Firminator ATV Model Review

Steve Bartylla

5 year old buck +
As several asked when I mentioned the Firminator a couple months back, here's my review. The reason for the delay is that I wanted to have a chance to really put it through its paces, before reporting on it, both in fairness to the product and to those reading this review. Just keep in mind that I don't do product reviews. So, this may be a bit disjointed.

Cons:
It is a bit jerky when dragging it to and from the planting sites. If you go flying down trails towing it at 25 mph, you're going to get jerked around. When towing a 800+ lbs piece of equipment, that should be expected. Honestly, I'm just trying to come up with some cons. I don't have many and it seems like a review should have some cons.

This next one also should be expected. You aren't pulling this thing with a toy ATV. Again, this is 800+ lbs and you can set it so the discs are biting hard. That takes some power to pull when discing. I used a 750, but I believe anything over a 450 would work, maybe even a 400. The catch isn't having the horse power. I found it's really more getting the traction to pull it. Discing uphill on a steep grade in damp conditions isn't going to work very well, but would anyone expect it too?

Finally, it takes some playing around with all the settings to find the sweet spots for turning and packing dirt, in specific conditions. I'll be listing all the adjustments as a strength, as they truly are. Still, the first time I used it, it took about 10-15 mins to get it dialed into the sweet spot. Once I got a feel for it, I cut that down to less than 5 mins on each new area.

Pros:
This is a serious piece of equipment. Frankly, I never would have believed I'd write or say something like this, but I found it to actually work better than a small tractor and traditional implement combo. No doubt you are having problems believing that, as I sure would have myself. The series of images below show what I mean. Outside of spraying the thick 3-4' tall cereal rye, I exclusively used the Firminator to transform that plot into a thriving Red Zone (Antler King's soybean, sunflower and pea blend) plot. The last pics are about 4 weeks after planting. I didn't mow, rake or anything more than use the Firminator to turn the dirt. If anyone has ever tried doing that with a small tractor and 10' disc or, God help them, another ATV implement, you know how impressive that is. In fact, I purposefully did the plot in the pics below this way to see if it could accomplish that feat. I didn't expect it to succeed, but the seed bed was created and seeded in 4 total passes, including 1 for seeding and packing.

The potential adjustments are many and provide great flexibility. The threaded adjustment shaft allows for one to easily transfer weight between the cultipacker and discs. So, you can disc exclusively, pack exclusively or hit nearly any balance of doing both at the same time one could want, all just by adjusting the shaft. You can even cheat and set the transport tire height to be sure you don't disc deeper than one wants to. There are 3 different connection point for that shaft that will allow even further extremes in the adjustment between the disc and cultipacker. I'll be honest. I left it set on the middle and saw no need to hit the extremes, but they're there if needed.

There are 3 aggression settings for the row of farm grade discs. A 5 year old can do it near effortlessly, simply by pulling the pins, surprisingly easily shifting the discs and reinserting the pin.

The seed meter only releases seed when it is engaged, allowing one to keep the opening as is during trips between plots (not a world changer, but nice) and it's very easy to adjust down to an 1/8th of an inch and can even be dialed in further.

The opening for the seed dispenser allowed me to plant small seeds, such as clover and brassicas, as well as oats, cereal rye and even a combo of switch, big blue and indian grass, with using the cat littler trick to get the seeds to dispense (the unit I have doesn't have the optional seed agitator, but they do offer it as an optional accessory, but I don't feel it's required). That may not sound like a big deal, but a pet peeve of mine are seeders that don't open up enough to allow 100-200 lbs per acre of large seed to be spread in 1 pass. This does.

I even used it as a poor man's no till drill. By setting the discs straight and sinking them about an inch down, I planted several bean plots by simply spraying and running the Firminator over it, creating grooves in the soil, dropping seed and cultipacking, in one pass. No, this is NOT a disc, seed and pack in 1 pass food plot implement for creating traditional food plots, and they'll be the first to tell you. On traditional plots, one will need to make 1-3 passes to break the soil (the number dependent on ground/weed conditions....I did most in 2 passes to create an acceptable seed bed) and 1 to plant & give it the final cultipacking (the last soil breaking pass, you want to be cultipacking as well, to create the firmer seed bed, before seeding small seeds). Still, it does work as a poor man's no-till in one pass. No. it is not as good as a true no-till, but it worked acceptably well for me. Just realize that some seeds won't be dropped in the disc grooves and sealed with the cultipacker.. I just upped the seed rate to 125% of what I would have used with a true no-till.

Long and short of it, they are sponsoring my Grow `em Big show and gave me their biggest tractor and ATV versions to use this summer. When they ask for them back at the end of the year, I'll be buying both, myself. The ATV implement is flat out the best I've ever used.....not even close.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Tell us the prices, and I will give you one more Pro or Con.

I can not find a price anywhere on the internet. Usually means a $10,000 bill or more. Would love to hear it is a lot less.

Tell us the prices, and I will give you one more Pro or Con.

I can not find a price anywhere on the internet. Usually means a $10,000 bill or more. Would love to hear it is a lot less.

