I had a cabin for years. So many break ins that you could not count them. then they burned it down.

It was good to not have a cabin for a few years as life got busy.

Now I am contemplating what to do next.

Anyone care to share pics? Looking to build something small in the near future.