Anyone have luck growing in a clearing in woods

Charman03

5 year old buck +
I opened up a clearing in the woods and cut some trees to get decent sunlight in here. I planted a liberty and gold rush because I got a good deal locally for them. I'm thinking these trees may not be the best option for back here. Any advice on what "deer" apples to plant. Has anyone had success in a clearing such as this? I'm thinking about putting some crabs here.
0FAF958C-9053-47A6-A26E-2526A2F8E00E_zpspwptuzbz.jpg

I don't know about the tree question, but get that ground covered in some type of perennial white clover. In Zone 6b, Jumbo Ladino will be your friend.

NH MTs....:confused:? You drunk?:D

Look at Charman's avatar photo. That's a great haul of fur.

When I saw your first post, I scrolled back up looking for a fox in trees, then i saw the avatar picture.

Last edited:
Ah, wasn't paying any attention to that! :oops: That post seemed like a little drunken forum posting or something of that nature, but yes great haul is correct! Back when I did a little trapping on the side, fox was my main quarry just because it was the highest dollar pelt that didn't require water sets. I never got many, and since I think they are a very cool animal, I always felt kind of bad about removing them from the landscape. Their two larger cousins, no such remorse from this guy!:mad:

Thanks for everyone's replies. The trees are on the northern edge of the clearing. I cut a bunch of sunlight lanes to the south and west. It gets decent from the south east. Actually gets good afternoon sunlight now that I cut a bunch to the north and west.

I will be planting ladino and some winter rye around there near Labor Day.

My trap line is just a small local line I run before work everyday. Not much time to trap but do what I can. We have a decent fox and coon population here and the occasional coyote.

I've had success with apples AND crabs in some clearings at camp. Like NH Mtns. said above - get as much sunlight on them as possible. I followed what some of the guys on this forum said about cutting trees down on the south, east, and west sides a few years ago. It WORKS !!! We have a couple old apple trees in some pines that weren't making apples any more. Once we opened them up ........ they're loaded with apples again !! Just sunlight and some lime. I learned from several of these guys on here. ;)

Nothing new to add, just remember how important sunlight is. Over the years I've learned that lesson the hard way:(.

What's a good crab for this clearing that also pollinates well for the gold rush and liberty

What's a good crab for this clearing that also pollinates well for the gold rush and liberty

Chestnut crab is a good early to mid season bloom pollinator. However, Goldrush is considered in the late bloom catergory (at least according to ACN). So you will need a later blooming crabapple. Most of the late bloom crabapples tend to have fruit 1/2" or smaller, which isnt all bad if you have turkeys or grouse to feed. Liberty and Goldrush are not good pollinators for each other.

Apples are fine....but a short feeding tme.....IMO. Go for some clover or other foods to get and keep does and fawns the year around. I get good clover to grow in the semi sunlight.
another trail - 1st avenue.jpg

I'm considering removing that gold rush next spring and moving to a better location and adding two crabs spaced out in its location. The liberty did much better back there than the gold rush did. Definitely planting some clover.

Would it hurt to move the gold rush this fall?

Not if you plant the right trees ;) In about 5 years I should have apples dropping from August until spring

Yep.....and what do those fawns have to eat in the Spring and Summer when they NEED it? Just saying.....having some green available to the does and fawns keeps them bedding on YOUR land.

I agree. We just have our clover planted in plots right next to the apple / crab locations. We have several white clovers and several red clovers - that way something is always available even if one type poops out. Also chicory for the dry periods !!

Dang you guys. I'm getting too old and tired to want to plant an apple orchard. I just wanna play some golf.....and go easy on the big projects. ;) I've already made up my mind.....dont try to confuse me with your facts! ;)

Apples are a struggle on the soil up at Foggy's and further north.

Smith Property Management did give me some advice a week ago. Get more sunlight to the trees!

Be sure and pick zone 3 trees.

Studies and negotiations are in progress at Apples at Sandburs Specialization Organization (ASS -O) and SPM. Rain Dance is a special division of ASS-O. Talk about BS.......;)

Hey you could hire out Smith Property Management to care for your new orchard. :)
He could trade some "dance" lessons for the apple work!:eek:

Apples are a struggle on the soil up at Foggy's and further north.

Smith Property Management did give me some advice a week ago. Get more sunlight to the trees!

Be sure and pick zone 3 trees.

Studies and negotiations are in progress at Apples at Sandburs Specialization Organization (ASS -O) and SPM. Rain Dance is a special division of ASS-O. Talk about BS.......;)

So......your trying to tell me if I hire SPAM and an ASS-O from over near Buckman.....their BS would provide some apples if I do a RD? Makes perfect sense when you put it that way. (your too much Art :) )