Anyone have luck growing in a clearing in woods

BS is fertilizer!

I like planting perennial plots with my fruit trees as it just seems like a way to get the most habitat value for the land available. It's a pain to mow around them but if you have limited areas available to you for plotting i like this option.

After I bought my property, I put in about 10 small plots throughout. The northern portions of all of these plots have apples/pears, both seedling and grafted. We planted them the same way as my yard trees, and I would say, on average, after 4 1/2 years, they are about half the size. 2 winters ago, I started doing some extensive tree cutting to get them more light. I know it has been said above, but after you look around in the winter, thinking you've cut enough, cut a bunch more. I have also turned a couple of my open plots into orchards with legumes for ground cover.

I like planting perennial plots with my fruit trees as it just seems like a way to get the most habitat value for the land available. It's a pain to mow around them but if you have limited areas available to you for plotting i like this option.

Yes, this. 2 years ago, this was just an Alpharack plot. In 3 more years, it will be an Alpharack plot from March-November, and an apple plot from July-March.