I'll try to get a price from them, though I can't promise they'll give me one for public posting. Don't hold me to this, but I think it's about half that. I'd be very surprised if it was much if anything less than 5K. There's nothing cheap about the construction at all, and it's made in the US, which both typically means there's nothing cheap about the price, either. In ATV implements, as well as many other things, you tend to get what you pay for, IF you are lucky and it works at all worth a darn.

I can tell you this much, before using this all summer, I'd have been one of the first to suggest buying a small tractor and small tractor implements. That said, if it comes back at over 10K, well, there are limits to how much one can justify spending on food plots, even if they sort of do it for a living.

I'll take a WAG at the price of $6500.

Looks like a good rig.

I however have 3 daughters and I know all to well the Gnomeo & Juliet movie....

terrafirminator.jpg

I'll take a WAG at the price of $6500.

That would be on the very low end of my guess. Might be sellable at that price up here. I look at there web site and pics. It looks plenty heavy duty, but when they say call for price and won't list it.....Oh Boy!

How cool would it be to pull that thing with a $3500 tractor? Is really gave some kickin spots.

I just got off the phone with them and the owner's desire is to have potential buyers call for a price quote, as that gives them a chance to explain the product. I'll just say this and leave it at that. Tooln is over by a significant amount and I didn't ask if they had wiggle room in the price they told me they sell for. It may be a negotiator could do even better still.

I'll just say this and shut up about the price...You can buy a new one, direct, for that price...I do not know if that would or wouldn't include shipping, though.

(Edit: for the price Tom found it on Ebay, that is)

P.S. I'd like to believe I'll be able to get it cheaper than $5500, as the one I have is used (sure, it was used by me, but that's not the point ;) ). That said, if they try to get me to pay $5500, I'm taking it...not suggesting anyone else does or doesn't. After using it for the year and being able to turn standing cereal rye into dirt in 3 passes (4 with seeding), it's worth it to me. Is it worth it for someone planting a half acre plot a year???? I don't do a half acre, so that's their choice. If someone has large farm equipment, the ATV version isn't going to make sense, either. Now, I have to shut up about price or I'll get myself in trouble (I'm pushing it already).

I don't think it's right for everyone out there, but it's more than satisfied a demanding niche for me and I'm not giving it back.

The one Tom found on ebay is the 6' tractor model with accesorries, not the base ATV model. I'm guessing the ATV base model comes in at about $4,800.

A guy on a michigan forum called and was quoted $4990 for the 4ft atv model. Too rich for me on an atv implement, especially since I just started this no till plan on my sand hill.

I do spend $ like that and my wife just shits new couches and love seats when I come home with my new stuff!:mad:

So your saying your wife is more of the "don't get mad......get even" type! Mine doesn't need a reason - but I sure try to avoid giving her one!!!!

Let's just face it.....I also am just WAY too cheap! I don't pull the ply apart when it come to toilet paper however - you got'a know where to "splurge"!!!

The most I have plunked down at a single time in recent memory was for my deer mounts - but those shouldn't count - they decorate the living room for everyone to share!:D

So your saying your wife is more of the "don't get mad......get even" type! Mine doesn't need a reason - but I sure try to avoid giving her one!!!!

Let's just face it.....I also am just WAY too cheap! I don't pull the ply apart when it come to toilet paper however - you got'a know where to "splurge"!!!

The most I have plunked down at a single time in recent memory was for my deer mounts - but those shouldn't count - they decorate the living room for everyone to share!:D

Don't get me wrong, I spend money, but would never pay five grand on something I can get the job done with $500 worth of equipment.

And the wife never gets mad or gets even, but she sure seems to know when I bring something new home!

A guy on a michigan forum called and was quoted $4990 for the 4ft atv model. Too rich for me on an atv implement, especially since I just started this no till plan on my sand hill.

I don't see it as being a good fit for everyone, in every situation. Like any other potential purchase, some will think it's too rich, some won't.

I was just really impressed and Whip and a couple others asked me to review it a couple months ago. So, I obliged. I probably wouldn't have if I didn't like it, but I wouldn't have used it on the show if I felt that way, either. I'd lost hope in ever finding an ATV implement I wouldn't be bitterly disappointed in and am actually excited that I've found one that I'll be using the snot out of for many years to come. You guys are about the only ones out there that might get how anyone could be excited about a tool that turns dirt, particularly in areas that a tractor can't reach well or at all.

I don't see it as being a good fit for everyone, in every situation. Like any other potential purchase, some will think it's too rich, some won't.

I was just really impressed and Whip and a couple others asked me to review it a couple months ago. So, I obliged. I probably wouldn't have if I didn't like it, but I wouldn't have used it on the show if I felt that way, either. I'd lost hope in ever finding an ATV implement I wouldn't be bitterly disappointed in and am actually excited that I've found one that I'll be using the snot out of for many years to come. You guys are about the only ones out there that might get how anyone could be excited about a tool that turns dirt, particularly in areas that a tractor can't reach well or at all.

You can always trust Steve for an honest opinion, sponsor or not being involved. Thanks!

You can always trust Steve for an honest opinion, sponsor or not being involved. Thanks!

Steve will be one of the reasons they sell any. People trust his honesty and opinion.

Last edited: