American plums

chbarnha

5 year old buck +
I just placed an order with Nativ Nurseries for 4 American plums as well as 2 strawberrybush. I ordered these mainly because I just don’t have any summer fruiting trees and figured why not. My question is when these come in would I be better to pot these trees in bigger pots and wait till fall to plant or should I just go ahead and stick them in the ground? Anybody that has them, did you tube them or just cage them? How tall can I expect these to get and do you see any benefit from having American plums on your property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just planted 150 of them this spring. They will spread and get really thick. Which is what I wanted.

Not sure if you are in the south, or north, up north, I would plant them and keep them watered. In the south I would pot them and wait until fall.

Last edited:
I just planted 50 of them this spring. They will spread and get really thick. Which is what I wanted.

Not sure if you are in the south, or north, up north, I would plant them and keep them watered. In the south I would pot them and wait until fall.

I’m in Va

I have planted lots of them over the years. Deer browse them hard around here when they are small. I have tubed (with large 5' tubes) and have caged. I tend to cut the tubes down some after about 3 years on most because they tend to grow fast and want to spread out. I wouldn't say they like the tubes due to being a shrub but it has worked for me okay. If I were only planted a few then I would cage them. I think they will do better caged in the long run. I've planted a couple hundred over the years and decided to tube a bunch due to the cost difference with cages.

This one is 3 or 4 years old. My pictures aren’t great, but you can see it’s out of reach for me, so I’m guessing 8’ tall
54ff86ca3985a0eda77c1a1cf9b7dc1d.jpg

0d9ee3109fb195c6b103f588cb4db510.jpg

You can see they get really bushy. I haven’t tubed any but would think a cage would work better. I love them, really cool shrub that suckers, creates cover at ground level and hopefully will eventually produce some fruit.

I would pot them and fall plant with a cage, even a 3 footer; I haven’t seen a lot of browse although my deer numbers aren’t real high. If you give them a weed mat too, they’ll really take off.

Chickasaw worked much better in east texas than american plum in terms of growth,production,thicket formation,etc

Strawberry bush requires cages here as deer eat the whole plant. It is at the top of their list!!!

bill

I had caged, and weed mated mine. They all are taking off. I didn’t take any recent pictures, but I will see if I can get out that way today.

Here is a 3rd? leaf American plum. I believe this is a 4’ cage.
5b827833b5098f28a17c7744087b35ac.jpg

f66ef8f93a66eb3d2f73d4a44faa8599.jpg

I can just reach the top of this one. So far plums and hazelnuts have been the best growers for me.

These were planted about a month ago. Pictures don’t show much.

2FB43F42-31AB-45BF-B087-167C5700820F.jpeg54D98BEB-3F05-46DA-A409-A8EDD8911A7D.jpeg

I put in a new patch of American plums in late March. They seem to be growing well, took this pic today.

I1gxiys.jpg

I put in a new patch of American plums in late March. They seem to be growing well, took this pic today.

I1gxiys.jpg

Interesting how you just fenced in an area, and planted in the fence. I planted 2 in each cage, and placed the cages about 6 feet apart, not really in a row. But yours looks much easier to prep then mine did.

Interesting how you just fenced in an area, and planted in the fence. I planted 2 in each cage, and placed the cages about 6 feet apart, not really in a row. But yours looks much easier to prep then mine did.

My theory is to try start a little grove protected, then they should sucker and spread out past the enclosure when established. I have twenty planted inside the fence.
Did the same this year with a new batch of hazelnuts.

Plums.jpg
These were planted last year in central PA. I planted them in groups of 5 and caged them. They were a mix of sand hill, american, and chickasaw, that I got from Missouri DNR. I think all but one location they did really well. The location they didn't do well, the soil was extremely rocky and they got overtaken by ferns before I got some ground cover down. I've been really happy with the growth so far.

View attachment 43437
These were planted last year in central PA. I planted them in groups of 5 and caged them. They were a mix of sand hill, american, and chickasaw, that I got from Missouri DNR. I think all but one location they did really well. The location they didn't do well, the soil was extremely rocky and they got overtaken by ferns before I got some ground cover down. I've been really happy with the growth so far.

Have you noticed if deer have been trying to get at them yet?

Have you noticed if deer have been trying to get at them yet?
Haven't noticed. I'll look closer next time I get over there. They're caged but some of them are close to the edges and probably are growing out through the cage in places. They're right next to a food plot so hopefully they're in that more.

I posted some pics of my MDC wild plums in Kentucky here before, but updated pics from this past weekend. I planted some in 4' tubes as part of a plot screen in 2012, along with hazelnuts & elderberry without protection. My plums look more like small trees than shrubs, but suckering has really taken off in the last couple of years, as far as 12' to 15' from the original plants. Hard to get pics showing the suckers because they are mixed with hazelnuts and the few elderberry that survived (very few - the deer hammer those at my place). As mentioned before, MDC mixes american, chickasaw, sand, etc, so can't say which or how many of mine are american.

Plums are along the field side of the screen, I'd say 12' to 15' height for the tallest ones.

20220530_073118 edit.jpg
Looks like a heavy fruit year. Since they started fruiting 4-5 years in, at least some of them always have fruit in spite of their early average bloom time. Most years a lot of it.
20220530_073220 edit.jpg
I didn't try any caged plums, and even though these did well in tubes, those I planted elsewhere in tubes mostly fizzled and died after a couple of years. During that time I realized that native plums grow like weeds on this property; they show up literally anywhere, all the time, and left alone they do well. On trees like this volunteer in a plot (left, with camera hanging), deer hammer the suckers this time of year.
20220529_175252 edit.jpg
And yes, I see a definite benefit to having these on the property. Lots of bees in the spring, always songbirds camping out in them through the spring and summer, and critters vacuum up the fruit both in the tree and on the ground. Except while they are actively dropping fruit all day long, it's hard to find a single plum on the ground because they are cleaned up at least nightly, if not more often than that. They make a decent screen, especially when used in combination with other shrubs. They also begin bearing pretty young compared to persimmons and some of the other natives in my experience so far.

I've had years when I show up (I live in PA) to find entire plum trees defoliated by bagworms. I have shrugged and written them off as casualties of my absenteeism. I show up weeks later and they have put on completely new leaves and go on as if nothing happened. That's my kind of fruit tree.

has anyone had any luck propagating American plum from seed they harvested? if so what was the procedure you used? i tried one year but didn't get nay germination.

Haven't noticed. I'll look closer next time I get over there. They're caged but some of them are close to the edges and probably are growing out through the cage in places. They're right next to a food plot so hopefully they're in that more.
I just checked on them yesterday. There were a few branches that stuck through the cage that got nibbled but untouched for the most part. They're really growing. They might be over the 5' cage this summer and they were about a foot tall two springs ago.

has anyone had any luck propagating American plum from seed they harvested? if so what was the procedure you used? i tried one year but didn't get nay germination.

Did you crack the seed shell first before planting? I have read that the seeds need to go through cold stratification and you need to crack the outer sheil to expose that actual seed.

I have three american plums I planted in some pots this year - they have grown well - but now they are getting some kind of black diseased leaf. Every cultivated plum I have planted lives for two to three years - then dies in a week. I have quite a few wild mexican plums - but those fruits will lay on the ground and rot with nothing eating them. Anyone know what this is on my American Plums?

5E288DBD-99C4-4365-ABD9-B7C6CEDB4299.jpeg