Anyone know what this little shrub/tree is?

Bill

Administrator
It grows pretty hardy in fallow spots in MO. It has a woody stem and grows new foiledge every summer. Doesn't get very tall and seems somewhat gly resistant but I haven't dosed it twice.

I've never had it show up in a plot. Just curious.

image.png image.png

Hard to tell from the pic. It kind of looks like sericea lespedeza but the leaves look a bit different in you pic. I doubt that is it because I presume you would recognize sericea. Here is a link anyway: https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/sericea-lespedeza-control

Sericea also seems to grow more as individual pants than in clumps like in the pic you posted.

Thanks,

Jack

No I never really looked into sericea before. I have read its aggressive and invasive. It sure looks like that when I search it for images.

Those pics are from a piece of property I lease though there is some on my place. I just don't see it competing with nature at my place and certainly not aggressively. One field I had some in is now mostly blackberry, locust and cedar. Some folks don't like those but this little shrub didn't choke those out.

I'll have to look closer.

Thanks

Pretty sure that's what it is. I have quite a lot on the 80.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If that is it, I have it on my place. It is a non-native invasive but it doesn't seem to be any more invasive than Japanese stiltgrass or honeysuckle. It has no real wildlife value. It seems to be able to survive on very poor soil better than native plants. It may be that on richer soil it has less advantage.

Thanks,

Jack

Remedy fast!

Sericia lespedeza...get a handle on it sooner rather than later. Spray it, don't let it go to seed, and keep your eyes peeled elsewhere on your place for it popping up. I take a lap around the farm every year and spot spray with glyphosate.

Last edited:
I hate when you find something "interesting" that you are not sure what it is and them you ask and it turns out to be something "bad"! I think I have about a 10% chance of finding "new stuff" that is good and the rest is all like I found some sort of new habitat cancer!!!! Just be glad it isn't wide spread.

Sericia lespedeza...get a handle on it sooner rather than later. Spray it, don't let it go to seed, and keep your eyes peeled elsewhere on your place for it popping up. I take a lap around the farm every year and spot spray with glyphosate.
I hate when you find something "interesting" that you are not sure what it is and them you ask and it turns out to be something "bad"! I think I have about a 10% chance of finding "new stuff" that is good and the rest is all like I found some sort of new habitat cancer!!!! Just be glad it isn't wide spread.

Not much on my place, most is in a single fallow field. Quick trip with the spot sprayer every summer and I should be able to keep it in check. I like using blue dye for things like this. I know who I killed and who I missed.

Not much on my place, most is in a single fallow field. Quick trip with the spot sprayer every summer and I should be able to keep it in check. I like using blue dye for things like this. I know who I killed and who I missed.
What sort of coloring agent and how much do you use? I have an issue in larger areas being able to ensure I sprayed the entire thing with minimal overlap. I have considered dyes, but never looked into it too far.

You sir have the SL. Glyphosate burn it down but many will come back from the crown. Remedy or Pasturegard. It can form a monoculture if left alone.

What sort of coloring agent and how much do you use? I have an issue in larger areas being able to ensure I sprayed the entire thing with minimal overlap. I have considered dyes, but never looked into it too far.

I use dye in my redneck foamer. I wonder if I could add it to the chemical mix? Never thought of that before. It doesn't take much dye to make a LOT of color.

I use dye in my redneck foamer. I wonder if I could add it to the chemical mix? Never thought of that before. It doesn't take much dye to make a LOT of color.

I use dye from Orshlens farm store or tractor supply. Something like this. But let me warn you, don't get the concentrate on your hands or under your fingernails. You'll have smurf hands for quite some time.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dynamark-blue-spray-indicator-1-qt

I tried it to mark boom spraying but I just couldn't see the blue against the green of beans ect. It seems to show up better spot spraying because I always tend to over spray when spot spraying. I did build a small former for my small sprayer last trip. That really works.

I did build a small former for my small sprayer last trip. That really works.

The dye I have is red - not sure if that would be easier to see or not. I'll have to give it a try.

I still have red (looks pink) on my right hand right now. We sprayed a little earlier in the week. Should be gone in another week or so :emoji_astonished:

I need to do a post on my redneck sprayer (like we used to have on the old forum). Mine is finally working great. Makes spraying a LOT easier.

-John

Yep it's S.L. I have some pretty aggressive patches in my CRP. I was at the farm July 4, and sprayed a bunch with GLY, was there today, it's toast. Killed a bunch last year with GLY too. Mine has shown no resistance to GLY, as of yet.

I've been using Terramark (blue) for several years. For spot spraying, it's excellent. For general, area- spraying it's still pretty good but you do have to look close to see it on leaves and grass. I had some freebie herbicide given to me last year that had red dye already added. I don't think the red showed up any better than the blue did.
Even if you don't like dye for seeing where you sprayed, you should still add it to an herbicide mix in order to get a thorough cleaning when you flush the sprayer tank, hoses, booms, wand, etc. As long as I can still see blue in the rinse water when I'm cleaning the sprayer, I know that there's still herbicide present.
This is most important when different herbicides are used to guard against spraying residue from left-over herbicide from prior uses that could injure or kill non-target species.
And the dye is not permanent. It goes away after a short time and launders out of clothes. I've spilled drops on my concrete driveway and after a week or so, there's no trace of dye. The stuff is potent, though. A gallon goes a long way.
My buddy tried some for the 1st time this year. He opened the jug and then it slipped out of his hand and fell straight down and dye shot straight up and all over him :emoji_astonished: He looked like one of the "Blue Men"!:emoji_ghost::emoji_joy: He ain't blue anymore, it eventually washes off.
Keystone Pest now sells this dye...
https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...id=270&zenid=a2199224229416c5ffe13692a993ce28

Last edited:
FWIW my place was almost solid sericea. So think it picked the ATV off the ground trying to spray it. I’ve been hitting it hard twice a year but due to my property location I’ll always fight it.
KSRE has done a lot of research and late summer growing season burns are showing a ton of promise. I am going to try a late season burn on half my property this year and see what happens.