Amateur hour

NWWI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone else noticed that the first weekend of November rut hunt is becoming a joke. Every deer camp is opened up and people are doing everything imaginable. In my neighbor hood the guys with the nicest properties start cutting wood, riding ATV's, firing up the generator and hunting. I don't intend this to be a complaining thread but every pattern you get the deer on goes out the window. I look at the first week of November as you had better be done because everything is laying low. Has anyone else noticed this and are these hunters actually getting any deer? I'm just curious if you guys deal with it or change tactics.

I just texted my buddy a similar thing. Amateur hour...when the neighbor rattles, grunts, can calls for 2 hours straight and you watch deer fleeing the scene. First week of November, better use everything in your backpack! !!

We get an army of atv's with corn piled on them this time of yr. You see them everywhere; on gravel roads, at the gas station, on trailers going down the highway... Certainly not worried about disturbing their hunting spot.

I can't help but wonder if these guys have success ever. I know what you mean with non stop calling. Put that Can down!

On my way to work on Friday seen a guy headed into the woods at 715! Must be afraid of the dark and the flying squirrels! I'm probably in the stand when this guy is pouring his first cup of coffee in the morning but like you guys said amateur hour!

I can't help but wonder if these guys have success ever. I know what you mean with non stop calling. Put that Can down!
Sat close enough to see how much damage they were doing tonight. .they chased 7 different bucks that would have made it into them. All heard the calling and headed the other way about 150 yards out....exhausting:(

1st week of November?? Amateur hour started about 10 years ago around my neighborhood.
Everyone with a credit card has all the latest gear and they use it all constantly with no idea what they are doing.
Too bad that same credit card can't buy them "a clue".
I gotta have the most educated deer on the planet.

Lot of people go up hunting just to get away and dick around in the woods.

Has nothing to do with killing a deer for some of them......

On my way to work on Friday seen a guy headed into the woods at 715! Must be afraid of the dark and the flying squirrels! I'm probably in the stand when this guy is pouring his first cup of coffee in the morning but like you guys said amateur hour!
With all due respect, some highly experienced and accomplished whitetail hunters feel that arriving at the stand as dawn is breaking has a lot less disturbance. I used to try to sneak in an hour before dawn during the time when it's dead quiet. That tactic educated a lot of deer. There's nothing worse than being busted in the stand a half hour before shooting light.
I prefer to wait until some other wildlife start making some noise to cover my noise, and when I can see where I'm stepping. I can sound a lot more natural with a little bit of daylight. When accessing stands in the pitch dark it's much harder to blend in.
Ask Roger Rothaar about going in too early. I wouldn't consider a timely approach to the stand "amateur".

Just for fun cause it was 2 evenings in a row with this husband/wife combo In a tree. Kept count. This in an HOUR AND A HALF hunt mind you that they climbed down with 15 -20 minutes of shooting left :

Grunts 193 (loud ones)
6 long rattling sequences
And 91 can calls

Deer were running from them all night long. They are in a great spot. It's a shame they are killing their chances down to zero.

With all due respect, some highly experienced and accomplished whitetail hunters feel that arriving at the stand as dawn is breaking has a lot less disturbance. I used to try to sneak in an hour before dawn during the time when it's dead quiet. That tactic educated a lot of deer. There's nothing worse than being busted in the stand a half hour before shooting light.
I prefer to wait until some other wildlife start making some noise to cover my noise, and when I can see where I'm stepping. I can sound a lot more natural with a little bit of daylight. When accessing stands in the pitch dark it's much harder to blend in.
Ask Roger Rothaar about going in too early. I wouldn't consider a timely approach to the stand "amateur".
Same here. I don't go in until I can glass and make sure I'm not busting anything as I go in. I spent yrs of my bow hunting life setting in the dark, listening to deer walk by, pause, then stiff step away. The pattern would get earlier every morning; day 1 the steps would be just before dawn, day 2 the steps would be 30 min before dawn, day 3 would be 45 min before dawn, day 4 wouldn't have steps in the dark...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well that's is your opinion. We rake or leaf blow all of are trails going to send from stand for. Over 3 miles worth. I was in the stand hr before sunrise(I was a little late). If rather walk post deer in the dark and have them not what i am rather than walk by then when it's light out. My trail I took this am was 3/4 of a miles had deer chasing in the dark and you want to come in when it's light out c'mon man.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Just for fun cause it was 2 evenings in a row with this husband/wife combo In a tree. Kept count. This in an HOUR AND A HALF hunt mind you that they climbed down with 15 -20 minutes of shooting left :

Grunts 193 (loud ones)
And 91 can calls

Deer were running from them all night long. They are in a great spot. It's a shame they are killing their chances down to zero.

