Another Milo question

Nova

5 year old buck +
Do you guys have issue with tree rats(squirrel and coons) getting at the Milo during summer and early fall? This is one of my biggest problems with corn, tree rats eat and destroy so much of it before fall even gets here. Deer don't seem to touch it much at all until mid October, but the tree rats are on it all summer. I am hoping they won't touch Milo...

No, never noticed that. The song birds, quail, etc are in it thick in the fall/winter.

I never had anything mess with it until it hits the doughy stage, then it's gone in a week.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep! Big rat English rats! I planted along side my apple orchard once. WOnt do that again. Rats chewed on a few fruit trees!

Never had an issue. Blackbirds on the other hand...

True dat ^^. One year when I had some milo that had matured "early", like in early September...the migrating blackbirds mauled it. I don't know if an actual pheasant or quail was able to eat even one milo seed that year. :emoji_smiley: So after that I purposed to plant it later so it was not mature until just a little later, like the 3rd week of Sept, and then I did not notice nearly as many blackbird swarms on the milo.

FWIW, I have some milo this year and there were seed heads still available as of a week ago...so the adjustment appears to be working. I have never noticed any discernable squirrel activity in the milo...but I also have but a fraction of the squirrels we used to have. I believe the now ever present bobcats keep the squirrel population very low compared to where it used to be FWIW.

I'll give it a shot again but it doesn't seem like my deer are taking to it. Blue Jays and Black Birds all day every day though.

There are different types of milo,do you have any pictures?Deer use mine mostly in milk stage around late sept. and then will eat when it gets cold again.Main issue is everything eats it,coons,turkeys,game birds,blackbirds and thats why it's all gone.

I really don’t notice anything eat it to be honest. Mine was planted as part of a mix and the deer are spending plenty of time in it. I have found two antlers in the milo mix plot this year. It is actually the first year I have found any antlers in this plot believe it or not and it’s been a plot for 10 plus years.

It just seems the milo component makes them feel comfortable feeding in it. Not sure. I just know I will throw some in the mix again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys. I am laying out my plots for this year now. It looks like I am going to try it in two 1 acre plots and one 2 acre plot this year to see how it works in my area. I will have to modify the plates and planting speed of my planter to get the seed count right, but that's not an issue. Really curious how it will do on the 2 acre plot. It's high sandy ground, but it grows corn OK.

Thanks for the help guys. I am laying out my plots for this year now. It looks like I am going to try it in two 1 acre plots and one 2 acre plot this year to see how it works in my area. I will have to modify the plates and planting speed of my planter to get the seed count right, but that's not an issue. Really curious how it will do on the 2 acre plot. It's high sandy ground, but it grows corn OK.
If nothing else it will add plenty of organic matter back into your soil. Even at 4' tall there is quite a bit of biomass.

Are you going to put it in as a mix?

If nothing else it will add plenty of organic matter back into your soil. Even at 4' tall there is quite a bit of biomass.

Are you going to put it in as a mix?
Nope, going straight Milo, extra thick for cover,and yes organic matter is another important factor to build that sandy soil.

If you plant milo very thick you won't have heads,

If you plant milo very thick you won't have heads,

I was going to set up the planter on 15" rows with a plant every 3-4 inches in a row. Is that too heavy for heads? It's roughly twice as thick as I plant corn.

Way too heavy

Around 10lbs per acre which will end up being less than corn

Around 10lbs per acre which will end up being less than corn
Really, Welters suggests 15lbs per acre. I guess I better rethink this.

I didn't know exactly as my drill has a setting but I googled,I do know if you want grain you are better off thinner than heavy