American plums

Did you crack the seed shell first before planting? I have read that the seeds need to go through cold stratification and you need to crack the outer sheil to expose that actual seed.
i froze them but i didnt crack them, ill try that this year!

You can get seedlings cheap from state forestry.My sandhills get rubbed sometimes but deer have never hurt them.Now for some reason I have very few this year out of thousands of shrubs

Attachments

• sandplums.jpg
    sandplums.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 56
MY local state program has asain plum and some sort of sand plum specifically for long island area.

Cant speak much of them yet, i put them in last year. But, I did not cage them up in the adirondacks, and nothing nibbled them up over the winter. They're not growing as well as the ones at home, but all but one out of a dozen are alive and growing.

Bumper crop this year from my MDC plums. The small critters are already beating down the weeds under the trees, seeking out the drops.
20220819_074414 res.jpg
20220820_155434 res.jpg

ng270 those look good. How old are those trees? I planted a bunch from MDC 7 or 8 years ago and have still never seen a fruit. Wondering if they sent me some oddball type.

These were planted spring 2012. A number of them have been fruiting since 2017. From my experience yours should be bearing by now.

I found a huge plum tree in Washington state. The small yellow plums were delicious.

I have a bunch of seeds. I have them refrigerated. How does one crack the shell?

if direct seeding in the fall should I crack the shell also?