I was that guy once. Blind calling a bunch with expectations that they should come running. Don't know why I expected that because as a duck hunter I grew up with a "less is more" approach to calling. If they are coming in and their wings are set, don't screw it up by grabbing your call.

Grunts 193 (loud ones)
And 91 can calls

Wow lol
Although I will say I watched a young buck grunt prolly 30X in 10min on tue. Have a 1 min vid clip of him grunting at 10 yards. I have scared several good bucks off with calling. I have learned to call lightly and gotta have good structure around.

Grunts 193 (loud ones)
And 91 can calls

Are you sure THEY were deer hunting? Just saying!:D

I have seen this same type of pre rifle hunting behavior as well. I know if I am going to be serious about killing a deer I need to have it done by the end of October. Looking back I would guess that probably 80% or better of the deer I have killed were killed prior to November 1st. The amount of human stupidity increases substantially after that date. Which kind of pisses a guy off, because we all know for most part the prime time is just getting started.

Oh yeah. If I had a dollar for every time my neighbor grunted can called rattled short wheezed I could buy some better land and get away from him. But I love making food plots, hang tree stands, cutting shooting lanes, running trail cams and watching deer way more than harvesting one. Don't get me wrong I get excited but hunting to me is year around. I take January and February off to do some pig hunting and rabbit hunting. Hunting starts for me every April not November.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Grunts 193 (loud ones)
And 91 can calls

Holy crap. Are you sure the deer weren't having an orgy in front of their stand :eek:

I'm usually in my stand at least an hour before light because of all those yahoo's. I'm of the crowd that thinks deer are going to settle back down after I've walked threw and gone in my stand. First light is your best chance at a big one. If I'm pissing around waiting for first light on the field edge he's probably walking by my empty stand in the woods. Another thing is that you could be the most quiet person on earth and still push deer you don't know about. Most big bucks I've seen down in AZ don't even let you know they were there. They just sneak away without you knowing they were there. No flag, no weez, no blowing. Just walk out on ya.

Here's a typical amateur in these parts. They walk through this field, IN THE DARK (take note bigshooter19), they blow all the deer out because they can't see the deer in the dark, but the deer do indeed see them in the dark (take note bigshooter19) and then they leave through the same route in the dark after quitting time and blow deer out. These guys have phd's in the education of deer. Then they complain because all the deer hang out on my place. So what do they do? They replace the homemade blind with a pop up and proceed to erect it FIVE YARDS from the base of my tree:mad:
90% of these bowhunting wizards are carrying crossbows.Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 5.47.21 PM.jpg

My camp sees deer in archery season because we are on foot - no ATV's. Only 5 of us archery hunt, and we see deer. When our bear season comes in, and then for rifle deer season, we have about 15 or 16 ATV's all fired up and driving right out to their stands before first light. Every year it's the same thing. And each year, guess how many deer those guys kill - ZERO !!! That's why I don't hunt at my camp the first week of rifle season.

But it's NOT the ATV's .......... heck, you can drive right up to deer and they don't even run - they watch you drive by. !!! ( the claim made by those ATV riders ) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p The sound of 15 noisy, exhaust puking, gas-fumey ATV's riding thru the woods at 6:00 a.m. won't scare a big old, grey-faced monster buck off the property ........... o_O

Ever since ATV's began to be used at my camp, the rifle season deer kill has gone down to almost zero - year in and year out. Before ATV's, when on foot going to stands, deer kill was not bad.

Just posted after your insightful post of an " expert " !! ^^^^^ LOVE IT !!!!!!